Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on July 31, 2007
This book had me in stitches from the start. It is a wise-cracking look at the relationships between liberals and conservatives, and how to bring a lib over to your side. (There is a companion book about how to beat a conservative by the same author).
He includes funny anecdotes, as well as tools to actually help you debate an opponent without starting a fist-fight. If you like political humor, you'll like this book. If you're liberal, you can laugh at yourself, or go get "How to win a Fight with a Conservative"
44 comments|55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 31, 2008
Even though I am what would traditionally be seen as a Liberal, I have to say that I found this book quite amusing. I just worry that some people take some of these viewpoints a little too seriously.

Daniel Kurtzman takes all of the traditional jibes and cliches about liberals and turns it into a hilarious charicature that people of any political persuasion can enjoy. Perhaps the most enjoyable part of this miniature book is the 'Liberal Hall Of Shame'. It's packed full of deviants, miscreants and perverts alike and offers an amusing digression on the misdemeanours that are hidden in the liberal closet.

I have yet to read Kurtzman's companion book 'How To Win A Fight With A Conservative', but if it's as good as this one I'm sure it will be a worthwhile purchase.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon January 25, 2012
Daniel Kurtzman is a former Washington correspondent turned satirist, and is now the editor of the political humor website which is part of the New York Times Company's About.com network. His book How to Win a Fight with a Conservative is a "companion" to this one (in fact, they have a substantial amount of text that is the same in both books).

This 2007 book has an overall satirical tone (e.g., with chapter titles such as "How to Win Friends While Antagonizing People"; various multiple-choice tests to determine "What Breed of Conservative Are You?", etc.), but it also contains some rather cogent arguments (particularly in Chapter 7, "Kick-A__ Arguments: A Step-by-Step Guide"); for example, "No one argues that the economy fared well while Clinton was in office. But after the bubble burst, he left us all stuck in a recession at the end of his term, clinging to our worthless Pets.com stock." (Pg. 129)

The book concludes by identifying "Six Unconventional Things You Can Do to Save the World from Liberals" (e.g., "Make Conservative Babies," "Haunt Democrats from the Grave," etc.).

The book will alternately make you laugh, as well as think. (I'd definitely suggest reading it alongside his other book, though.)
on July 26, 2012
Some truly funny digs at liberals and clever strategies for keeping them on the defensive. I loved it. A must-read for any outspoken conservative, or even a liberal who wants to know what the other side thinks.
on January 13, 2013
This book gives the Conservative thinker ammo to use against liberals who know so much that simply isn't true. Most of it is done in a lighthearted manner and much of what the author points out could possibly make a liberal think (a definite maybe). It is a fast read and is a good gift to any conservative family member or friend who enjoys politics with a good dose of humor.
on July 31, 2007
I loved Dan's companion book about winning fights with conservatives, but I was worried I might find it difficult to laugh at the political party I'm counting on to save the universe from our present administration. I need not have worried: liberals are as ridiculous as any other politicians. Oh yes, they do have feet of clay. After spending so much time feeling helpless, enraged and filled with hatred, it feels really good to laugh. I needed these books!
on January 7, 2008
My husband does not read for pleasure. I bought this for him for Christmas and he actually is **reading** it! Haven't heard any complaints, just a snicker or laughter now and then, while he's entranced in it. It's a miracle I tell you! He's enjoying it in spite of himself..
on June 30, 2014
I enjoyed this book so much I just ordered its companion, How to Win a Fight with a Conservative hoping to find more to laugh at. I've never been in doubt that people at both ends of the spectrum forget that when they become famous, they would do better to sound a little bit informed and intelligent

I particularly liked the part where famous people, politicians and entertainers, are pinned by their most ridiculous comments. Obama and his 57 state campaign tour and Sean Penn and his inability to quit smoking while Bush was President are two of my favorites. Then there's Cameron Dias and Carol Mosley Braun.
on December 10, 2012
The book is humorous but nothing more. I was looking for serious writing on strategy and tactics; it was not there. The book is good for the coffee table or if you want some laugh out loud lines.
on November 13, 2012
Come-on you guys! Buy a copy of this and send it to a Republican Congress Man - and Please, don't you all send one to Speaker Boner.