Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Mudcrutch Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Father's Day Gifts The Baby Store Shop now Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now SnS

Format: Paperback|Change

on February 6, 2005
Part-time iconoclast and two-fingered typist Dale Andrew White is a natural born storyteller with an especial flair for blending fantasy, whimsy, satire, and a fevered imagination into original stories that are replete with ribald humor and reader-engaging novelty. Subtitled "made-to-fit tales for the maladjusted", this collection of short stories showcase a genuine and offbeat talent anthologized into a 110-page compendium which includes The South's Greatest Writer; Lunacy Grounded; Nature of the Beasts; Babes in Arms; Mightier than the Sword; Benny the Broker; The Twiddlebum Method: Shaping Today's Youth for a Limited Tomorrow; Behind the Throne; Kiss of Knowledge; The Battle of Florence Tucker; Scenic Hell Becomes Vacation Hot Spot; A Taste of Palp; Life of the Party; The Dirtiest Words in the World; Double Occupancy; Feed the Lawyers; The Bells of Griswald Stump; Mrs. Reinsman Rides Again; and the title piece, Moe Howard Died For Our Sins. Highly recommended reading!
on February 11, 2015
Dale Andrew White spins tales that tickle the brain in “Moe Howard Died for Our Sins”. Imagine a mixture of The Twilight Zone and Grimm's Fairy tales.

Have you ever wondered what it would be like to get exactly what you wished for? White's colorful characters gain their heart's desire while simultaneously losing a segment of themselves. These short stories carry the reader into a different world full of suddenly possible impossibilities.

Enter a universe where pigs talk, where human beings float and where small children act like petulant soldiers. These stories can be read as a whole or one at a time; each has a nugget of psychological insight tucked away. Every story made me eager to lap up the next imaginative slice of the pie.
on June 30, 2008
This is an awesome little book! There's nothing better than a well put together book compiled of a variety of short stories that stimulate the imagination as much as these. In this book there is everything from talking farm animals living in a society similar to our own, wars between third graders and seven year olds, and even a support group for those with the odd talent, or dirty habit, of levitation.

The book is stuffed full of humorous and thought provoking tales that are sure to strike anyone's funny bone. There were so many great stories that I couldn't possibly pick a favorite, but if I had to, I'd choose "A Taste of Palp".

This is a great book to keep on the bedside table and read a couple of stories each night. It's a quick read and I soon found it difficult to put down as each story is as riviting as the next. This one will definately be read over and over again.
on June 27, 2008
This was an incredible piece of fiction from an author who had to have been diagnosed with an EXTREMELY overactive imagination as a child-there's no other way to explain a book where people bounce off the ceiling as a matter of course! Did you know there were floaters out there, carefully concealed so the rest of us don't know about them? I sure didn't!

I have to say, "Moe Howard Died for Our Sins" (the not-so-tiny short that shares its name with the novel) was far and away my favorites. The t'ings I never knew about the Stooges!

I laughed and yelped in outrage alternately from the first page to the last while I was reading this, and I highly recommend it to anybody looking for a pleasant change from the ordinary drivel that's currently cluttering up bookstore shelves.

Does anybody have a pie....?
on July 17, 2008
I thoroughly enjoyed the wit and satire of Dale Andrew White. Moe Howard Died for Our Sins is full of the twisted humor I love so much. Especially close to my heart was the short "Kiss of Knowledge". It actually brought back childhood memories. The twisted humor is just what you need to step out of the norm and have some fun. Dale Andrew White has a hit with this book. Whether or not you enjoyed the Three Stooges, you will enjoy this book.
on January 17, 2015
Moe Howard is an interesting little volume of short stories that satirize everything from religion to education to government to comedy and death. The fascinating copy that goes with the book on Amazon and Goodreads really does nothing for the book - but at the same rate, after having read it I cannot think of a better way to describe the short stories than with nonsequiturs disguised in bizarre unclear in jokes. Yet when you finish it, all you can think is, “yup, there you are!”

The stories were mostly funny and engaging, with some great gags and punchlines throughout. A couple of the stories I couldn’t quite figure out if I understood the joke, but then on second thought I think I recognized that the piece wasn’t racist or unclear, but the mirror was being held to a particular angle of American Society I don’t give much thought to.

I really enjoyed some pieces. Overall the Magical Realism, when presented, was beautiful and effective, such as in Lunacy Grounded and A Taste of Palp. The titular story of Moe Howard was a fun poke at gag comedy and higher education. Mightier Than The Sword hit publishing hard, and The Twiddlebum Method did the same for education. Behind the Throne was a great piece of satire that hit a lot of groups where it hurts, from the church to celebrity. Kiss of Knowledge was an indictment of war, childhood, and rule. I believe that my favorite pieces in the collection were Lunacy Grounded and the hilarious Life of The Party.

