Industrial Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for the Winter Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Shop Now HTL

on January 8, 2015
Before I read this book i wish i knew it was half written on Marks Twitter. Mark is a very public nice guy, and with that said he puts many tips on his social media pages for everyone to see for free. This book is geared toward people thinking about starting a business, or for the ones that already have one ,but don't know the next step in take it to the market and actually make some money off it. Giving this book a five star was no brainier for me because it was informative to the point to where i might be able to start a business if I put in the effort. One thing lacking was keeping me entertained. I had trouble wanting to finish the book, but glad I did. A succeeding point are the many ways Mark gets the points across weather its by story, quotes, or pictures the information is in my head.
on February 23, 2012
Mark Cuban made his money by selling his small company to Yahoo. never made a dime. At the time Cuban sold the business, the company only had 22 million dollars in revenue but a whopping 18 million dollar loss. Yahoo after spending millions on decided to shut it down only after a few years because it kept losing money. At the time of the purchase only accounted for a mere 2% of Yahoo's total revenue. Yahoo brass must of felt like fools to have paid so much for so little.

Cuban's other companies don't make money either. The Dallas Mavericks have lost millions of dollars every year, even last year when they won the championship. HDNET, Cuban's cable channel, loses money, the films that Cuban produces also lose money and after buying Landmark Theaters several years ago, which also lost money, he now wants to sell. LOL The internet sites he invests in like have all been failures. What is even more troubling is that he is currently under investigation for insider trading by the SEC, which sets a bad example.

There is not one example of Cuban making money in any of his businesses, so I have to ask what good advice could he possibly give readers? He often talks about his business skills but for all of business skills he does not make money and isn't making money what good businesspeople do?

As far as the book is concerned, the writing is poor. Cuban is not a writer and it shows. Most of the material here has already been written about in magazines and newspapers. There is really nothing new.
1313 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 20, 2014
Just a personal tale of how he did it, not much there to really learn from. Want my money back.
on August 1, 2014
This book has some real nuggets but most of all, it's a fun read. Cuban's a really interesting guy and smart as hell. He knew things can change in a heartbeat and he hedged his entire new-found wealth when many didn't and he told 'em and told 'em. Then the tech bubble burst and Yahoo cratered. Now he has all his money and they are working stiffs again. I'm sure he hates to say "he told 'em so" but "he told 'em so." I wish him well.
on September 2, 2015
Good book. I learned that Mark is the type of person that is very passionate about winning, he does a ton of reading and preparation and reaches out to a lot of people and makes it happen. He also knows that hes a very disorganized person and he accepts this and has other people around him that are organized.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon September 17, 2015
Length: print, 84 pages; audible, 2 hours 8 minutes.

This is worth every penny and every minute of your time. Let me correct that. I would have felt money ahead if the price was doubled, and the time required to read and to listen to this had been 10 hours.

Although I am old enough that I am unlikely ever to again enter the domain of the sole proprietor, nor even to again try my hand at being an entrepreneur, I found myself often nodding at the words written by Mark Cuban.

Cuban states near the end, a phrase similar to that I read as a teen. Can't recall if it originated with Dale Carnegie or Norman Vincent Peale. To paraphrase: he who holds out for top dollar winds up with an empty wallet. A true entrepreneur is the person who most often closes a deal in which both sides believe have gained from the transaction.

Another of his wise nuggets concerns the need to make it easy for the prospective buyer. The path of least resistance. My example:

As a young 15-year old in southeast LA County I went to work for a 17-year old (employed by his parents) selling Zif, a liquid soap produced by Bestline and marketed door to door for $2.70 per quart, plus 5% sales tax,

Sales were slow, so I asked my boss, since the bottles (or company literature) stated 'suggested retail price $$2.70. "Can I change the price?"

"Sure," he replied. I think he expected me to sacrifice my profit by lowering the price.

You see, I figured the 5% was confusing the women, who had to calculate 5% times 2.70. I felt raising the price to $3.00 plus 15 cents tax would be easy for the customers and proved my theory was right.

At $2.70 my sales earned me about minimum wage, or $1.25 per hour.

At $3.00 plus tax? I averaged $2.50 per hour. Further, when his parents asked me how I was outselling the 22 other teenagers, I had no reply. For two periods (I think of ten days each) I sold all my nave tort and my boss accompanied me one day. When he learned I had raised the price, he was scared I was breaking the law, so I was ordered to return the price to $2.70 plus tax.

My income slipped back to the same as a dish washer at a local restaurant, so I got a new job.

