Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 27, 2006 4:57:01 PM PST
IRJ says:
It's funny: when it comes to Kiyosaki (and Rich Dad Poor Dad), people tend to either worship him or say he's all hot air!

I certainly don't worship him ... but I wouldn't say it's hot air either.

Bottom line for me is I think this book (and some others in the series) are valuable for getting on the path to financial independence. Just don't take everything he says as being gospel. Use his books to get you on the path and in the mindset, but then go on and find your own particular way. He doesn't go into enough detail for you to know how to specifically start a business or do real estate investing. But he gives you some useful tools and guidance, before doing such things.

In my case, the books helped me be successful in my online business and inpired me to do a little real estate investing (luckily I invested in a couple houses before the Phoenix real estate market got really crazy). I have to say this book was a good kick in the pants, and motivation, when I needed it.
Yes he does repeat himself, and he does oversimplify things a bit. But the important thing is to take the general ideas.

Such as:
Getting out of "the rat race"
Investing in assets, and getting passive income
Using a corporation (or LLC) for your business to reduce taxes and to protect yourself
Recognizing what are assets and what are liabilities

Not that he invented these ideas - it's just that he serves it up in a good way ... to teach you to have financial leverage in life, rather than being chained to a paycheck (i.e. in the rat race)

As for the "Rich Dad" himself, I'd say he's part fiction and part amalgamation of people that Kiyosaki knew and knew of. But that's alright. It serves as a good framing device to convey the concepts. In these books we're in Kiyosaki's shoes learning from the Rich Dad.

P.S. If you'd like to learn to create some good cashflow online, getting $500 commissions, check out www.easyfunmoney.com

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 19, 2007 2:24:20 PM PST
Totally agree, I read the book in spanish and I live in Mexico so all the things and laws about real state are different and I just browse them but the point I think he makes is "you should take care of your money", so read the law, search for deal, educate yourself on the way your are going to make your money, real state or the market or your own business. even if your are still employedd by somebody else there are ways to make extra money just by changing your mindset.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 29, 2007 1:43:14 PM PDT
M. Quadagno says:
This is exactly what I tell people when they ask me if it's worth it to read Kiyosaki's books. Just get the general idea, filter out the repetition, and find your own path after you feel motivated.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  3
Total posts:  3
Initial post:  Mar 27, 2006
Latest post:  Mar 29, 2007

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Rich Dad, Poor Dad
Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert T. Kiyosaki (Paperback - October 19, 2000)
4.0 out of 5 stars   (3,688)