Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5S 9MP Digital Camera with 10x Wide Angle MEGA Optical Image Stabilized Zoom (Silver)
Used & New from: $99.00
How sturdy is the DMC-TZ5? I'm thinking about buying this camera, but I'm somewhat of a "camera killer". I'm not negligent, stuff just happens.

If you own this camera, have you found it to be sturdy?
asked by Bri-Dancer on March 3, 2009
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 answers
A
I just dropped mine lens first on a concrete floor :-( The lens housing (do you call it that?) got dented in the process, and the lens subsequently could not retract anymore but seemed undamaged otherwise. I contacted the Panasonic Repair department via their official website - twice! - and finally, after almost a week, got a response saying I should "maybe" send it in to see if the camera could be repaired. I sent it in to the Panasonic Repair Center more than a week ago, and that was the last I have heard... The delay in their somewhat unprofessional response is unnerving, so if you are a "camera killer" like me and actually have to have this camera fixed one day, be prepared for a slow and not very reassuring Panasonic Repair and Customer Service Department and no way to talk to a real person on the phone.
W. Langhorst answered on March 19, 2009
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
My TZ5 fell out of my coat pocket when I stooped to pick something up. It fell maybe 18 inches onto the floor, and the display broke. IMO the housing isn't strong enough to protect the display. I bought a new display on eBay and installed it myself because the repair place charges $$ and sends you someone elses refurbished camera anyway. I'm sticking with Canon cameras in the future. My A10 and S50 are still going strong after a lot of hard use.
B. Schuchardt answered on September 24, 2009

A
How do you purchase a new display? The same thing happened to me. This camera is not sturdy at all.
J. Hughes answered on April 19, 2010

A
Not at all sturdy. Mine fell only a foot or so and the display broke. Such a waste. I have had many other cameras that have taken much worse abuse and survived. I will never buy Lumix again, because without the LCD display there is no other viewfinder, so you are screwed!
J. Hughes answered on April 19, 2010
‹ Previous   1   Next ›

See all questions about this product