4.0 out of 5 stars Scripturally sound and eminently practical; very useful for small group discussions., April 15, 2004
This review is from: How Can I change? Victory in the struggle against sin (Paperback)
This volume is intended as a handbook to train Christians in the lost art of bibical sanctification. I say "lost art" and emphasize "biblical" sanctification, because there are alot of paltry substitutes being bandied about in America's churches nowadays that bear little if any resemblance to the scriptural model for how believers are to become molded over time into the image of Jesus Christ. Mahaney and Boisvert strike just the right scriptural balance between the passivity of the "let go and let God" mentality that characterizes some churches, and the legalistic approach so prevalent in certain others. The authors properly rebuke those who would adhere to either distortion of God's plan in this crucial matter, or worse, those who would deny the need for us to confront our own sinfulness in a meaningful way.

The authors alternate in writing the individual chapters, instead of simply meshing their thoughts. The result is a coherent presentation of biblical truth on this issue from two separate but entirely consistent perspectives. The first chapter defines sanctification according to the Bible and explains its critical importance in the life of every believer. The second chapter explains why regeneration, or the "new birth", must precede any effort at personal sanctification. From there the book moves on into a discussion of practical tools to bring to the battle. And I do mean "battle" -- to paraphrase one quote from chapter 4, the quest for personal holiness and discipleship is no less than a form of warfare.

This is not a gimmicky "quick fix" kind of book, though. It's replete with tough truths and thought provoking quotes that will challenge every honest and committed believer to re-evaluate their attitudes toward sin and the sanctification process. Definitely no "fluff" here! Throughout the book, the authors repeatedly emphasize that this is a cooperative process between God and man -- we provide the effort and obedience, and the Holy Spirit supplies the power to achieve meaningful results and genuine, lasting change. Both aspects are indispensible.

I got acquainted with this book in my weekly small group Bible study. Its seven chapters could, I suppose, be covered one per week, but I think you would be shortchanging yourself to move through this so quickly. We took two to three weeks per chapter, and enjoyed alot of vigorous, meaty dialogue that edified everyone in the group. I highly recommend that you give this a try, either for yourself or your small group. You won't come away unchanged.

4.0 out of 5 stars Helpful, May 31, 2006
Brian G Hedges (South Bend, Indiana) - See all my reviews
This is an excellent book from the Pursuit of Godliness series published by Sovereign Grace Ministries. It is a good, readable, and easy to digest study on the doctrine of sanctification, full of good quotations, bite-size theology, and some good application. Sometimes it was little "cheesy" in its attempt to be relevant and personal, but otherwise pretty good. The book serves as a good introduction to the Reformed doctrine of sanctification. It would be a great study for a Small Group or Sunday School Class.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid!, October 6, 2006
This book provides a solid look at the topic. It does a wonderful job of integrating scriptural knowledge about sanctification with practical suggestions and thoughts. And it contains a lot of good relevant quotes and study questions.

I think this would make a great group study book. I must commend the authors on making a short (around 100 pages) yet powerful book! I'm confident this resource will be useful to many Christians, as we all struggle daily to live up to our high calling.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!!, July 15, 1998
By A Customer
This work by the editors and writers is the result from lives commited to Jesus and rises out of their passion for the building of the local Church. Thoughts are expressed by using biblical principles. The authors and editors are people who lead by example and live by the principles they teach.

5.0 out of 5 stars short good read, March 15, 2013
This book is a good workbook to help anyone who is having issues with their life. it explains many things in plain easy to understand language and it is very biblical with supporting scripture.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a wonderful, simple book that clearly outlines the process of ..., November 12, 2014
This is a wonderful, simple book that clearly outlines the process of sanctification according to the Scriptures. There are no gimmicks and no tricks, just the truth of God's Word

How Can I change? Victory in the struggle against sin
How Can I change? Victory in the struggle against sin by Robin Boisvert (Paperback - 1993)
Used & New from: $0.01