My point is that Mark Cuban is exactly right: the herd will always proceed along the path of least resistance and will go for the easy fulfillment. They don't want to think or calculate. They abhor reading manuals and assembling toys or whatever, except as a hobby. Use that knowledge, at which Appl excels at, and provide them the service or product that is quicker and/or easier.

Another point he makes is regarding Microsoft bundling of his software at a low price. On this point, Cuban provides only one part of the picture, explaining the genius of Bill Gates.

The other part, the marketing stunt that preceded Office, was when Microsoft employees gave free copies of Word and Excel to their friends. As I recollect, they were allowed, or encouraged, to give copies to five friends. No charge.

The practice ceased along about Word 5.0, as I recall. That was likely because people were hooked on Microsoft, just as a heroine addict gets so dependent on his 'fix' he will do anything to get enough money for that next high.

Some readers will scoff at this review. Okay, so be it. But, with 600-plus reviews already posted, I wanted my review to add some value to the wisdom of my favorite shark.

Enjoy How to Win at the Sport of Business and learn from a master, Mark Cuban, the Maverick tycoon of Texas.
on January 23, 2015
Personally I do not understand the criticism of some of the reviewers stating that this is ‘only’ a collection of blogs from Mark Cuban. To those I say, “If you don’t want to shell out $2.99 for a collection of Mark Cuban’s thoughts you are probably never going to be as successful as Mark Cuban.” Successful people know that everything costs something, including intelligent thoughts. Personally I think that all important blogs should be published in blog-collection-books; filing them in “archives” puts them in storage whereas publishing them as ebooks keeps the discussion going.

This is a great book.

On a romantic note it was sweet to find out that Mark Cuban had driven a Mazda RX-7. My father had driven one when I was a teenager and I loved that car. However, my father’s RX-7 (w/ Wankel engine) was not golden liken Cuban’s, it was canary yellow (= not that classy but still very fast).

In his book Mark Cuban reaches far back to his (humble) beginnings and keeps on going. That’s what makes the book interesting. E.g. he explains why he won’t call his theaters when he wants to watch a movie and why watches the Mav’s games with the general audience.

How it is not important how we start out our professional lives; the more different careers we check out, the better. Of course, all of that is only true if we want to learn; a point which Cuban makes repeatedly.

While Cuban hits a lot on often discussed business principles, he also mentions truths which are not commonly discussed –

Here are some of the truths Cuban (opposite to others, who bask themselves in their own glory) almost yells out,

“… Everyone is a genius in a bull market…”, yep, that’s because not everybody knows how much the next investor makes in that bull market.
“… No one is going to know or care about your failures, and neither should you. All you have to learn is learn from them and from those around you because … All that matters in business is that you get it right once. Then everyone can tell you how lucky you are…” (I appreciated the humor displayed in the last sentence.)

For me, the most interesting part of the book is the chapter “The Path of Least Resistance”. Even though I graduated with a masters in Film & Mass Media and knew the famous quote “TV is the path of least resistance”, I had never looked at it like Cuban does. He extends the quote’s meaning to other fields and makes this book a tremendously valuable read. 5 stars
on June 13, 2012
I'm glad Mark Cuban finally wrote this book!

I read it twice in a row and took lots of notes. There's so much value in this read.

Mark emphasis on the journey that you have to take on, in order to achieve success and reach anything you want.
It's a journey and as Steve Jobs said: 'The journey is the reward'
All this is very inspiring and I would recommend it to anyone who is aiming big in this world, anyone who wants success and wants to learn from the bests how to work on it.

I liked his philosophy and I can relate to his sayings. I have a similar view on 'The Business of Sports', because I myself am found of sports and even more of competition.
I believe that sports and further more the competition is a GREAT school for life.
Of course this is a huge advantage when you grow and get introduce to the real tough game of life, and then to the game of Business.
Like in the book, I consider Business the Ultimate sport.

It's really the psychology of achievement of a competitor that is explained in a easy, fun and simple way so that we can relate to it and then follow with the best implementation.
I, like the author, believe in entering a 'never ending journey of improvement' is the best way to achieve success and fulfillment in your life and this in any field whatsoever.

Congrats to the author for all his hard work, endeavors, failures and finally his great achievements (including this book)!
on December 10, 2014
As a young professional I enjoyed Mark's advice on trying many jobs until you find what you love. This book will open your eyes and motivate you to become successful in an industry you truly enjoy.
on April 17, 2013
Easy read inspiring stories. Cuban gives plenty of life examples that make it relatable to anyone. Funny comments. Recommended to college students and aspiring entrepreneurs.