My only gripe about the works as a whole - and a gripe enough to call it four stars instead of five and the difference between my loving them and just enjoying them - is the fact that the voice in the stories does not change at all. In my realm, I read not just for the story, but for the writing itself, and when I read a collection I expect there to be some variation of tone, atmosphere, and diction depending on the story’s characters and themes. In this case, there was no variation. I will say it works in terms of keeping the stories together in one collection, but I do wonder in examining the other works of this author if he writes like this all of the time, or just for this particular group of stories. If so, that might be one joke I do not get.

Great collection, well-edited and formatted, and artwork could be more engaging - but I don’t read books for the cover.
on February 6, 2015
An acerbic, abrasive writer. A cult of Stooges. Talking animals. Moe Howard Died For Our Sins is a collection of short stories with a sick twist. Each tale centers around a highly unusual setting or character, and most of them are played fairly straight (as in, the oddities are not unusual within the context of the story). The stories are humorous, irreverent satire, and the perfect bedtime stories for its intended audience of irreverent people.

The stories are extremely imaginative and well written. The prose flows well, using unique words and metaphors in each story to great effect. While some stories are from third-person perspective and others from first-person, the "tone" of the stories is more or less the same. There should be more variation in the type of language used, literary devices, etc between short stories. The stories can also reflect certain aspects of our society and culture, and sometimes they deal with racism or addiction, for instance. Not all of them shined, but I did enjoy many of the stories in the collection and don't feel like my time was wasted on any in particular. The cover is pretty plain, but I must say I was pleasantly surprised; don't judge this book by the cover!
on January 21, 2015
Moe Howard Died For Our Sins is a small collection of short and humorous stories written by Dale Andrew White. Some of the stories are quite odd and most are over-the-top strange but all are funny if they fit your idea of humour. Lucky for me they are exactly my sense of humour and I thoroughly enjoyed all of them. In fact the only one I truly didn’t enjoy was the title story which, compared to the others, seemed a bit boring. My favorite story in the collection was Nature of the Beasts which gives a glimpse into the lives of a community of animals and their own prejudices. The story was not only funny, especially for an animal lover, but had a timely message for humans. Another favorite of mine was Life of the Party, a little tale about the Grim Reaper receiving an award and the odd party thrown in his honour. The story is very smartly written and enjoyable as are most in this book. All in all, this collection makes for a fun read, especially after a rough day and all you want to do is laugh. The formatting was a little off on my ereader but that could have entirely been due to my device. The cover, as of the time of reviewing this book, is fairly non-descript.
on February 11, 2015
Dale Andrew White is giving us a great set of short stories in Moe Howard Died For Our Sins: made-to-fit tales for the maladjusted with a smile clearly plastered on his face from the twisted sense of humor that he writes with. It is just over 100 pages of delightful reading that could easily be doubled and not lose a readers interest.

What Dale is delivering here is a book of satire on all of the touchy subjects in the world from religion to the government and does so with his own brand of humor. A lot of the stories here may be a bit harsh on those who cant take a good ribbing or are on the wrong side of the fence of Whites beliefs but overall this has some solid writing within.

Just the right mix of off color humor and satire to give you a good chuckle mixed with some bizarre takes on life.

Don't let the title throw you though, this is not a Three Stooges tribute in any manner and only has a single story that is extremely loosely based on Moe himself.

While a quick read, if you like off humor you'll probably enjoy picking up a copy!
on February 1, 2015
First, I’m more of a Curly fan (Moe was a bit of a jerk with a violent streak!), but I had to check out this collection of satire because of the Stooges reference in the title. Plus, I’m relatively maladjusted, so I figured this would be a perfect read. If you prefer your humor to be witty and intelligent, you’ll love this collection from Dale Andrew White. The topics range from from a tour of Hell to a peek backstage at the second coming, but those just scratch the surface. Sure, some of them don’t make a lot of sense, but effective humor doesn’t have to make sense, does it? Just look at Monty Python.

This is a terrific blend of fantasy, humor, and satire that’s perfect for those who already love to giggle. I had a great time sharing these tales with my family (a silly bunch, themselves). We all especially appreciated BEHIND THE THRONE, a little jab at the church and fame. Highly recommended to enjoy alone to share with anyone who loves a good laugh.