How to connect video capture to xbox
asked by Pamela J Zirpoli on December 27, 2012
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 answers
A
Hi Pamela, It is unclear from your question if you have an Xbox or Xbox 360 or what. In any case I am not sure what the outputs are for you device (how you normally connect it to your TV). If your Xbox has RCA (the Red white and Yellow cables) then you are good to go. Just turn on your computer and run the software and turn on your device and it should capture fine. However, I suspect that you have HDMI (looks like a a larger USB cable plug) that comes out of your machine. If this is the case, you've got a bit of problem. The issue is this device converts analog to digital signals. So, your old VHS tapes or family videos will convert to an AVI file on your computer. However HDMI (on newer devices) are in fact digital signals to begin with. So, this mean that if you were to use the elgato you would be taking a digital signal, finding a way to convert it to analog and then converting it to digital again on your computer. This product was not designed for this use. I think you would be better of buying a plug that converts the HDMI cable to aport that fits your computer. From there you can just use a video capture program Like quicktime pro to capture the signal. If you still want to go through with this device, you are going to need to buy a converted that has HDMI in and analog out (RCA) or HDMi to Svideo (the other kind of cable the elgato takes in. You might have an output of RCA or SVideo on your TV or DVD player. IF so, plug your device into you TV as normal to play, then connect the Eglato cables to the output ports on your TV. GOOD LUCK, I suggest you drop by an electronics shop and bring in the device and tell them what you want to do if you are still confused. In general though, this device is not designed to convert HDMI to AVI files, and will need other parts to do this.
Miketheman answered on December 28, 2012
Comment | 3 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Connect the Elgato Video Audio Leads that are coming out of the plug that is connected to you XBox to the plkugs that are on the Elgato device.
anthony micallef answered on December 27, 2012
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
If Xbox has Yellow Red and White RCA connectors then use those. Won't be hi def but will be 16:9
Johnny V answered on December 27, 2012
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
If Xbox has Yellow Red and White RCA connectors then use those. Won't be hi def but will be 16:9
TGV_Utah answered on December 27, 2012
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
The software supplied was for computers - Mac or PC. So while you could connect the device via USB, I'm not sure it would do you much good.
Reg answered on December 27, 2012
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   Next ›

See all questions about this product