Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Hoya 52mm UV(C) HMC Slim Multi-Coated Filter
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on December 29, 2006
Looking through it with the naked eye reveals no distortions or imperfections. This is a genuine multi-coated UV filter (test this by looking at a reflection of a light source on its surface: a perfect reflection indicates no coating, a dim reflection indicates a single coating, and a green reflection indicates multiple coatings). Multiple coatings yield greater light transmission through the glass, and less glare, but (and this affects all multi-coated filters from all companies) also pick up dust, fingerprints, and condensation very easily (just holding it on the metal ring with your fingers causes condensation from your perspiration).
22 comments|229 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 14, 2012
Using Hoya filters for years I didn't think twice choosing another one for my new lens. All Hoya filters I own are Super HMC (Hoya Multi-Coated) which according to Hoya website allows an average light transmission of 99.7%. This filter is HMC (not Super) and produces an average transmission of over 97%. Not that big of a difference, you might think. Considering that, together with a price of almost third of a Super HMC filter and 4/5 stars rating I decided to give it a try.

Results were very disappointing. 97% vs 99.7% gives you ten times more light reflected off the filter glass, and that's a lot. Please check out the image I attached to the product description. It shows reflection off this Hoya UV(C) HMC filter compared side-by-side to Hoya Pro1 UV(0) Super HMC filter (on right) and $5 Kenko filter (on left). As you can see the performance of this filter is not even close to the Super HMC. At some angles it's even worse than cheap non-coated Kenko.

Considering low price and Hoya build quality I would give it 3-4 stars but I want other Hoya fans out there to be warned about HMC vs Super HMC difference, hence just 2 stars.
review image
on March 16, 2010
When I bought this, the product images were of the Hoya regular UV filter and not the HMC filter (I uploaded the product package image just before writing this). So I was a little unsure of which filter I was going to get. After reassuring myself of the Amazon A to Z guarantee, I decided to finally buy this.

My lens (Pentax 18-55mm DAL lens) already comes with anti-glare coating, but with this, it is even harder to get lens flare. I tried intentionally taking pictures of the sun and bright lights to cause lens flare to little avail, this filter really does it's job! And being the worry wart I am, now I have an extra layer of protection on my lens should I happen to bump my lens into something.

This filter is has the slim frame, but my lens cap still fit onto my lens on top of the filter. This filter does not cause vignetting.

With that said, it is exceptionally difficult to clean. After 1 hour of polishing with my lens cloth, 1/8 can of compressed air and 4 drops of lens cleaner later, finally decided that it was 'clean enough' and gave in. You cannot see the fine smudges (slight fogginess) until you go and screw it onto your lens. Depending on how OCD you are, you may never get these clean to your satisfaction.
review image review image
on October 10, 2012
Early in Sept I searched on Amazon for "Hoya HMC UV 52 mm filter" and bought and received an excellent Hoya HMC 52mm UV(o) filter made in Japan. That one is great almost no reflection of light from a table lamp. Then I bought another new lens and needed another filter so I ordered again linking to the product on Amazon from my previous Amazon order so I would be sure to get the same great filter. This time the seller had changed to "Gigabargan" and unfortunately so has the filter they are selling under the same description as before on Amazon. This time I got a Hoya HMC 52mm UV(C) filter made in the Philippines instead. The "C" must stand for "Crap" as the filter is highly reflective compared to the UV(o). Also the original UV(o) filter package says it is Multicoated on the front and on the back, but this later UV(c) package says multicoated on the front but the back says "FULLY COATED" . The seller is not being specific in what they are selling so they are getting this one back. HMC must not mean Hoya Multi Coated all the time.
on February 10, 2011
I have both this filter and a Hoya Super HMC 52mm filter (which costs twice the price). I've swapped the filters between my Nikon 50mm f1.4d and 24mm f2.8 lenses and honestly have to say that I'm hard pressed to find any discernible difference between the two filters. If you're trying to decide between the two, I would forgo the Super HMC and get this filter.

This filter does what any great UV filter should -- it stays 100% out of the way of your shot and protects your lens. I've never experienced any ghosting or flares in my shots. It's solidly built and the threading is clean and smooth allowing easy screwing/unscrewing. At this low price, how much could you really save by taking a chance with a filter from a no-name brand? Is it really worth the risk of having glare or washed out images?
on June 26, 2007
Fits perfect, is clear as a bell and does not slow down the lens. A great filter.
on February 11, 2012
OK, I am NOT a professional photographer, completely amateur here. I just operate with a normal Nikon D40 and 3 lenses. At the online recommendation by Ken Rockwell (pretty cool guy), I got UV filters for all my lenses. One of the stated reasons was to protect the lens from damage, which I did not give as much credit to as the reduced glare, etc.

that is, until last week when my significant other hooked the camera strap and yanked the camera off the table to land lens-down on the floor. Urg. I thought that was the end of the lens right there.

However, the Hoya UV filter i had installed saved the lens. the filter ring, which evidently is soft metal, folded just enough to absorb some of the impact. after taking 10 minutes to pull the shattered glass out of the ring and fold the ring in to get it off the lens, I discover the lens is in fine shape, no scratches on the lens glass.

so, I would say the $15 to $20 you spend could save you from busting a $200 or $400 lens.

Additional note: when I lost the lens cap on a hayride, I didnt' have to buy another one because I had the UV filter on there to keep from scratching my lens surface. another good use...

RECOMMENDATION: Buy new.

Warning: I've noticed a lot of reviewers have complained about knockoffs. Only buy DIRECTLY from Amazon, not one of the fulfilled by Amazon or other marketing partners, or buy from the camera website that also starts with A (can't mention them here). Amazon buys from Hoya, so you won't be buying a knockoff if you make sure it is SOLD BY AND FULFILLED BY AMAZON.
on October 5, 2010
I don't have too much experience with lens filters, but what little I do have tells me that this one works just fine. The glass is nice and clear, and haze free as described. Offers good protection for my lenses for a decent price.
on September 27, 2010
Hoya HMC UV(0) has been replaced with Hoya UV(c), and you will get the (c) unless the seller has older production. The filter is also made in the Philippines. Apparently they have been outsourcing a number of filters. (See my review on the Cir-PL in this size). According to several forums, the (c) is slimmer, but other than that, it is unchanged from the (0). I will be curious to see some reviews on these stacked up against the old ones by people more advanced than me.....Gotta love outsourcing. Product gets four stars for the mislabel on Amazon.

R
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon February 17, 2016
Hoya HMC filters provide premium optical quality at a reasonable price, making HMC filters a real bargain. The Hoya HMC UV(C) filter is the perfect filter to protect your expensive lenses from dirt and scratches and the filter has zero negative impact on the quality of your photos.

Amazon lists HMC filters under a variety of listings with many different vendors and a wide range of prices. I chose Amazon vendor Adorama, as Adorama offers a high level of customer service and Adorama always delivers precisely the item promised.