3,297 Reviews
 (2,152)

2,413 of 2,454 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars situational awareness, an engineers perspective.
Customer Video Review     Length:: 6:44 Mins
I was so impressed by the value of these phones, I made a video.
feel free to Check my references, I am a 15 year veteran of Live sound and own a recording studio in Maui
[...]
I am a Life member of the NRA and a member of the Valley Isle Sport shooters.
Shooting is my hobby, sound is my life.
I entrust my main...
Published on December 24, 2010 by MauiRifleman

3.0 out of 5 stars For the price, excellent; average overall.
I bought these for my wife. I was originally going to get her a pair of Peltor Tactical 6s electronic earmuffs because I had ALWAYS heard high praise for them--and I use a pair of Tac 7s myself, which I'll never give up--but then I read some of the negative reviews on the Amazon product page (I wonder how many are schills?). So based on the negative Amazon reviews and...
Published on October 27, 2009 by JW

4.0 out of 5 stars Great bargain, November 2, 2009
This review is from: Howard Leight R-01526 Impact Sport Electronic Earmuff (Tools & Home Improvement)
I bought the earmuff for shooting handguns and feel that the product does what it claims to do. I like the compact and slim line look. The comfort is good too. The volume control takes a little getting used. By turning up the volume too much, you start getting what they call "white noise." Overall, when you compare this product to other comparible electronic earmuffs, it really is a good deal. Other similar products will easily cost you $80-100.

5.0 out of 5 stars you and your mom will like these, May 13, 2009
C. Peterson "nuke it" (Los Alamos, NM United States) - See all my reviews
Purchased these after being less than full satisfied with peltors. The features I prefer about these are: more comfortable, higher volume, better drop-out circuitry, higher-fidelity sound, single volume knob, auto-off, easy battery replacement. The only problem I had was that they were too big. I'm average sized, but even on the smallest setting, still too big. Stuck some 1/2" foam to the headband to fix.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Earmuff 4 a Great Price, June 14, 2009
Bought these after doing research on many different brands of noise canceling earmuffs. These are the best! They work super great, they are made really well, they have the added advantage of good muff size, doesn't interfere with rifle stock like the bigger ones, battery placement is easy to get to, they fold,there is an external hookup for an iPod :) they are comfortable, and the green is a good sedate color. The packaging was even easy to get into. Great deal! I got two, one for me and one for my husband. A friend on the range borrowed them and he is ordering them now too.

1.0 out of 5 stars We Evaluated These - They Didn't Do Well, August 23, 2013
D. Denny (North Carolina) - See all my reviews
I operate an indoor firing range and I purchase many sets of electronic ear protectors for my students, myself, and my assisting instructors. I have tried many different electronic hearing protectors over the past 24 years, some good and some not. I recently purchased three sets of these exact ear protectors from Grainger for evaluation purposes. I did not like them and neither did my instructors who tried them. They do not hug the sides of your face well and thus do not cap and seal well around your ears. Two of the three sets I purchased began to emit a static sound within the first couple of days. Replacing the batteries did not make the static go away. I will be sending these back. And even though I have yet to find the perfect set of amplified hearing protectors for use when around gunfire, the set that seems to be the most popular are the Peltor TacticalSport hearing protectors. This isn't intended to be an advertisement for Peltor because I steer away from their cheaper amplified hearing protectors because they don't hold up well, even with gentle use. I'm merely mentioning the TacticalSports series because the majority of my instructors (who wear them the most), prefer it. I hope this helps you make an informed decision.

5.0 out of 5 stars These work great, December 27, 2009
I ordered these several weeks ago and have used them twice each week for 2 hours of shooting each day. They work flawlessly indoor shooting semi-auto pistols, full-auto 9mm, and rifles, all while being able to hear instructors giving orders. Just had to replace the batteries today.

I ordered a second set for my daughter who's learning to shoot; she is much more confident using them because she can clearly hear me explaining what to do at the range. Our indoor range is very loud and nearly always full of people shooting pistol and rifle caliber guns. These really do work well.

I have ordered many items from Amazon over the years and never submitted a review until now... I was so impressed with these, I figured I'd share my experience with them.

2.0 out of 5 stars Unbearable hum, slow response to impulse noise. Not as good as the Peltors I bought these to replace., June 6, 2010
I had a pair of Peltor Tactical 6S ear protectors that I loved. But unfortunately I lost them. While searching for a replacement, I came across these Howard Leight Impact Sports protectors.

