Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc CaseLangVeirs Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on November 26, 2011
While it is true that Mark Cuban's eBook "How to Win at the Sport of Business" is simply a compilation of his blog posts (which are all available online for free), this book has something that his blog doesn't. Editing. I've read a number of his blog posts over the years and a few things are clear to me: 1) Mark is a smart, successful guy. 2) He has a lot of good ideas and information in his head and he's willing to share what he knows with anyone willing to take the time to read what he writes. 3) He's not a great writer. (His blog is filled with typos and weird punctuation issues.)

Thankfully, this book has been edited. The punctuation errors so common on his blog have been fixed, and most typos corrected (though there are still a few, and in some of the storytelling parts he changes from present tense to past tense). The blog posts have also been arranged in a logical way so that this book reads very comfortably as a complete book. That said, my biggest complaint about this book is also the editing. There is one blog post that appears twice (with different titles though). I don't know how someone misses something like that.

Small quirks aside, this book is a good, fast read filled with lots of valuable information. There is by no means anything earth shattering here, but there is plenty of useful information for anyone running a business or thinking of starting one.
44 comments|116 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 21, 2011
Every since I started reading Mark Cuban's weblog, BlogMaverick.com, I've been emailing links of my favorite posts to my employees and business associates. I subscribe to it on my RSS feed and typically read every entry within a matter of hours. So when I saw Mark's entry on Facebook that he had produced an ebook for sale, I bought it without a second thought. I must admit, I read the foreword and was immediately irritated to learn that the ebook was simply a collection of his most popular posts, many of which I'd read 10x over. Oh well, it's $2.99 as I read his first post which he discusses his humble beginnings coming to Dallas as a broke college grad. 5 hours later, I'm finished with the book and I'm convinced that was probably the best $3 I've spent on a book. If you're a blogmaverick reader his old posts have been updated with details and commentary that you will find very interesting and if you're not a blog maverick reader, you will no do doubt find find inspiration and more importantly, practical advice that applies to any business.

What I have always found most impressive about Mark is how little he cares about what people think about and how passionate he is about getting 'IT' right. This book arranges his rags to riches tale in a chronological order that will be of great practical use to any entrepreneur.

One thing I've felt throughout this NBA Lockout and ever more so after reading this ebook is that Mark Cuban must be going absolutely insane sitting in these 'business meetings' over the NBA's labor issues with dinosaurs like Billy Hunter and David Stern. I'll borrow a quote from his post "Twelve Cuban Mantra for Success":

"11. Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered
This is one I got from my partner Todd Wagner. He is right on. Sometimes you have to go for the jugular, but more often than not, the biggest mistake people make is getting too greedy.

Every good deal has a win-win solution. There is nothing I hate more than someone who tries to squeez every last penny out of a deal. Who often raises the aggravation level to the point where it's not worth doing the deal. Which also raises the dislike level to the point where even if a deal gets done, you look for ways to never do business with that person or company again.

Business happens over years and years. Value is measured in the total upside of a business relationship, not by how much you squeezed out in any one deal."

hrrmm...wonder if this could apply to Dan Gilbert and MJ??

Well as I digress, I'll end this review with saying that rather than emailing links to my employees, friends and business associates, I'm going to buy this ebook for them.
11 comment|62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 23, 2012
I just read the section "Why entrepreneurs shouldn't use a PR firm" last weekend and I was inspired to send out my own email to local media. I used the format provided and sent one out to all of the local TV stations and newspapers on behalf of my company artconnect.ca

This proved to be an excellent plan! Today a rep from the leading morning TV talk show in my city (Edmonton) called me. They want to feature my company on their show on April 13th. This is HUGE exposure.

Thanks so much for the inspiration. Reading this gave me the confidence to take publicity into my own hands.
on March 17, 2016
Even though my parents aren't Chinese, they still wanted me to become a doctor growing up. I am not a doctor currently. I never wanted to become a doctor and I still don’t. My dream was to become a professional basketball player. Given the high competition and the low success rate, I realized I couldn't do what I so passionately strived for.

Those who can, do; Those who can’t, teach; And those who can’t teach sometimes write a book. This is the logic that helped me decide I should become a basketball coach instead. That way I wasn't giving up on my basketball dream entirely.

I came across Mark Cuban’s book. I took a look at the cover and misread the title. This led me to safely assume this was a book about how to win at basketball. Knowing Mark is a notorious billionaire entrepreneur, but mainly also the outspoken owner of the Mavericks, I decided to buy the book.

