5.0 out of 5 stars Short, Inspired, and to the Point!
I have read well over 1000 books over the past 10 years. And out of all those books, there are probably about 20 to 30 of them that I could honestly say were paradigm-shifting, life-altering in their implications and/or profound in their application. This book is now in my Top 20.

Let's begin with 2 facts:
1. The book is short. It will probably take you an...
Published on December 28, 2011 by Jeremy

Published on January 22, 2012 by Kent Gordon

5.0 out of 5 stars Short, Inspired, and to the Point!, December 28, 2011
This review is from: How Do You Kill 11 Million People?: Why the Truth Matters More Than You Think (Hardcover)

Let's begin with 2 facts:
1. The book is short. It will probably take you an hour to read from cover to cover. The "meat" of the book only takes up the first 47 pages. The remainder is a candid interview with the author, a reading guide, and a bibliography. Believe when I say that the "shortness" of the book doesn't diminish it's value in the slightest. Those 47 pages are Gold, not just because of what the author wrote (You, me and everyone else could stay up all night, every night for a week and not think of half the stuff this guy comes up with), but for the questions, ideas, and impications he leaves the reader with that he didn't have to write down.
2. Andy Andrews is known best for his "Fiction with a Moral" approach. This is not one of those books. It isn't warm and fuzzy. It won't make you feel giddy when you finish it. It's Nonfiction, non-religious, non-partisan and borderline unclassifiable. The only way I know how to put it is by analogy: Two speakers of antiquity, Cicero and Demosthenes. It was said of Cicero that when he would finish speaking, everyone would agree that he had given a well-worded, finely-crafted speech. It was said of Demosthenes that when he would finish speaking, the people stood and said "Let Us March!". This book is more Demosthenes than Cicero. Just like every other book this author has written, it is neither a call to emotion nor intention. It's a call to Action. It's a call to Honesty, first and foremost with ourselves.

I'm a big believer that books don't change people's lives, people do. But the books help. They provide the structures that allow us to climb a little higher and see a little farther than we would on our own. And the best of them don't confirm what we already thought, but challenge us to ask the questions we never thought to ask (or were too afraid to ask). No book has all the answers, and you should never let any one author do all the talking. But after reading as much as I have, I can honestly say I was sincerely affected by what this author was able to do in such a limited space. This book is bigger than its size or length give it credit for. But when all is said and done, it's a small book that can be as profound or as trivial as you are willing to make it. I hope it inspires you, as it did me, to ask the good questions, and then go looking for the honest answers. Enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Book that Needs to Be Shared, January 3, 2012
You've heard the joke: "How do you know a politician is lying? If his lips are moving." Politicians lie. It's become an accepted axiom in American politics. But the consequences of a populace that simply accepts lies as part of the political process can be devastating.

It's no coincidence that Andy Andrews' new book releases on the same day as the Iowa caucuses kick off the election season. Andrews doesn't focus on Republican or Democrat, left or right. Instead, he seeks the one piece of common ground everyone should be able to agree on. Whatever your political leanings, do us all a favor and pick up a copy of "How Do You Kill 11 Million people?"

5.0 out of 5 stars Wake up America, please, December 21, 2011
TJR "rains98" (Gainesville, Florida United States) - See all my reviews
We've been lied to for so long that lying has become an accepted part of our culture. What if everyone told the truth? In a book you can read in one sitting Andy Andrews has punched us in the stomach with a truth so profound you can't forget it. This book can change the way you think about politics and politicians and the direction of our nation. And it can even change the way you see yourself. Please read it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, but more of a really meaty magazine article than a book, January 22, 2012
Kent Gordon (Santa Monica, CA) - See all my reviews
As others have said the book is very short. There are many ways the author could have further developed his thesis: contemporary examples of lies rotting the political system here or elsewhere in the world, moving outside the political sphere to particular industries that are rotting on a foundation of lies, much more depth in the main holocaust example on the how the lies developed and built on each other, examining the Judeo-Christian moral foundation of truth, looking to example of our founding fathers, etc. Any one of those would have the potential of producing a richly textured book. When I finished reading the book I was disappointed, but I realized the disappointment came mainly from my conception of what a book is.