They had positive reviews, were less expensive and (bonus!) had an audio input jack. So I bought the Howard Leight's instead.

At home, they fit great and seemed to shut out ambient noise well enough. But when I took them to the range I was disappointed.

Upon plugging in my MP3 player there was a humming/buzzing noise in the left ear that was was so loud it drowned out the audio. I consider this a manufacturing defect.

They did repond to impulse noise, but were slow to dampen the noise and also to recover back to normal after the noise. I switched back and forth between my new Howard Leights and my wife's Peltors, and the difference was really noticeable.

So I have two complaints: the headphones buzz when an audio source is plugged in, and the reponse to shut out impulse noise is very slow. I hope this review is helpful to you all.

5.0 out of 5 stars I can't believe my ears!, November 1, 2009
CJ (North Dakota) - See all my reviews
After reading the reviews I bought two sets of these for my wife and I to use during deer hunts. They amplify sounds great, didn't have any distortion in high winds and cut out instantly while we were at the range today. We own Midland gmrs radios so the jack in the Leights was a major factor in trying these out. I had to modify the Midland headset/mics since they have a combined two prong plug. One thing about the Leight's and radio transmitors, the radios need to be well away from the headsets or they pick up radio interferance. The supplied cord combined with the modified Midland cord is long enough to position the radio on the hip and the headset does not get the radio interference at that distance. If your interested in the Midland modification, you'll need to get the headset that has the microphone seperated from the earpiece, cut off the earpiece, cut plug off the cord Leight provides and splice them together.

They are also very comfortable to wear even when wearing eyeglasses. They didn't pinch in yet still managed to get enough of a seal to protect our hearing. I'll post another review after deer season if anything would change my rating for these. We'll see how the batteries hold up during cold North Dakota hunts. Definitly well worth the money spent here on Amazon, under $100 for two sets with free shipping. Even if these dont work out for hunting, they can't be beat for a day at the range.

Update; Found a minor issue with them. They will buzz when you are walking near overhead power lines. Not too bad but you definitly don't want to stand or walk under power lines for too long or it can get annoying. It's amazing how well they pick up sound, I heard deer moving in heavy cover.

update 4 years in, These are still going strong after 4 years of hunting and shooting in North Dakota. Last year was freezing ice, my scope and eyeglasses were useless before this headset was. Best money I've spent on Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweeeet!!, August 27, 2009
I bought these for shooting. Things I really like:
1. Styling is cool, professional looking
2. They fold nicely into a compact bundle
3. Fit is tight, very comfortable, and adjustable
4. The volume knob is easy to find and operate
5. The profile is slim, which allows you to get close to the rifle stock
6. Amplification works great - hearing conversations is not a problem (stereo mics probably help..)
7. When listening to music, you can still hear external sounds
8. The integrated MP3 player jack is a nice touch
9. The four-hour auto-shutoff feature is nice too

If I were to nitpick a little, I'd have to say that the amplified sound is more on the high-frequency side. Same applies to the music - you won't get much bass.

5.0 out of 5 stars God's Hearing for Sale, September 26, 2009
These things are sweet. I recently bought a handgun and wanted to buy some basic ear protection for shooting. Well, these aren't basic earmuffs but they're worth a little extra; I find myself using them for a lot more than shooting. The mp3 port is super convienient for listening to tunes while the earmuffs selectively block out loud noises--great for mowing & blowing the lawn. The noise filtering feature is so cool that if it is jacked up all the way it will amplify tiny ambient noises, like footsteps and doors closing and make them seem like they are happening right on your shoulder. For this feature alone I would recommend these muffs it is a surreal feeling to be able to keenly pick up these little sounds. Also these are the only ear protection I have ever owned that don't reduce the quality of a conversation while still offering protection from loud noise blasts. Great buy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice for shooting, but not other stuff, September 14, 2009
R. May (Bay Area, CA) - See all my reviews
I work in HVAC and I got these to be able to listen to music while working on large equipment. They don't work at all for constant noise unless they are off (which means you cannot listen to music). The input is setup to work with a walkie talkie not really meant for listen to music. The other thing is when you turn the volume up you not only make the music louder but you make everything else louder also. Besides that the fit was really nice and they will still work very nicely at a shooting range.

Howard Leight R-01526 Impact Sport Electronic Earmuff