How to handle spoiled-brat Kindle owners

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 142 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 16, 2010 2:56:38 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 16, 2010 3:03:48 AM PDT
JP says:
I can't understand why Kindle owners are such spoiled brats that they give one-star ratings to books they haven't read, just because it's not available in their preferred format. I strongly prefer audiobooks, but I would never consider giving a low rating to a book just because it's not available in audio format. The behavior of these Kindle owners is just disgusting.

Anyway, in order to get rid of these Kindle-owner reviews, I strongly encourage everyone to click the "Report this" link for any review written by someone who hasn't read the book. Then, in the window that pops up, press the "Report as inappropriate" button. Do this for any review written by someone who hasn't read the book, that includes spoiled-brat Kindle owners and people who complain about the shipping.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2010 5:19:51 AM PDT
understand your point, but not totally sure I agree with it. while it could be wrong to give it a bad rating, it is also a quick way to tell the publisher you are upset with them. personnally, I don't think I would do it, but I understand both sides. As I said earlier, there are more than enough books to keep me busy for 100 years, so I will just read something else....

Posted on Mar 16, 2010 6:16:05 AM PDT
G. Elston says:
Or you could actually write to the publisher and complain directly instead of posting puerile rantings and one star rankings because its not in your preferred format. Personally hard covers are my favourite, but if I can only get the paperback does that diminish the value of the book's content? Some intellect and maturity would go a long way here.

Posted on Mar 16, 2010 6:24:18 AM PDT
Kindy Kat says:
JP, Please do not paint all Kindlers with the same brush. This 1 star campaign is sooo wrong, and not supported by most Kindleers. Feel free to report the bad postings, many Kindleers have been doing the same thing. Please check out this link to another discussion to see the reaction to this ridiculous campaign. http://www.amazon.com/tag/kindle/forum/ref=cm_cd_tpop_hdr?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&tagsDetail=tagsDetail&cdThread=Tx2BOZD93M5265A

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2010 6:27:53 AM PDT
There is already a "quick way to tell the publisher": a link on the product page RIGHT UNDER THE PICTURE OF THE BOOK that says "Tell the publisher you'd like to read this book on Kindle" or words to that effect. Using the review system to complain about the publisher's business model is completely inappropriate and unfair to the author.

Posted on Mar 16, 2010 7:05:02 AM PDT
P. Keith says:
Count me as a non-Kindle consumer who wanted to see legitimate star-rated reviews of a book that I was interested in, only to find a bunch of bogus 1-star ratings because the book wasn't in a particular format.

I guess I can see WHY they've rated it this way (to draw attention to their dissatisfaction). I just don't think it's all that useful to the broader customer. If any of you actually knew anything about customer relations, you'd know that a typed, mailed letter gets far more attention than petulant online antics. I'll bet even a direct email to Amazon or publisher would yield better results. Let's grow a brain, people.

Posted on Mar 16, 2010 7:08:43 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 16, 2010 7:10:57 AM PDT
Jeanne says:
Since Amazon probably likes the protest by Kindle users and wants more books available on Kindle--they probably could care less if we report non-read reviews. It's the author that suffers and the author will probably pressure the publisher to let the book go to Kindle.

In a crazy world in crazy times it just goes to show you that there are some spoiled selfish people out there.
Priorities, people! Get a life. Being jobless, homeless, hungry. Now there is something that's tough. Not getting a book on your kindle--not so much. Use the public library and donate the $9.99 to a shelter or food bank.

Posted on Mar 16, 2010 8:24:50 AM PDT
J. Mann says:
Being a Kindle owner, I wish this book was on Kindle. That being said, this really shows the fallacy of the star-rating system. If you want to know whether you'll enjoy it, you have to read the content of the reviews anyhow.

I don't really feel bad for the author though. I saw Michael Lewis on CNBC yesterday and he was asked why it wasn't on Kindle. He said "because the publisher doesn't want to get $8 for a book." So, in my case the publisher will get $0.

