Published on January 30, 2011 by DizoAZ

1.0 out of 5 stars Weak
These look very nice but there is a fatal flaw - the springs are too weak for the ball to really engage the door latch. One puffy down coat inside is enough to push the door open. I ordered a different set which worked much better - B001PD2IA6
Published 6 months ago by ExMoto

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent replacement for doors that have this type of configuration!, January 30, 2011
DizoAZ (Gilbert, AZ) - See all my reviews
I went to Lowes to pickup a replacement ball catch. My existing ball catch, kept launching the ball into the ceiling. I definitely needed a replacement. I could not find this ball catch at Lowes, maybe I didn't look hard enough. The only type I could find, was one that required you to screw a plate on the top of the door and the ball catch would screw down into it. Unfortunately that wasn't how my door was designed. My door required this one, where you pry the old one out and then hammer this one down in the empty hole. I was skeptical about the size, if it would fit into the hole and be too loose or too tight. It was a perfect fit. I'd suggest it if you know the measurements of your existing hardware. Look at the product description for the measurements of this product.

1.0 out of 5 stars Weak, January 11, 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect replacement that can't be found in stores, June 5, 2013
I searched everywhere for these ball catches to replace one that popped out on my interior french doors. I could not for the life of me find one in big box stores (Home Depot, Lowes). I bought several, and none worked.

I finally found these here, and it worked perfectly! It's a perfect replacement for most that come pre-installed. You just remove the old ball cylinder, place the new one in, and you're good to go. I didn't replace the part that the ball hits (on the door frame), but it comes with that part if you need it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect replacement., August 4, 2012
This review is from: Closet Door Ball Catch
This Ball Catch was a perfect replacement for the old worn out catch in the top the door. I had two problems installing this part though. It's not the parts fault as much as how the old Ball Catch was installed in the top door frame.

1st: This Ball Catch has a Strike Plate with a beveled lip on the front side and my old strike plate was completely flat (no beveled edge on any side). This means I had to cut some material in the upper door frame to compensate for the beveled edges depth. No biggie...

2nd: The Strike Plate needed to be moved ever so slightly forward (towards the open door) and adjusted higher (with a paperboard shim) so the Strike Plate ended up being closer to the door when in the closed position. If the Strike plate is not installed in the perfect distance from the door stop trim piece then the ball will not sit correctly in the Strike Plates divot area, which means the ball isn't seated tight and the door will pop open on its own. The Strike Plate height needs to be as close as possible to the door so the ball presses firmly to the divot area. If this is not a tight fit the door will not stay in the closed when touched by a cat/dog or when an exterior door is opened and the air pressure difference can open the door on its own.
The key here is making sure that when the door is closed the Strike Plate keeps the door closed tightly up against the door frame and the door doesn't easily pop open on its own. The door frame Strike Plate needs to fit pretty snug against the ball for the Ball Catch to do its job right. Adjusting the Strike plate for level and fore and aft relative to the door frame is the key to getting the door closed correctly.

There are no instructions with this product so one thing I can warn you on is make sure the spring metal band on the outside of the Ball Catch has its two raised areas towards the top (lip of Ball Catch Housing) before you slide it in the door hole. It's not a biggie if you forget this but it'll be a tighter fit if you put the raised areas up. It'll help since this keeps the metal band's pressure tightest at where all the stress is at and where all the action is.

Hope this helps those having any problems getting the door to stay tight. Remember to adjust the Strike plate if the door isn't closing right. It took me 30 minutes until I got it just right.

5.0 out of 5 stars Competent replacement with all necessary parts, February 14, 2014
N. Wallach (Pittsburgh, PA USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
It's been eight years since our house was built and one of our pantry doors started ejecting its ball upwards whenever we opened it. Several time, the spring loaded ball went straight up and came down right on the head of the person opening the pantry! Obviously this is something that needed to be fixed.

I took the offending part to our local hardware stores and was told that it was called a "ball catch" and shown all the various dimensions that we need to be aware of. Our local stores did not carry the right replacements so I ended up looking for it online and finding this product here. I was a bit concerned about the dark sleeve with the little bumps shown in the images as the one I was holding at the time did not have these, but decided that I could deal with it if necessary and went ahead and ordered these parts.

Delivery was quick. I think it took less than a week from order to having them in hand. Since I bundled several items to reduce shipping costs, I was pleasantly surprised by the swiftness of the deliveries.

When I opened the package, I noticed that the dark casing was actually a sleeve that could be slid off the main part of the unit. By doing so, the concern I had with the bumps disappeared. Taking the unit to the pantry door itself showed that this was an exact replacement and the whole chamber with the ball inside of it fit snuggly in the existing hole.

What I liked was that the package also included the strike plate which meant that if I needed to do more than just replace the worn ball catch, I had all the parts needed. This would also work to install this device in a new installation. Always nice to see that all the parts you need are provided!

Mission accomplished. Repair done. And no more headaches from bouncing metal balls!

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolute Junk, April 30, 2013
This review is from: Closet Door Ball Catch
This was installed by the builder on a kitchen pantry door. This door is opened many times a day. The item worked at first, but went out of adjustment very quickly, making the door very hard to open. After being adjusted many times, the piece that holds the ball in place, let the ball fall out as soon as the spring applied any pressure. It was not obviously broken, but the metal must have fatigued and deformed. The only good thing about this product is that it was fairly easy to remove by prying it out. I have since replaced it with a ball catch from Home Depot that screws in. Only time will tell whether or not it holds up any better, although it does look more robust. Because the pantry door has wire shelves attached to the inside, I cannot install a standard door knob and latch easily. However, if you have a closet door that is opened and closed frequently, that is what I would recommend rather than this ball latch that is not up to the task.

5.0 out of 5 stars MG Supply, July 29, 2010
After searching local hardware stores for several days looking for closet door ball catches, a simple trip to Amazon found MG Supply who quickly supplied the product within a couple days. Thank you MG for your rapid response.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Repair For Broken Closet Latch, February 14, 2014
My home was built in 2005 and the closets close with a catch ball installed in the top of the door. Recently, one of the balls just "popped out" and went flying across the room. I bought this replacement (color didn't matter since the catch ball isn't visible in my application) installed it and the closet door works as well as it did the day we bought the house. Good price, good quality. Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worked Fine to Replace Broken Catch, March 19, 2013
Not much to say since it's a fairly simple thing. I used it to replace a broken catch on a door and it worked fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Closet door hardware broken and won't stay closed?, January 6, 2013
Good replacement parts for original ball and spring latches that break down after a few years. Easy install. Buy with confidence!

Closet Door Ball Catch
Closet Door Ball Catch by Howard Berger (Ultra Hardware)
$5.99 $3.80