Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 8, 2008 8:39:56 AM PDT
E. Wilson says:
I own "Baking Illustrated" - a large baking cookbook from the Cook's Illustrated team. I love it, but as soon as I saw this one I wanted it too. However - how different are they? I feel like most of the recipes will already be in my copy of Baking Illustrated. I feel a little bummed, because I would have rather had this one - I like the format and it matches my America's Test Kitchen cookbook binder.

Can anyone who has used both cookbooks share some insight on the differences and similarities?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2008 12:41:43 AM PDT
Hmmmmm.... I don't have baking illustrated so I can't say -- but here's what you do: your local library SHOULD have this new one and you could takes a peek there.

That's what I do on some of these new books I'm unsure about.

pat

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2008 9:28:17 AM PST
RikkiMama says:
I checked out "Baking Illustrated" from my local library and was browsing through it when I found out about The Family Baking book.

Many of the recipes in Baking Illustrated (BI) are in the Family Baking book (FB), if not all of them. I haven't done a complete one-to-one check, but several that I wanted from BI were in FB, including the variations. Each recipe in BI is prefaced with the history behind the final recipe. In FB, you get the final recipe, no history, but you do get many of the tips that were a result of the trial and error process. Since you aren't getting the trial and error story for each recipe, you get a lot more recipes in FB. Plus, there are numerous COLOR photographs showing you the final product, tips, techniques, mistakes to avoid. And, the heavy duty binder is a major plus when you are using the cookbook...it lays nice and flat on the counter and the pages are heavy duty, too.

I'm glad that I had a chance to look at both books before settling on adding The Family Baking Book to my cookbook library. As much as I enjoy reading the trial and error stories in Baking Illustrated and learn a lot from the information in the stories, I'd rather have more recipes, the binder format, and color photographs. I definitely think that The Family Baking Book is the better value and highly recommend it. I think you'd be reaching for this book over Baking Illustrated. You can always donate your copy of BI to your local library. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2008 9:34:59 AM PST
E. Wilson says:
This is INCREDIBLY helpful...thank you! I think I will get The Family Baking book. I will most likely keep my copy of Baking Illustrated - I love to bake and do enjoy the background they give on why each recipe works. I will also enjoy the format, additional recipes, and color photographs of Family Baking Book. I also already have their Family Cookbook, so they will go well together.

Your info was very helpful - especially since my library is not likely to get Family Baking Book for me to review (because of the format) and all the bookstores I've gone to have it wrapped up in plastic. I'm most especially glad to hear that there are many additional recipes in FB.

Thanks again!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2008 8:53:00 AM PST
Kathy Grace says:
I addressed this in my review (http://www.amazon.com/review/R2ORMZB39TTNJ9/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm) ... short answer, there is much overlap but the new recipes are well worth having and the old ones are still best-of-class. I personally like the book format of BI better than the three-ring FBB, but that's just me :-)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  4
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  Oct 8, 2008
Latest post:  Dec 16, 2008

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The America's Test Kitchen Family Baking Book
The America's Test Kitchen Family Baking Book by America's Test Kitchen (Ring-bound - September 1, 2008)
4.9 out of 5 stars (163)