To my surprise when it arrived, I realized it was actually a book about winning at the sport of BUSSINESS. Not wanting to let it go to waste, I read it and can tell you, that it was one of the best reads I’ve ever done.

In this book Mark expresses his way of thinking, and explains his motivation and drive. He does this while giving specific examples through various instances off his life. Within this book, you can find great life advice, at a very cost friendly price.

Buying and reading this book will do 3 things:
- Help you get familiar with who Mark Cuban is, as a thinker and a doer.
- Motivate you to work hard and aim for that goal you have.
- Make Mark Cuban even richer.

Although I put my coaching dream on hold until Mark writes a book about how to win in the sport of BASKETBALL, I became motivated and am using his advice in every way possible. I hope that through this book, you too can find that motivation you need.
on March 25, 2016
After reading this poorly thrown together book of blog posts and self-aggrandizing I realized two things.

1.) Cuban is an undeniable hustler.

2.) I don't really like him very much.

This book reads a bit like a cautionary tale of "if you don't put in 1000% you'll fail" and I actually like that. Some really cool anecdotes go a long way towards validating his philosophies on business, and life in general. You can actually learn quite a bit from this book.

However, he's incredibly abrasive and condescending, like he's preaching from a 10ft high pulpit. Granted, he has the right to do so, it just comes off that way like He's WAYYYY up here and you, dear reader, are way the F down there. Not entirely demeaning, but certainly a power play. Then again, the entire world hits him up for his opinion and much like Ted Nugent (sorry for the comparison Mark) you're going to get some sound bytes, some "I DGAF what you think, this is how it really is" opinions - and I respect that and he's certainly earned the ability to give his, I just don't always agree.

So, maybe saying I "dislike" him is a bit harsh, it's just a feeling and not entirely borne from simply reading this book. If you love him, however, you will love this book because the dude can tell a story as well as anyone and it's quite fascinating. Just don't expect to get the keys to the castle and be ready to put up with some strong opinions.
on March 19, 2016
This is actually really difficult to read. Although it has really good content, it is very hard to follow even with the editing. The stories tend to ramble on. I think that the actual content is good because it tells Mark's surprising story in a really real way. The only difficulty is staying focused in reading it because it tends to just go off on tangents. This was originally written for blogs after all. It would be nice if an editor could do some more work on it to make it less difficult to follow. Mark happens to be my favorite Shark. His words come off sounding like he does on the show. I find his story very believable and the fact that he believes hard work can make anyone succeed very inspirational.
on April 10, 2015
I read this in one afternoon. The pages turn quick and man they really pack a punch. Loaded with great soundbites that anyone who aspires to own their own business should know about. I have 2 pages of notes that I look back to periodically.
on May 10, 2014
I read this book and the other one Mark Cuban: The Maverick Billionaire on the same afternoon. Actually I realized after I wrote a review of the second one I had gotten the titles confused. My review of the second one was actually meant for this book. The second book was interesting and had some additional information about Mark Cuban which was not included in this book. Of the two books I would recommend this one more than the second. I was not a fan of Mark Cuban and always thought he should go to charm school as he seemed rude, arrogant, obnoxious. After reading how he built his career I think he is obviously much smarter than he acts, had the ability to dig deep and persevere to learn everything he could before starting his own business. He obviously earned his fortune and luck had little to do with it. I like the fact that he treats his customers well and gives generously to good causes. He is a risk taker and does his homework before making any business commitment.
on April 12, 2015
This isn't an actual book of new writings, but a collection of Cuban's blog posts. In that respect, you could go read his blog and save yourself the money on the book. Since it's fairly inexpensive, it's not such a big deal to buy it.

Cuban's story is well known, but you get a better look at how he got where he is from the first person perspective. He doesn't glamourise his trials, and he makes it obvious what he considers the secret to entrepreneurship - hard work and constant selling. By providing examples of that through his life, you get to see how he backs up his ideas with his own hard work and how he was able to make his billions.

As an entrepreneur, there are a lot of reasonable lessons to be taken from the book. As a role model, I'm not sure Cuban fits the bill - he strikes me as someone with too big a chip on his shoulder. Given that he has billions and I don't, take that for whatever it's worth.
on January 11, 2016
Difficult to finish. It's like a compilation of blog posts. The writing is good and entertaining at times. But overall, didn't seem to move in a logical progression which makes it hard to know where the journey was going or if there was a clear point. The writing voice is very likable and I'll probably continue to pick this book up every now and then. It might be years before I get to the last page. At this time, I don't feel the book's style gives me any sense of urgency to complete it.