How can a leather product be "eco-friendly?" This item: http://www.amazon.com/Marware-Eco-Vue-Kindle-Touch-Cover/dp/B005HSG446/ref=pd_sim_kinh18

Purports to be made of eco-friendly leather and mirco-suede. How can that be? ANY animal slaughter, especially for items such as this IS NOT eco-friendly. Between the landscapes required for sustaining such animals, to their captivity and slaughter, nothing about leather products or suede products is EVER eco-friendly.

PLEASE THINK ABOUT THE PRODUCT BEFORE YOU SUCCUMB TO THE MARKETING SUCCUBUS THAT IS THE TERM "ECO-FRIENDLY."
asked by CRiley on October 2, 2011
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 answers
A
votes
While you have every right to find animal slaughter to be a bad thing and I am sure many agree with that sentiment, your argument against this item not being eco-friendly is baseless because eco-friendly and slaughter don't even go together.

Look up eco-friendly.
Its about the environment. You know, conserving energy and water. Not polluting/using certain chemicals. Stuff like that.

In the case of this, I am sure they mean it to be eco-friendly in regards to their tanning processes not using chemicals that harm the environment and the items natural ability to break down over time and not be a burden in a landfill.
D. Everts answered on October 6, 2011

A
votes
Yesterday I ordered a "Leather Cover" for my new Kindle. This morning I received confirmation of my order from Amazon giving an approximate delivery date of a "Marware Eco-Vue Cover." I was immediately mystified and confused. Was I getting something other than I ordered? I went back to where I ordered and it still says "Leather Cover" but to the right of our discussion, it says, "This discussion is about Marware Eco-Vue...Cover."

What I think is that Amazon changed at some recent point from selling leather covers to selling imitation leather covers or that they were selling imitation leather covers all along and were illegally calling them leather. They need to immediately change the wording of "Leather Cover" where a customer orders their Kindle cover.
M. Schaefer answered on October 14, 2011

A
votes
Imitation leather (usually cardboard/paper/plastic) is cheaper than leather. If Amazon changed the product during the sale of it, they are getting more profit. They did not see fit to pass along part of their savings to their customer.

It is all right with me, though, that the product is not leather now because it is eco-friendly. I'm looking forward to getting my cover; it's on the way.

A
votes
Of course, thinking about eco-friendly, leather is biodegradable and plastic is not. It might behoove Amazon to come clear about what exactly "Marware Eco-Vue" is made of.

I'm still looking forward to getting my Kindle cover which is on the way.

A
votes
I just got my Marware Eco-Vue black cover in the mail. The mailing cover I took it out of informed me it is made completely of recycled paper with a soy-based ink (making it black). Of course, the elastic strip on it is not made of paper.

I think I will like it. My Kindle won't come until in the last few days of November.
M. Schaefer answered on October 18, 2011

A
vote
According to the product description on the item's page:
"Made of special, eco-friendly (RoHS Compliant) leather that minimizes toxic waste and runoff used in standard production processes"
lisareadinggirl answered on November 11, 2011

A
votes
"Paper" is what it says on the packaging it comes with. Not leather at all.
M. Schaefer answered on November 11, 2011

A
votes
Hi Folks. Please understand - the Kindle Cover is real leather. The term "eco-friendly" comes into play because it was not processed, or 'tanned,' in the traditional manner. Traditional leather tanning uses chemicals that are viewed as bad for the environment and causes allergic reactions in some humans.

The packaging for the Marware Eco-Vue cover is also made out of recycled materials, specifically recycled paper, and printed with soy-based ink. The *packaging* is recycled paper and soy ink. The *cover* is real leather.

Hope that helps. I will say however, after receiving my cover, that it is a little slicker in feel than traditional leather. I hope with time it will wear and eventually feel like traditional leather.
K. Jung answered on November 30, 2011
‹ Previous   1   Next ›