5.0 out of 5 stars Nice software
This is very nice software, it is face and gives the feel of playing at a casino. Great practice or learning guide. I use mostly blackjack.
Published 17 months ago by Louise

1.0 out of 5 stars ZERO STARS - Worthless
Published on November 20, 2008 by TLR

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars ZERO STARS - Worthless, November 20, 2008
This review is from: Hoyle Casino 2009 [Old Version] (DVD-ROM)
Please don't waste your money on this game. The 2004 version is much better. This game requires massive computer resources to run and is STILL choppy and painfully slow. On an XP system it takes almost 15 minutes for the DVD (yes - DVD, not CD-ROM) just to initially load and show anything on the screen for installation. Support site says it can take over 30 minutes on Vista.

Then there were a slew of bugs in the shipped version, so you have to download a MASSIVE patch from the web site. After several hours on my high-speed internet connection, I went to bed. It finished sometime in the middle of the night. I'm not sure what "bugs" it fixed as the card are still tiny and unreadable. I think Hoyle spent all its efforts on the massive and unnecessary graphics.

Finally, the only reason I bought the newer version was in the hope that the gaming logic had improved - specifically in tournaments. The old game always got stuck in rampant and runaway "raises" with no basis in reality. I was hoping this had been corrected, but no such luck. It's still just as bad as it was in 2004.

This is going straight to a landfill. I wouldn't even donate this game to Goodwill.

1.0 out of 5 stars Craps is not good, January 24, 2009
This review is from: Hoyle Casino 2009 [Old Version] (DVD-ROM)
The craps game was designed by someone who doesn't play craps. Money piled on top of your own chips makes it difficult. Also, placing odds is almost impossible. Terrible game play. In Vegas, everyone gets their own spot where only their chips reside. This game doesn't even come close to doing that with computer players seemingly placing their bets wherever they want.

1.0 out of 5 stars Casino 2009, June 16, 2009
This review is from: Hoyle Casino 2009 [Old Version] (DVD-ROM)
Got this version to replace my cracked 2004 disc. It has to be the worst software program I ever installed. I consider my self luck to have gotten a refund on it and have since found another used 2004 disc. The problems seem to have started after the publisher was changed from Sierra to Encore.
Checking the Hoyle forums about all you see is that they are aware of the problems and are working on a fix........

1.0 out of 5 stars useless, June 15, 2009
This review is from: Hoyle Casino 2009 [Old Version] (DVD-ROM)
terrible update of a good program have earlier versions on my xp laptop that are very good put this version on my new desktop trouble loading took 20 + minutes to download updates on broadband trusted hoyle to do good job an didn't read reviews big mistake stay away from this piece of garbage

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't Waste Your Money, October 19, 2008
Eric Baker (Sacramento, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hoyle Casino 2009 [Old Version] (DVD-ROM)
If you have the 2004 version of this, keep it ! No new characters, less playing options and choppy graphics. In the middle of playing this game when I changed venues it renamed my character to Alex, deducted $2500 from my bank account and took away my ability to speak, why ????? Also there is no drink service. Save your money, I uninstalled it and am playing the 2004 version again which is excellent.

1.0 out of 5 stars Hoyle Casino got worse, April 26, 2009
This review is from: Hoyle Casino 2009 [Old Version] (DVD-ROM)
i'm extremely disappointed w/ the 2009 version, particularly w/ the craps segment. how can this company go from a great format (2003) to one that makes no sense at all. it's like they're making-up their own rules for craps. very amateurish. i'm not buying anything from this company again. what a rip-off.

1.0 out of 5 stars C**p - Worse version ever!, March 18, 2009
Bartski (San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hoyle Casino 2009 [Old Version] (DVD-ROM)
This was the worse version of Casino ever! It is slow. Has poorly designed games and menu. I initially had trouble installing the game, then had to download a patch (which didn't do anything as far as I can see) that took over an hour to download. Complete waste of money. Encore hasn't gotten any of these games right since they took over the Hoyle series. I was going to upgrade my card and puzzles software, but now I am having serious doubts.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very poor implementation, February 24, 2009
This review is from: Hoyle Casino 2009 [Old Version] (DVD-ROM)
The game got a visual overhaul which is good. However, there are so many bugs with placing bets, there is no way I could recommend it in good conscience to anyone.

Bugs include:
- Betting issues (showing $200 raise when it actually raises $1000)
- Settings don't save. I have to reset the environment (speed, sounds, talking, etc.) EVERY time the game is run.
- Bankroll resets when game exits (yes, it sounds like something is read-only, but I can't find what is).
- Game crashes to desktop when exiting a poker tournament

Poor programming choices include:
- Exclusion of Blackjack tournaments (in previous versions)
- No easy way to move from one game to another. Must back out of the current game, pick a new sub-menu, select the next game, wait for it to load.
- Updated table/game effects, but players still look like they did in previous versions.

I hope there is some sort of patch that will massively overhaul this game, but as of right now, I feel it is money wasted.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Good, October 26, 2008
This review is from: Hoyle Casino 2009 [Old Version] (DVD-ROM)
I had an older version of this game, and like it much better. You can't raise on BlackJack as high as I would like to, as in the past. Also on the poker games, I couldn't even see what cards I had. Good thing it wasn't too expensive. I uninstalled it and tossed it into the garbage!

2.0 out of 5 stars Slow, slow and slower, December 29, 2008
This review is from: Hoyle Casino 2009 [Old Version] (DVD-ROM)
Just bought this program for my XP system (also wanted to install it on a Vista system computer). Downloading the cd took forever and a day. Once it was finally installed I can't believe how slow every function is. Tried to play blackjack. Forget it. The dealer deals the cards but no cards show up until the dealer is completely done. Horse racing.... I didn't have the time to wait for the horses to complete their race around the track.. Slot machines... very slow. The only game I found that was fast was the video poker and video blackjack. What a waste of money.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Hoyle Casino 2009 [Old Version]
Hoyle Casino 2009 [Old Version] by Encore Software (Windows Vista / XP)
$19.99 $4.99