This is more of a meaty magazine article with a study guide and extensive bibliography. After some reflection I have concluded that it is quite brilliant. There is now an unspoken acceptance of lies in too much of our society. We can't fix what is broken without broad consensus on the problem. Building on a foundation of truth is something most people can rally around. This book gets to the heart of understanding the diabolical evil of building on a foundation of lies. Developing further into a full length book would risk obscuring the core point that may seem obvious, but is not where we are as a society. That is its brilliance.

I still have to give it three stars though because a book that is based on the premise we need to build on a foundation of truth needs to be scrupulously truthful in how it is marketed. Because it is a different format from a standard book the marketing of it has to lead with that fact. It should also be priced somewhere in the $1.99-$3.99 range to reflect the difference in length, though I don't dispute that it is a much more valuable contribution that the vast majority of books.

4.0 out of 5 stars Starting the Conversation, December 25, 2011
Going about your day, it's always hard to find something that will stop you dead in your tracks and actually think. Stop. Contemplate the course of our actions in a way that makes you think and wonder, "What are we doing?"

"How Do You Kill 11 Million People" is an important book that all 545 people in Congress should read. Discuss. And really take into account each and every action they've taken to make our country what it is. Yes, we the people of the United States outside of Congress make choices, but Congress, is responsible for making those choices be heard (or unheard).

This is an important book that needs to be read and discussed. Thanks Andy, for starting the conversation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heard Understood Acknowledged, January 3, 2012
This book is powerful in its brevity! It is common sense applied to historical facts and current events. Yet is gives helpful insight into human nature. I found myself dropping my guard to read the thoughts and concerns of a fellow American. I did not have to take a side to see his side. The truth does matter more than we think and this book causes me to think.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Timely Call-To-Action, December 19, 2011
This book is exactly what the country needs headed into an election year...any country for that matter! Finally, a message that everyone, on both sides of the political spectrum can and should agree on. I've been a big fan of Andy Andrews ever since The Traveler's Gift and I enjoy how he weaves a profound and powerful message into a story, but this book is in a class by itself. While it should only take you about 20-25 minutes to read the entire book, you'll be reflecting on it's content for much longer.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Difficult Truth, January 6, 2012
Andy Andrews is best known for motivational and what some call fuzzy fictional stories that inspire. So how does a successful New York Time bestseller leave his comfort zone and write a book with a title like, How Do You Kill 11 Million People?
For those who have visited the author's, History Summer Camp Series, perhaps that question is not so hard to answer. Andrews is an admitted late blooming history wonk. But his interest goes far beyond that of a collector of facts. He is more concerned with how often we fail to make logical connections between the past and present.

Be forewarned; this book is short, blunt, and sobering. In typical eBook spoiled brat fashion, a couple of Amazon reviewers give the book two stars because it costs too much for such a short work. If you share the attitude that the value of the words of a book is solely determined by its length and format I would suggest you not waste your time reading any further.
Did I mention this book is blunt? The first 20 pages introduce us to some staggering numbers that chronicle what populations allowed to be done to themselves in the last century.

The sobering part of Andrew's premise is that in many ways the Holocaust victims of Nazi Germany "allowed" themselves to be killed. He asks the question this way. What follows is the author's brief yet detailed account of how Hitler and Eichmann managed to carry out their "Final Solution" as the citizens of Germany and for a good while the rest of the world, looked the other way. The bottom line answer is simple yet difficult to swallow.
Though Andrews never names a political party and repeatedly disavows any particular agenda, I have no doubt various and even opposing ideologies will attach themselves to his words. Such will be a disservice to the truths presented here. Liars and a willingness to be lied to are not the sole territory of one party. This book and history shows there is plenty of that to go around and be shared by all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoughtful insight on us!, January 4, 2012
History and the past are too quickly forgotten--or never learned. This book, which is a 20-minute read, is thoughtful, providing more questions than answers, but the questions need to be asked while we are capable of seeking answers!

Andy Andrews stresses he is not political, but perhaps we need politicans who think and express views as he does--not as a Democrat or Republican, but as an American who is concerned.

Well done, Andy!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Regardless of your political/religious beliefs, this will change your life, December 22, 2011
Every American citizen, or citizen of a democratic country for that matter, should read this book. It truly is a wake up call and turns the ignition in the minds of any thinking person. Mr. Andrews artfully delivers this all with no hint of bias, no preaching, and no finger pointing other than to us, the readers and citizens who elect and live by our own government.

How Do You Kill 11 Million People?: Why the Truth Matters More Than You Think