Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Melvins Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 42 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 11, 2012 10:35:03 AM PDT
Landry says:
I really like the Wii U and what it offers, but I was wondering if people think this will be a hot item? What I mean is will people buy them at say $300 and then they sale for $400 online when it's sold out?

I don't want to be ripped off 100$ so should I preorder the Wii U or stand in line for it?

Posted on Jun 11, 2012 12:49:46 PM PDT
In the past, when items like the Wii and the Wii Fit Plus came out. They sold quickly and a lot of 'sellers' listed them online for crazy high prices. I wouldn't expect the launch of the Wii U to be any different. If you want it ASAP, try your best to get a launch unit. If you can't, wait for the next shipment or buy it from the most reasonable seller you can find.

Posted on Jun 11, 2012 9:43:34 PM PDT
Xlea says:
Yea, I expect Wii U to be a very hot item this fall. So expect sellers to jack up the price a bit, especially if the Wii U's fairly hard to find. Pre-order for me!

Posted on Jun 11, 2012 9:52:54 PM PDT
Like hotcakes.

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 5:17:58 AM PDT
The predators will be snatching up units and trying to make a quick profit off of them unless Nintendo floods the market with Wii U's. I'm planning to get one on release day so I don't have to worry about it. If you wait then you may have a hard time getting one until after the holidays. The original Wii was a nightmare to get if you didn't get it early.

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 6:04:33 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 12, 2012 6:06:24 AM PDT
Majin says:
Well it is going to be out before Christmas so depending on Nintendo's ad campaign, they might see a lot of these fly off the shelves. E3 showed they can handle the stuff for older gamers but if they really want money, they need to make little kids go crazy so they beg their parents. I see moms in GameStop every year with a list of games going berserk because SHE HAS TO get them to make her kids happy. When Wii first came out, there were massive lines and stores were constantly sold out. People were reselling them online for even higher prices. Also you'll probably see radio stations and shows like Ellen giving them away daily or something for a few weeks.

Posted on Jun 13, 2012 5:00:57 PM PDT
Paper Tiger says:
I read an article that Nintendo typically makes about 5 million consoles on first run. So depending on when this comes out it could be sold out in no time. I'm sure there are at least 5 million people who want the Wii U (including myself!) There was a page up on Amazon UK that listed the Wii U being released in mid July for the equivalent of about $310 USD.

Posted on Jun 23, 2012 9:22:27 PM PDT
I buy systems for games not the name brand. PS for FF 7, PS2 for FF X, PS 3 For Metal Gear 4, I buy Nintendo Systems at Launch because I know Games I want WILL come, Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Star Fox, Fire Emblem, Nintendo has never been one to market because they have a lot to hide from their competition, (look at first ps controller no rumble and no dual analog) or the DS, w/touch screen (apple then sony coppied that) and motion controlls that were a fad (apple sony and microsoft). I sugest if you do not like the MINIMUM of 23 ANNOUNCED launch tites (Best and biggest lineup for any system hands down) You wait for games you fancy.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2012 10:07:26 PM PDT
Wii sold out FAST but that is because no one not even Nintendo expected it. And it had NOTHING to do with marketing I saw one terrible commercial for the Wii (I love the big N but for real you need to hire better maketers and better actors for your commercials, and more adds!!! ) the rest I looked up online yes there was E3 later on but the so called casuals who bought it did not go online or see e3 it was once in a life time. Nintendo has allready said they do not expect the wii u to go as fast. Fans (like Me) bought it and others followed LOZTP!! Wii sports was a bonus NO ONE would have paid for it seperatly. I think NSMB U should be packed in and Nintendo Land should be preinstalled on system that would make demand higher than suppy, there is you killler app, two games to play and not have to spend a dime extra. But that Would never happen. Oh I miss the days when you could buy a system and just play. N64 would have killed the competition if Mario was in the box but buy a system you cant play unless you pend $54 extra OUCH Oh off topic but does anyone remember Sonys big sell point was cheaper games cause Discs were cheaper? So why are they $60 Blu ray Maybe if the content filled the disc (not even Close BTW) but why are X box games priced the same as Sony's Blu Ray games... Just something to think about.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2012 5:47:40 AM PDT
July seems like a starnge month more games are going to be announced in the summer (EA) I am thinking November at some point before black Friday, no later. Sooner is welcome but if they want bigsales the first week right before Black friday is perfect. Oh if the release date id not on a Sunday its prob BS. Nintendo Always releases on Sundays

Posted on Jun 24, 2012 7:54:46 AM PDT
I have a strong suspicion that the Wii U will sell quickly. I'm just hoping that Nintendo is able to keep up with the demand. It was almost two years before Wii's were readily available at most retailers. Nintendo can't keep customers waiting this time around with Microsoft and Sony likely coming out with their new systems in the near future. Nintendo needs to be able to get a Wii-U into the hands of anyone and everyone who wants one as quickly as possible.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2012 1:49:55 PM PDT
Paper Tiger says:
I doubt it will be out in July because by the time the holidays roll around the hype will be wasted. I bet they announce the price earlier and it comes out in November like you said. Parents might just grab them as an impulse buy Christmas present.