Posted on Mar 16, 2010 8:47:31 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 16, 2010 8:49:09 AM PDT
You are welcome to report us if you wish, but the 1 star ratings are no more *wrong* than the false 5 star ratings. Writing to the publishers results in canned email responses. Writing to the authors results in the *poor me, I have no control of the publisher* responses. Negative reviews with clear explanations put the issue in the limelight.

If you are so supporting of the publishers and their right to offer the model of their choosing, then why don't you buy TWO hardcovers to compensate for the non purchases that I will make in protest. That would show them!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2010 8:54:32 AM PDT
Following your logic, you should then buy TWO Kindle editions of some other book to show your support for those publishers.

Posted on Mar 16, 2010 9:00:17 AM PDT
Hahaha - I did. Dead Witch Walking (The Hollows, Book 1)

Posted on Mar 16, 2010 9:06:07 AM PDT
rjones2818 says:
The humor of the Kindle users b'tching about not getting a Kindle edition, particularly in a book blasting the 'I deserve whatever I want whether I can afford it or not' society we're living in is amazing. Perhaps the publisher does e-books in a format Kindle doesn't support (and, if this is the case, will they protest against Amazon)? Perhaps they're planning to release e-books for a soon-to-be released reader?

It's funny, in a sad sort of way.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2010 9:18:42 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Mar 16, 2010 9:55:08 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2010 1:26:46 PM PDT
Kyle says:
wait, so you're saying 2 wrongs make a right?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2010 1:44:45 PM PDT
Duns Scotus says:
Dear Kindle owners- nobody care about you and the dreadful pains Amazon inflicted on you . I was sympathetic ages ago but after you idiots continue to clog up the book reviews when your stupid one star reviews I now wish you much more suffering.

Posted on Mar 16, 2010 2:35:24 PM PDT
I have a Kindle, and I have never rated one star that way. Click the "put this book on Kindle" button instead.

Posted on Mar 16, 2010 4:30:40 PM PDT
C. Parisi says:
Point blank there is absolutely reason why a book shouldn't be on kindle immediately upon release, if not sooner. Its converting plain text into a format (which Amazon automatically does). Personally I hope there are people that don't buy the book because of the one star reviews that the Kindle owners leave. Additionally, I look forward to the day when publishers get screwed just like the music industry on account of people stealing their books. No matter what any of you book readers do, fact of the matter is that everyone will have e-readers one day. Amazon has been nice enough to offer a venue that allows for publishers to conveniently capture some sort of revenue from publishing a book to an e-reader right now. As the number of ereaders grows they will lose control over this and find themselves ripped off and cut out completely. The recording industry had more controls as they have a studio etc to offer and artist, there is no such constraint with a book. you write it and you find someone to edit it. Any other function for an ereader can be handled for free without all of the overhead the publishers locked themselves into. Frankly any of the big authors that Kindle users are clamoring for could and should be going straight to Amazon to publish and then sell the rights to their regular book to the bonehead publishers. Once everyone has ereaders this sort of patronizing won't even be necessary.

Also, book readers, stop cutting down my trees. Its ignorant.

Posted on Mar 16, 2010 5:46:34 PM PDT
mgrierson says:
I agree with C. Parisi. Kindle books should be made available a day or two earlier; even at $1 or a nominal amount "Early Access" fee. I have too may books, but since getting my Kindle I have saved tress, money and precious SPACE. Obviously, there is a demand for a book when Kindle users feel compelled to object by giving the book a bad review. I have not done this, because I am not sure that I agree with the practice, however; Amazon should take this into consideration by perhaps instating a checkbox to go along with the rating that can show the disapproval of Kindle users that there is not an e-book version. With the popularity of the Nook rising I am sure that there will only be more people who are perplexed by all the new missing e-books.

