Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Uglies (Uglies Trilogy, Book 1) forum

How appropriate is this book?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-15 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 10, 2006 9:17:22 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 11, 2006 12:56:32 PM PDT
Barlow says:
How appropriate is this book? Is there swearing? Explicit sexual content?

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2006 7:56:34 PM PDT
Holly says:
It is a lot better than some of the other YA books I've read, because it doesn't resort to graphic violence, swearing, or any of the eyebrow-raising content you mentioned. I rate it PG-13 for futuristic setting, mild if any swearing (I couldn't remember reading any bad words, especially not any that took God's name in vain), and brief mention of ***ual content. It's near the beginning, and they didn't use that word at all. All it mentioned were these "pleasure gardens that were scattered about New Pretty Town, and how people could disappear into it. That's why they called them pleasure gardens" (Not exact quote)

I hope this helps, from one conservative reader to another. It's rare to find good books that don't resort to any graphic content, but here it is! A lot better than the (bleep) laden Meg Cabot books that I stopped reading. :)

Happy reading!

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2006 7:32:15 AM PDT
Barlow says:
Great! Thanks! It's REALLY exciting to find a book that doesn't have explicit sexual content or take God's name in vain!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2006 6:35:42 PM PDT
Barlow says:
I've asked this same question on Pretties and Specials but can't seem to get a reply. Can anyone tell me about the appropriateness of the content of the others in the trilogy?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2007 2:48:56 PM PST
its k-a-t-e says:
I've read Pretties and I am going to be reading Specials soon.
Pretties is probably a little worse than Uglies, when it comes to sexual content. It isn't bad, but I suppose it would depend on age. But it isn't graphic, it just indicates that things have been going on. And the laungage is still incredibly mild, and it's appropriate in my opinion. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2007 8:38:36 PM PDT
My question is appropriate for what age? How mature is the individual reader? For what purpose? For home, to put in a public library, a school library? It really depends. I agree with the comments that it isn't explicit and the language is fine. The trilogy is a great exposure to girls (middle school age) who will otherwise not go near science fiction.

The Twilight series is another trilogy that alludes to things happening but is never explicit in detail (the author takes a stance on wanting to have a book that is not all about sex and drinking). However, if you object to vampires and otherworld content, this may not be the right series for you.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2007 6:01:15 PM PST
Doll-ar says:
well, I started reading these books when I was almost 12 and, so, I think that it would be appropriate for people who are almost 12 at the youngest.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2008 10:51:33 AM PST
Natureluvr3 says:
I would say around 10 would be the youngest. there is NOTHING innapropriate in this book

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2008 5:58:49 PM PST
Doll-ar says:
no, more like age 12 or an 11 year old getting close to age 12; there may not be cuss words or anything but there are words like crap and my mom told me to wait until I was almost 12 so...

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2009 8:00:22 AM PST
I am very conservative and found this book to be nearly harmless - surprising in YA literature. It is definitely YA - not children's lit. due to a romantic encounter that involves a kiss - that's it. There are other passages about pretties' behavior that, as an adult, I wondered what it was referring to, so they are definitely veiled enough for a young reader and the behavior, while initially admired is later brought into question. I would not object to my 13 year old reading it, but it does delve into the boy/girl attraction/crush interactions. The first step the couple took, in this case however, was to make an introduction to loving parents - a very unusual concept in teen romance. It presents healthy parental relationships, friendship, ethical decisions, and questions society's emphasis on the standard of "prettiness." It was an awesome book!

Posted on Mar 15, 2009 9:59:35 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 15, 2009 10:17:34 AM PDT]

Posted on Jun 30, 2009 2:30:00 PM PDT
Grace says:
I am 13 and I was still that age when I read this book. I think you should be at least 11 to read it, and for Pretties and Specials, maybe a little older. For Extras, you should be at least 11, same as Uglies. Extras was my favorite of the series.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2009 8:00:51 AM PST
JS says:
Thanks...I'm a very conservative parent...trying to approve a book set that my daughter wanted that I had never heard of ...the reviews sold me...and she will be getting the set for Christmas.

Posted on Dec 25, 2009 6:18:12 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 25, 2009 6:19:01 PM PST
Near the end of the book Pretties and the third book: Specials, introduce the idea of self-injury.

Posted on Jun 19, 2012 12:56:32 PM PDT
There's nothing inappropriate about the first book; in fact it will read better with a younger audience. Does end on a cliffhanger, so be prepared to feel like you have to read the next book(s). I'm a little concerned about the next two books since they have a "clique" called "The Cutters" -- you do get the sense that people are worried about them, but it goes way too far in the 3rd book.

All the books have a lot of action, but I think much of it is filler. The main story line gets off track in the second and third books; there are a lot of adventures that don't seem necessary to the main plot, which becomes pretty convoluted. Made my head spin.

Really not worth the read; certainly not worth the cost on kindle.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  12
Total posts:  15
Initial post:  May 10, 2006
Latest post:  Jun 19, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Uglies (The Uglies)
Uglies (The Uglies) by Scott Westerfeld (Paperback - June 30, 2005)
4.3 out of 5 stars (1,140)