How is the audio? Flip UltraHD Video Camera - Black, 8 GB, 2 Hours (3rd Generation) NEWEST MODEL

I only see a lot of comments about the video quality. What about the audio quality? Is that good too?
asked by BeckyBold on January 23, 2012
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 answers
A
votes
For acoustic concert, this is a terrible camera. iPhone4 has a better sound quality than this. However, I'm wondering if the sound quality would get better with an external microphone. Anybody has had any experience on this?
J. An answered on May 25, 2012

A
votes
I'd disagree with Pastiche. The audio quality is acceptable, even decent at close proximity. However, as soon as the subject is 10 or more feet away, the mics just aren't sensitive enough to pick up much. The end result is having to turn up your speakers to hear what's going on, leading to hearing more of the unwanted room noise and the hissing self-noise of the components...

I've personally worked with a half-dozen of these units and another dozen Flip Cams of various models, and audio is always the biggest complaint.

But if you're recording someone from 3 feet away who can project their voice, it will do the job nicely.
Ryan Weldon answered on May 3, 2012

A
vote
The audio was great until recently. I've not used my camera all that much since receiving it as a gift about 2 years ago. I recorded less than 30 videos. But this week when I made a video after a few months of little or no use, the audio has a clicking static sound that's louder than the audio track itself. Very annoying, and it ruined birthday video shots. I checked out different recommendations to ensure the battery was fully charged, reload the system software, and it didn't help. I can only use this camera to record video and will have to create a sound track if I decide to keep it. I can make decent videos with my point and shoot digital SLR and the sound is okay on those. Too bad; until this happened I really liked my FLIP HD camera.
Pastiche answered on February 29, 2012
‹ Previous   1   Next ›