Posted on Jun 26, 2012 2:12:46 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 26, 2012 2:18:55 PM PDT
Marko Prolo says:
I'm sure it will sell well. It can be Pre-ordered in Germany's Amazon allready (placeholder price 350€), it climbed up to No. 3 on the Bestsellers allready.
And for the Release dates, I'm sure they'll announce the Pricing and Tech details in September and Release the Console in December, that's how they did it with the wii.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 28, 2012 7:50:04 AM PDT
November Wii was released in Nov. like the PS3

Posted on Jun 28, 2012 6:39:43 PM PDT
Mister says:
Short answer....very VERY quickly.

Posted on Jun 29, 2012 5:20:35 AM PDT
Nintendo has sold something like 90+ million Wii's so if you figure just ten percent of the Wii buyers are looking to buy the new system this holiday season that would be sales of over 9 miillion units. I think that's probably a pretty reasonable guess as to what the market will be like. Sales of 9-10 million units or more should be doable if Nintendo can get that many units to market.

There were unconfirmed reports last year (2011) during E3 that Nintendo had already starting manufacturing hardware components of the system to meet the expected rush of sales. The reports at the time said that as soon as Nintendo had finalized the hardware they'd started production even though the software to run the system hadn't been finalized. I guess the plan was to flash the proper software in later, or leave it up to the consumer to update the system after the software design was finalized.

Posted on Jul 1, 2012 12:43:12 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 1, 2012 12:44:40 PM PDT
Majin says:
Never underestimate the power of Christmas and a new video game console.. although with the economy in the dumps still, we'll probably see insane bargains on the other systems. PS3 will be the cheapest its ever been.

Posted on Jul 1, 2012 8:34:19 PM PDT
i will warn you, where i'm from, it took years before you could walk into a store and see a wii to buy. people kept buying it as soon as it hit shelves. if you wait, it could take you 3 or more years to be able to buy a wii u. i waited for my wii 11 and a half hours outside best buy. (it was only a week after it came out. so, that's to be expected) so, i'm going to pre-order the wii u. i don't want to wait at all for it!

Posted on Jul 2, 2012 6:04:50 AM PDT
I'm hoping Nintendo learned from the mistake of the Wii and will have an adequate supply of the Wii U on hand at release and for the holiday season. The success of the Wii caught everyone by surprise, but there's no excuse for not being ready this time around. Nintendo needs to have Wii U units available for everyone who wants one this holiday season. That will make game developers happy and players happy. Game developers can't sell games if the consoles aren't available and Nintendo is really reaching out to game developers with the Wii U, so I'm cautiously optimistic that they'll be ready to flood the market with Wii U's. They really need ten to twenty million consoles ready to roll out for the holiday season or they could start losing that third party support. Nintendo reportedly lost over $600 million last year and my suspicion is that a lot of that loss came from buying components and stockpiling Wii U units for sale later this year. Building and warehousing stuff costs a lot of money, but you can make that money back when the units sell and I suspect Nintendo is planning to do just that.

Posted on Jul 2, 2012 10:28:03 AM PDT
how can they be ready? you can keep the supply high. but, you can never know how much it will sell. the wii had a lot year after year. but, people kept buying it. they had no idea that it would sell like that year after year. they can have more wii u in the stores, but, they can't know how many to have.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 3, 2012 8:38:46 PM PDT
Reggie already said that they won't have a shortage with the Wii U.

Posted on Jul 4, 2012 7:36:24 AM PDT
You can be ready for big sales numbers by pre-building a large quantity of units, which I suspect is behind Nintendo's big revenue loss last year. I'm guessing that they spent a lot of their revenue (reportedly down $600+ million) building Wii-U's and stockpiing them. There were rumors after the 2011 E3 that they'd already started manufacturing the hardware. They're clearly betting on the Wii U being a big seller. You noticed there weren't many (were there any?) Wii games mentioned at E3. All of the focus was on Wii U titles and 3 DS titles.

Reports I've seen indicate that companies like FoxxConn can churn out at least 800,000 tablets a month. If they can churn out 800,000 Wii U's a month and they've been doing it since June 2011 then there could be twelve to fourteen million Wii U's ready to roll at launch with another 800,000 coming each month afterwards. If you accept that ten percent of current Wii owners will be looking to upgrade this year then that should just about cover the demand.

Posted on Jul 4, 2012 4:36:52 PM PDT
Supa i'm reserving mines asafp(Available). It's goona be spit out like some god damn cold freezing stuff in ur mouth...lol...

Posted on Jul 7, 2012 12:34:10 PM PDT
Majin says:
Project P-100 definitely has me psyched. Hopefully that and all the other launch titles will all support the feature to transfer the game directly on the gamepad. I'm sure its going to fly off the shelves and be out of stock as the holidays approach so you could always buy one to support Nintendo then resell on eBay for big profit.

Posted on Jul 8, 2012 2:36:26 PM PDT
atburrow says:
I imagine they will go extremely fast. Wii (snicker) all know what happened with the Wii and Wii Fit in the past. They were extremely hard to get. The best chances to get them were to be one of the few to preorder, wait in a long line, buy them overpriced on auction sites, or use a tracker. I'd say the best bet would be to either wait in line or to use a tracker (something like WiiUTracker.com). Preordering seems like it might be impossible.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  19
Total posts:  42
Initial post:  Jun 11, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 6, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about