Customer Discussions > Oprah: A Biography forum

How do you think the book will be?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-24 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 7, 2010 12:17:58 PM PST
rmcrae says:
It won't be full of shock and scandal, I know that much. Oprah's been open from the beginning about traumatic things in her life like her son that died, her short time drug use, promiscuity as a teen, etc. I'll still read it though.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 15, 2010 11:04:31 PM PDT
JGC says:
Look at who's writing it. The book will be a character assassination if ever there was one.

Posted on Apr 4, 2010 4:46:38 PM PDT
Since I could not read K.k's book on The Bush Family for the fact that I LOATH that entire smirking clan (I can't be the only one) I'm looking forward to this (I like Oprah) because k.k's writing style flows for me and have read her books on Frank Sinatra and The Royals twice and her Nancy Reagan four times and still give it out for gift giving occasions which is always a hit. WELCOME BACK KITTY KELLEY!

Posted on Apr 9, 2010 12:29:29 PM PDT
Vol Fan says:
Actually, it must be pretty juicy. Barbara Walters, Letterman, Larry King and Charlie Rose are boycotting Kelley and won't let her promote her book. Pretty stupid actually, since that will automatically guarantee it will be a best-seller. LOL

http://www.wowowow.com/pov/margo-howard-will-anyone-publicize-kitty-kelley-oprah-biography-463688

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 9, 2010 6:06:42 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 23, 2010 1:09:57 PM PDT]

Posted on Apr 12, 2010 12:31:21 PM PDT
pretty one says:
I think this book will be crap...and full of lies.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2010 7:07:59 PM PDT
J. Hall says:
Wonder where k.k. got her info from?

Posted on Apr 13, 2010 1:21:45 AM PDT
Kort Decor says:
Can't wait to curl up with this book!!!! Kelley says she knows who Oprah's real father is (and Oprah doesn't even know!) Juicy! It's gonna sell millions for sure.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 13, 2010 2:33:39 PM PDT
I agree. Generally, I try to avoid overly hyped books, but seeing that tv is refusing to OVERHYPE this book I guess I need to read it. The fortunate thing is that, if you buy it and read it quickly, you can resell it on Amazon.com before it becomes old news.

Posted on Apr 14, 2010 7:25:17 AM PDT
I wonder what Oprah herself will say about it, if anything.

Posted on Apr 15, 2010 3:52:49 PM PDT
It is truly entertaining to see one Queen of Exploitation go after another Queen of Exploitation.

Posted on Apr 17, 2010 1:44:50 PM PDT
Oprah is a "peice of work". She has MONEY... lots and lots of MONEY .... and she buys and sells "people". That is what she does as her business. - She doesn't love them, she does not respect them, she doesn't even like them.............. she expolits people generally, and uses EFT and other brainwashing techniques to control the minds of the television addicted masses who watch her "show". She "shows" them... it is a "show", not a reality.

The fawning, groveling, adoring, mind-less, brainwashed U.S. citizens, who watch, believe, and who are addicted to this "daytime drivel" are responsible for where our status and self respect as a nation stands around the rest of the world. The largest percentage of the rest of the cilivlized world are howling with disgusted laughter at the "Stupid, ignorant Americans".

"Oprah" is only a sigil/symbol for the demise of intelligence and ethics of what was once a forward moving honest, sincere nation and of the subsidence into hoards of unthinking, greed motivated zombies.

I think one of the "test questions" I may incorporate into the screening of potential friends may be; "Do you watch Oprah"?

Posted on Apr 19, 2010 6:23:31 AM PDT
JER0610 says:
I just left my review and I question what controversial means these days. The true controversial books don't get the media hype this kind of book gets just because the title is the revered word "Oprah" -- Puh-lease. You want a true controversial book, one that hasn't left my head since reading months ago when it was released? Read Marti Rulli's "Goodbye Natalie Goodbye Splendour" -- you will then comprehend the word controversial while reading a subject researched and BEYOND!