Posted on Mar 16, 2010 5:57:37 PM PDT
WAMophile says:
People having angry fits about the 1 star ratings just need to chill. People clicking on this book are generally going to be curious people entirely capable of going beyond just the low avg star rating. They will see the review headings and see the skewed 5 star and 1 star ratings and quickly see the reason why. If they are interested in the content of the book, which I am, and which I would presume anyone clicking on the book would be, then they should have enough intelligence to select the most helpful ratings to find those reviews that help them decide whether to purchase this book or not. And reporting legitimate and bookloving customers of Amazon is just plain ridiculous. They're not attacking you, they are simply voicing their consumer desire to be able to read a book via a device.

And by the way, have you thought that one of the great advantages of kindle is that it gives you the ability to sample the first chapter of every kindle book on the kindle for free and at one's convenience? It is an amazing feature of Kindle for which I think Amazon should be given the Pulitzer prize or some other consumer service award.

Are there other areas to voice this desire for kindles, yes, but I think kindle users want the message to get out there in every way imaginable. I'm sure they've already written the letters and sent the emails and posted their views on the discussion boards too.

If anything it's the angry name callers who really should be reported.

Posted on Mar 16, 2010 7:38:43 PM PDT
Katyroadpink says:
Kindle Owners: There are lots of reasons a publisher should not put a book on Kindle. One big reason is that kindle is only available from Amazon. No possibility I could go to my local independent bookseller and buy a Kindle version. And since Amazon has not had any competition for Kindle editions, they get to set the price, even though Amazon has put none of the effort or investment into making the product. If you want to buy under these conditions, be my guest, but you're not correct in thinking there's no reason a publisher wouldn't want to play by these rules.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2010 7:44:56 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 16, 2010 7:52:18 PM PDT
Tee Hee...I find this post subject amusing. We Americans, (of which I believe most of these are from) are taught to leverage any method available, short of violence, to protest what we see as unequal treatment, unfairness, or simply do not like. Fortunately, or unfortunately, Amazon has provided a venue for this to happen, and like it or not, it is now an instrument for protest against the bad, bad publisher and greedy authors, and this guy fits the billet. So to JP and all his followers, get over it, this is America and in America, thou doth protest.........

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2010 8:50:22 PM PDT
C. Parisi says:
An audiobook takes a fair amount of time to create. A kindle edition (or any eformat worth its salt) should be a simple 2 second conversion. There is no need to locate a reader-outlouder (yeah i know thats the not the word). Its simply taking a common file type and saving it as something else. The same common file type is likely whats used to publish the book. By that token there is absolutely no reason why a Kindle edition of a book shouldn't be available as soon as the book is ready to hit the press. People willing to spend a few hundred bucks on a reader will likely be the 80 of the 80-20 portion of the bookselling revenues within a couple of years. They should be treated with priority. That's the way an intelligent business works.

Personally I hope every single one of you owns some type of e-reader in the very near future. You obviously like to read if you are spending the time to post on any book forum and an ereader is the Lamborghini to a regular books dodge neon (can the nostalgia stuff, books were a good means of transmitting information 600 years ago).

Posted on Mar 16, 2010 9:05:17 PM PDT
JM says:
I've come to this conclusion. The average Kindle "protester" (I want it now!!! I won't pay more than $9.99!!! Wah Wah Wah!!!) doesn't have a clue about the economics of book publishing, book retailing, or anything else. Their argument is the same as someone who complains that Avatar isn't available now for $1.00 rental through RedBox. W.W. Norton is a business..I repeat, a business. It is not a charity or a non-profit organization. If it could sell The Big Short for 50 cents and make the most money, it would be selling it for 50 cents. These protests are ridiculous.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2010 10:12:07 PM PDT
Kara Stone says:
I just finished doing that! It was so satisfying.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  57
Total posts:  142
Initial post:  Mar 16, 2010
Latest post:  Jun 12, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 12 customers

Search Customer Discussions