Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon Sixx AM Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Learn more
Customer Discussions > Valleys Of Neptune forum

How to get complete Hendrix recordings?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 11, 2010 2:54:34 PM PDT
FunnyGuyDC says:
So, i just purchased the five 1997 releases by the Experience Hendrix remasters, plus the new Valleys of Neptune...

Are You Experienced...
Axis: Bold As Love...
Electric Ladyland...
First Rays Of The New Rising Sun...
South Saturn Delta...
Valleys Of Neptune...

I want to have a more-or-less complete catalog of all his master recordings, with the 1997+ remastered sound. I'm not at all interested in demos, live tracks, half-finished songs, slightly-different alternate takes, etc. With these 6 CD's, do i essentially have everything i need to achieve my goal, or are there other CD's i would need to get (e.g., Martin Scorsese: Best/Blues)?

I appreciate any help.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2010 5:18:16 AM PDT
FunnyGuy, I am unsure of your intent. Hendrix was a brilliant player in the studio, but him live was another animal altogether. Live "Machine Gun" from Band of Gypsy's is a musical landmark, as is Woodstock's "Star Spangled Banner". Why do you want to ignore an entire body of his work? I'm fifty and grew up buying his music in used record stores. Cry of Love, Hendrix in the West....... Loose Ends and War Hero's in the import bins. Walter 5 and JimmyJames on the Hendrix forums know some good stuff. I understand you don't want every burp and fart by Jimi. but he is much larger than a handful of studio recordings. That's like going to a $100.00 dollar buffet and only getting a hotdog. Also, do you play guitar, or just listen to music? I ask that because a lot of serious Hendrix collectors, myself included, play guitar, so Hendrix is school for us. If you don't play, his technique and approach may not interest you so much. Where as I want to know what he plugged into, you just want to hear the music. Same with me and saxophone. I love John Coltrane, but I have no idea what kind of sax or reed he used. I'm just there for the music. Please comment back. What other music do you like?

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2010 12:23:42 PM PDT
MC says:
You have just about everything from the studio that fits your paramiters, but I would strongly encourage you to pick up Band of Gypsys, although it is live it is crucial to a complete hendrix library... Just for the redition of Machine Gun!!

Posted on May 28, 2010 5:32:13 PM PDT
Michael, I'm going to see your Band of Gypsys and raise you two. FunnyGuy, look into Band of Gypsys DVD and Woodstock DVD. Watching Hendrix play Machine Gun and Star Spangled Banner is worth it to me. See if you can find a CD copy of Rainbow Bridge. I have a bootleg version, so it's out there. "Hear my Train a Comming" from that album shows how Jimi was one of the Gods that took to the stage.

Posted on Sep 29, 2010 12:45:03 PM PDT
Walter Five says:
Duckworth and Micheal: Don't bother searching a bootleg: Every track that was on the "Rainbow Bridge" soundtrack LP is all out there on CD, scattered over "First Rays of the New Rising Sun, South Saturn Delta, Voodoo Child: The Jimi Hendrix Collection and The Jimi Hendrix Experience box set. "Rainbow Bridge" was one of my favorite Hendrix LPs, I only wish they'd included "Bolero", as it was on the film, but remains unreleased (at least until that new Box Set comes out next month).

Posted on Jun 10, 2011 11:36:22 PM PDT
Two that you're missing are Blues and The BBC Sessions. Another that few consider is Baggy's Rehearsal Sessions which are fairly high quality recordings of the rehearsals the Fillmore East concert that yielded the Band Of Gypsy's release.

Chris Elliott
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Valleys Of Neptune forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  May 11, 2010
Latest post:  Jun 10, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Valleys of Neptune
Valleys of Neptune by Jimi Hendrix (Audio CD - 2010)
4.0 out of 5 stars (222)