Posted on Apr 29, 2010 5:03:19 AM PDT
Gail Schorr says:
who cares?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2010 5:44:19 AM PDT
Kort Decor says:
I just finished the book and have really changed the way I feel about her. The fact that she was a prostitute when she was young (at her own admission) says a lot about her. She may be the richest black woman in the world and maybe the most powerful but she is one big fat mess inside. I think she's a total lie. Her whole life has been spent lying and fooling those around her. She's is still the same but now does it to the entire world. This book was a real eye opener.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2010 11:18:55 AM PDT
Bless your heart~! Somebody who isn't "just the computer, but instead is the "operator"...

Thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2010 2:00:00 PM PDT
J. Oberoi says:
I don't think the book made a convincing case that she lied about anything other than the pregnancy she tried to hide as a teenager. The fact that she may have been a prostitute at such a young age only suggests that she was a victim of sexual abuse.

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2010 11:29:25 AM PDT
it is a best seller!!! May 11th 2010

Posted on May 20, 2010 5:15:26 PM PDT
The book just shows how Oprah can be so cut throat and controlling. And I have noticed that when the show breaks for commercial Oprah seems to stare off. She doesn't seem to interested in her guest unless it's someone she's totally interested in like Tom Cruise, Maya Angelou, or Gail. But I still love the show.

Posted on May 25, 2010 11:11:39 AM PDT
Kelly researched and was fair in the Bio of Oprah. The sad thing about the facts and the truth on Oprah she's a billionaire with no soul. She gives alot of money and gifts away but trust me the camera's running the whole time and she's making money as it does. She's used people and her audience to dance to her song. I once admired Oprah now I just feel sorry for her. I have cancelled her from my life.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2010 6:41:11 PM PDT
J. Oberoi says:
Verna A. Klil, I don't understand your argument. How does having a camera running during some of Oprah's charity work imply she has no soul? On the contrary, filming her charity is an excellent way to inspire millions of others to give and do twice as much good for the cause. Actually Oprah managed to become a multi-billionaire without selling her soul. She proved it when she risked her career to campaign for Obama to be president.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2010 6:42:57 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Dec 31, 2010 12:05:08 PM PST
J. Oberoi says:
How does the book show her to be cut throat? The meanest thing she ever does is stop buying people gifts and refuse to take their calls.

Posted on Aug 10, 2010 11:16:27 AM PDT
Ted Cascio says:
Psychology Today analyzes Oprah in this article. What do you think?

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/hollywood-phd/201008/oprah-psychology

Posted on May 29, 2011 8:28:30 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 29, 2011 8:36:48 PM PDT
I read the vitriolic "biography" on Jackie O by Kitty Kelly when it came out and swore I would never again buy a book by that woman. I believe her to be a jealous, vicious and insecure woman who must tear others down in order to feel good about herself. I raised 4 children by myself when Oprah got started and have only recently had the time to watch any of her shows, however, what I can see (try and watch some of the "Behind the Scenes" programs on OWN)... I don't believe a word Kitty Kelly would ever put into print and don't understand how anyone, after reading just one of her books, would ever want to subject themselves to that kind of unsubstantiated trash again. I'm a white 70 year old grandmother of 6 and think of myself as fairly open-minded on the subject of race and have friends of varying races. As far as Oprah's weight, what in the name of all that's decent, has this to do with the kind of person she is? I will continue to read and watch with an open mind, but as far as I'm concerned, no one is perfect. We all make mistakes. Oprah has, to my knowlegde, never lied about anything, but has chosen, until recently not to tell everthing in detail about what has happened in her life. I know there are things we all wish we could redo. I salute her in her philosophy of putting the past behind you and trying to make the best of the day you are in. Too bad Ms Kelly doesn't do the same thing. She's worse than the tabloids who are being sued all of the time in that she tricks old relatives into saying things they may not remember correctly (can you remember a conversation from 50 years ago?), or helps twist the truth a bit. I learned that from the Jackie O book and will NEVER read anything by this woman again.

If you want to read a real biography and not a tabloid, try the one by Donald Spoto... Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Oprah: A Biography forum
Participants:  20
Total posts:  24
Initial post:  Feb 7, 2010
Latest post:  May 29, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Oprah: A Biography
Oprah: A Biography by Kitty Kelley (Hardcover - April 13, 2010)
3.3 out of 5 stars (343)