Best Books of the Month Shop Men's Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Janet Jackson All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Amazon Gift Card Offer jrscwrld jrscwrld jrscwrld  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Fall Arrivals in Amazon Outdoor Clothing Kids Halloween

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 21, 2008 6:33:00 PM PST
The first time I had heard anything about the Hitchhikers Guide to the Gallaxy was the radio programs. I fell in love with them and so I had to find out more. I did some research on the author and then I loved it even more. I wish he was still alive so I could thank him for some of the best entertainment I have ever had in my life!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2009 3:46:44 PM PST
P. Wipf says:
I agree, I would sure like to have been able to meet the man. I remember when he died I was in a CS class in college; the professor announced it, and it seemed like just about everyone knew who he was and was sad or even stunned. I started reading his books in junior high, in fact I think I got one taken away by the teacher for reading it in class. Now I like to read the Hitchhikers' Guide every few years, and I'm sure I always will. I feel bad for people who haven't read or don't like the books, they are missing out. Now it's sad, you have to ask people if they like Douglas Adams--you can't ask if they like the Hitchhikers' Guide, they just say, "That was a stupid movie, you are dumb." Anyway, there is a douglasadams website and under the DNA section there are some articles he wrote that a person can read, I like "Maggie and Trudie", and "Riding the Rays".

Posted on Jan 28, 2011 10:45:22 AM PST
I did meet him; I still own an autographed copy of the first 4 hitchhiker's books. He was in Berkeley at Cody's books promoting "Mostly Harmless" and I went to hear him talk. I could not afford to buy his book at the time (starving student) but he didn't mind signing his old book for me. Very sad that he died so young!

Posted on Jun 6, 2012 5:15:47 PM PDT
RIP, Douglas Adams.
The guide helped me understand quantum mechanics, believe it or not. After I read the Ultimate Hitchiker's Guide, I read my first book on the subject (The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene) and, since I read the Guide, I was alredy used to the ideas of probability, other dimentions, etc. When I learned that probability actually played a role in the workings of the universe I nearly cried with joy.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  4
Total posts:  4
Initial post:  Jan 21, 2008
Latest post:  Jun 6, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (Paperback - April 30, 2002)
4.7 out of 5 stars (1,363)