Customer Discussions > Diablo III - PC/Mac forum

How much do you want to bet....

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-74 of 74 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2012 2:02:18 PM PDT
Sudeley says:
I don't think that is true, it takes more to run mmo's for sure.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2012 2:14:35 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 24, 2012 2:25:10 PM PDT
Jason Koenig says:
Who's your wireless carrier? Not all 3g networks are created equally.

From Blizzard:
"Bandwidth usage varies significantly in World of Warcraft depending on what your character is currently doing in game.

While Idle, the game will typically use between 1 and 7 KB/sec Downstream (depending on how busy the area is) and less than 1 KB/sec Upstream.

While being more active, bandwidth usage is typically between 10 and 20 KB/sec Downstream and 1 or 2 KB/sec Upstream.

As a rough guide, an hour of typical play will result in around 40MB of data being Downloaded, and 4MB being Uploaded. These numbers will be higher if the hour was spent in busier group activities such as Battlegrounds or Raids.

Additionally, if your game client is currently streaming additional game data (as indicated by the streaming icon in the top centre of the screen) your Downstream bandwidth will be dramatically larger. This increase in usage is due to the game downloading missing game data and is only temporary; when the game client is fully up to date and all required data has been downloaded, the streaming will stop and bandwidth usage will return to normal.

It should also be noted that the use of UI Modifications or Addons will increase the game's bandwidth usage significantly."

A 3g connection should easily be able to handle that kind of bandwidth. Average 3g speed is what, 1MB/s?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2012 2:33:28 PM PDT
Sudeley says:
Who's your wireless carrier? Not all 3g networks are created equally.

Verison wireless

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2012 2:50:02 PM PDT
Jason Koenig says:
I would call Verizon and complain. I never had an issue with them but it sounds like your connection is messed up for some reason.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2012 2:55:23 PM PDT
Sudeley says:
I can download at 1.5-2mb/s just fine. And the ping is not too bad. Going to do more research soon about my 3g. Testing the speed requirement on Fiesta mmorpg it was using upto 5x dial up doing minimal things lime fighting 1 creature. Need to text during a higher end event like kingdom quests to see how it spikes.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2012 2:56:34 PM PDT
Shanghaied says:
How do I know?

Google.

http://www.reddit.com/comments/rhdnn/bandwidth_usage/?sort=new

Several people who monitored their bandwidth usage while playing D3 noted that the game averages around 4.2kbs (about 15mb/hr) while online. Some have reported more or less depending on the type of game.

Then you have people posting information like this:

http://i.imgur.com/6CZt0.png

According to the data he collected, he spent 13 minutes and 48 seconds online and used 4.57 mb of data for the duration. That averages out to 4679.68kb of data over 828 seconds, or 5.65178kbs. That's a similar finding to what was in the reddit post. This was during a full 4 person party.

Wow's usage fluctuates, but if you like PvPing or raiding you can consume as much as 30kbs. Only in areas where literally no one is around you will you get something that approaches the 5kbs or less that people are seeing in D3.

Source: http://entertainmentguide.local.com/world-warcraft-bandwidth-usage-3499.html

An FPS game with lots going on usually averages about 20kbs, but varies depending on the game.

So yes, Diablo 3 bandwidth requirements seem pretty minimal compared with other games. VERY minimal.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2012 2:59:32 PM PDT
Shanghaied says:
I've seen that also, and that seems plausible in a single player game for D3.

During SP, people are reporting that the gamestate "updates" the server at intervals to reduce real-time lag. This reduces the average even further.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2012 3:13:37 PM PDT
Sudeley says:
In a larger town its not bad, i got some lag in fiesta but not much. But where I go the service is not as good since it is a town of 600 people. So they do not have the cell towers such a priority there.

Posted on Apr 24, 2012 4:23:53 PM PDT
T. Osada says:
If you're complaining about not being able to play a game everywhere, you seriously need to rethink your priorities.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2012 4:36:03 PM PDT
Sudeley says:
So your on a trip visiting family and you have down time at night while you wind-down, so you want to play diablo 3, oooops they forgot to put in a offline mode so i cannot play it single player. No priorities required.

Posted on Apr 24, 2012 5:45:50 PM PDT
Duster says:
Man you must have a boring family. My family tends to spend time together when I get home...

If I'm playing games with my family it's usually outdoors or board/card games. I've never gone to my families place and then wanted to immediately go do something not involving my family.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2012 5:54:15 PM PDT
Sudeley says:
did you not read the part about at night to wind down. I am sorry but older family members do not stay up as late as I do.

