How's the picture/audio quality on this Blu-Ray?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 2, 2010 8:08:09 AM PST
eric_f says:
If anyone has purchased this Blu-Ray could they please comment on the picture/audio quality? Although I'm very excited that this classic film is finally on hi-def I'm going to first get more info on whether it translated well to this format, taking into account its age.

Posted on Mar 3, 2010 7:05:22 AM PST
S. Krouse says:
Just finished watching the Blu-ray release of "Clash of the Titans" on a LG BH200 player/ 32" 1080i LG TV. It is, in my opinion, a sharper, clearer picture and better sounding than the original release on standard DVD. But, don't let your expectations be too much. The special efects are still obvious, but they seem to "blend" better into the background. Some scenes of the movie are very sharp, while others seem a little "grainy". I think the "graininess" is from the attempt to add visual effects (fog, mist) to a particular scene. Bottom line: It's better than the original standard DVD release and am happy to "double-dip".

Posted on Mar 3, 2010 7:06:37 AM PST
Here is what I just posted as a review. Hope it's helpful:
Just got the blu-ray yesterday and watched it last night on a 1080p 65" panasonic plasma. Over all, I think the transfer isn't bad. There are some grainy transfers (the opening scene starts this way, and I was thinking---oh this isn't going to be good). But some of the scenes are crystal clear with great definition. Be ready to see all the flaws that you wouldn't see in the DVD, given the mix of stop motion animation, mattes, etc. With the HD transfer, you'll see blue lines around mattes and background film. The most obvious thing to me was the burning "body" in the Joppa square is very clearly made of wood; it's almost painful to see how bad the prop is when shown in high def. You'll also notice how obvious the witches' prosthetic chins and eye covers are; again the price of having a more defined product. I actually enjoyed seeing how all the different techniques blended together to make the film, but it could be distracting to others.

I'd say my biggest distraction with it all (and this showed in the theater and DVD) is how many "night" scenes were actually done during the day with a filter. I think it's a bit more obvious with the high def, but if you've seen this movie in any format you've seen it.

The sound is decent; I thought it was a bit low on the volume; I had to turn it up a little louder than I normally do for movies.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2010 11:15:52 AM PST
eric_f says:
Thanks for the replies. Looks like it's not a perfect transfer, but still worth getting. I'll probably pick it up. And the booklet that comes with it seems pretty cool.

Posted on Jun 28, 2010 8:28:34 AM PDT
I would recommend buying the keepcase version for $4.99 on sale. It doesn't sound like the Blu-ray is enough of an upgrade for justify the extra cost. I played the keepcase on a Blu-ray player and the best scenes are near HD quality.

Posted on Feb 27, 2011 5:06:59 PM PST
I cannot judge the audio quality but the Blu-ray is superior to the DVD in picture quality. Yes, it is grainy in parts but if you turn down the sharpness so it doesn't magnify the film grain the picture is much sharper and much more three dimensional. I have already sold my DVD since the Blu-ray is superior.

Posted on Jun 21, 2011 9:59:51 PM PDT
Jason Hohler says:
This movie is easily one of the worst transfers to Blu-Ray I have ever seen. The grain is terrible and the sound quality is not up to hi def standards. Now, I have watched this on a 106in screen with a Sony HD projector VPW-70 which produces an excellent picture . So, it may be that the grain is that much more amplified, but I have also watched it on a Panny G30 54in plasma and noticed the same amount of grain. In my opinion, the movie is great, but the Blu Ray version is unwatchable.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2012 9:05:17 PM PST
fulcilives says:
I second that, one of the WORST Blu-ray transfers that I own, and ever seen! It's a real let down because this is one of my favorite movies of all time! What a GREAT film score!

Posted on Jan 31, 2014 6:33:48 PM PST
Umanfly says:
Well heres my conclusion from all ive heard :
1 .Book Versions are hard to find ..... Get it now while its avaliable .
2. When a better version comes out replace it in your Book Version .
Case Closed .

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2014 11:50:17 PM PST
grafdog says:
Its not remastered, it looks like a dvd upconverted. It was released on the quick to cash in on the new COTT. Its the worst looking Harryhausen blu-ray. I actually turned it off and threw down the case in disgust on my first try watching it.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  9
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  Mar 2, 2010
Latest post:  Feb 9, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Clash of the Titans [VHS]
Clash of the Titans [VHS] by Laurence Olivier (VHS Tape - 1994)
4.4 out of 5 stars   (526)