Posted on Apr 25, 2012 4:18:34 AM PDT
I don't visit my family very often at all. And I think I can survive a night without Diablo 3, I would bring my PSV with me to relax before going to bed.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 6:18:55 AM PDT
Sudeley says:
So you do the same thing. But what's the difference with a laptop using 3g to play a game. Or better yet a game that should have a offline mode.

Posted on Apr 25, 2012 6:22:11 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 25, 2012 6:22:45 AM PDT
I'm only saying I use my PSV because I think i can survive a single night without Diablo III. besides I only visit my family once a year or so anyway. and it's often only for dinner then I go home.

However if i DID have a laptop with Diablo III on it, i could play it there anyway as my family all have high Speed internet... so no big deal there!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 6:30:57 AM PDT
Sudeley says:
So your the type that would travel say 600 miles to see relatives for one day? I usually stay 2 weeks in the area maybe even goto the family reunion if it hits at that time also.

Posted on Apr 25, 2012 7:25:54 AM PDT
No, my family lives 40 miles from me. We don't have reunions, and if I did I wouldn't bring my games with me, accept maybe my PSV if I'm taking a plane so I have something to do.

Last Family Reunion I had was in 19... something for my Grandparents 60th Anniversary and I hated every second of it. We all kinda did so we decided not to really do that again.

Posted on Apr 25, 2012 8:58:28 AM PDT
Jason Koenig says:
I'd say this thread has officially gone off the rails and over the cliff.

Posted on Apr 25, 2012 10:35:14 AM PDT
Not completely. We are just showing that Despite everything he's still getting the game. despite his constant complaining about the Online all the time thing. So.... yeah.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 10:40:57 AM PDT
Kruger says:
"Why would you play Diablo 3 in the woods?"

I don't have an internet connection. Not even while I am typing this.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 10:44:07 AM PDT
Kruger says:
"If you're complaining about not being able to play a game everywhere, you seriously need to rethink your priorities."

What else is human trash suppose to do while hanging out in the parking lot of a Subway/KFC/Pizza Hut on a Friday night?

Posted on Apr 25, 2012 12:37:43 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 25, 2012 12:39:26 PM PDT
Steven says:
As much as I agree that this argument needs to end... I must point out, to those saying there is reliable internet all over (except for the woods)... I have found too many places in my travels where there is no internet or very slow internet at best. These are places where you would expect there to be good internet just based on the area. One example is, the places I found in the business district of Rome had extremely slow internet, keep in mind this is the district (in Rome of all places) that most of the hotels are in, where majority of traveling business people would be trying to use the internet for work related tasks and find themselves unable to do so. Imagine trying to play an online game in that situation. Obviously the better option would be to hang out in the historic area all night, but in the Navy, we unfortunately have to be in our hotels by a certain time (generally midnight) and you will want something else to do once you are in the hotel. As K. Griffing said, this would be a great time to play your PSV, but most of us are burnt out on portable systems by that time as those are what we play when we are underway and we just want to hang out and relax and use some quality internet. That is Rome, a large, highly developed city, I have been to many cities that are less developed and the internet availability reflects it perfectly. I realize this is mostly specific to the military, but the slow/no internet fact still remains. I am really over arguing the offline/ online mode (and I think Sudeley has made his reasoning quite clear and is now going to be argued with on the principle that he is still going at it), I just think people should educate themselves on what the worldwide internet availability actually is if they are going to try and use it in their arguments. Just because you haven't been without internet for the last 10 years, doesn't mean that everyone has high speed internet or any internet for that matter.

Posted on Apr 25, 2012 1:26:02 PM PDT
B. Ross says:
I had no issues at all during the open beta stress test weekend. Then again, I have a decent internet connection and a decent computer. I had no lag etc.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 1:32:55 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 25, 2012 1:34:01 PM PDT
Sudeley says:
That is good, but lag does not hit everyone often. I have a above decent internet connection and I still got lag from their system.. Nothing too big to do a lag kill on me but still was there.

I cannot wait for the Guild Wars 2 beta, I will be looking to see about lag there also, guaranteed there will be, all servers have the ability for lag.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Diablo III - PC/Mac forum
Participants:  17
Total posts:  74
Initial post:  Apr 20, 2012
Latest post:  Apr 25, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Diablo III - PC/Mac
Diablo III - PC/Mac by Blizzard Entertainment (Mac OS X Intel, Windows 7 / Vista / XP)
2.4 out of 5 stars   (3,703)