Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Hoyle Casino 2009 [Old Version]
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on November 20, 2008
Please don't waste your money on this game. The 2004 version is much better. This game requires massive computer resources to run and is STILL choppy and painfully slow. On an XP system it takes almost 15 minutes for the DVD (yes - DVD, not CD-ROM) just to initially load and show anything on the screen for installation. Support site says it can take over 30 minutes on Vista.

Then there were a slew of bugs in the shipped version, so you have to download a MASSIVE patch from the web site. After several hours on my high-speed internet connection, I went to bed. It finished sometime in the middle of the night. I'm not sure what "bugs" it fixed as the card are still tiny and unreadable. I think Hoyle spent all its efforts on the massive and unnecessary graphics.

Finally, the only reason I bought the newer version was in the hope that the gaming logic had improved - specifically in tournaments. The old game always got stuck in rampant and runaway "raises" with no basis in reality. I was hoping this had been corrected, but no such luck. It's still just as bad as it was in 2004.

This is going straight to a landfill. I wouldn't even donate this game to Goodwill.
on January 24, 2009
The craps game was designed by someone who doesn't play craps. Money piled on top of your own chips makes it difficult. Also, placing odds is almost impossible. Terrible game play. In Vegas, everyone gets their own spot where only their chips reside. This game doesn't even come close to doing that with computer players seemingly placing their bets wherever they want.
on June 16, 2009
Got this version to replace my cracked 2004 disc. It has to be the worst software program I ever installed. I consider my self luck to have gotten a refund on it and have since found another used 2004 disc. The problems seem to have started after the publisher was changed from Sierra to Encore.
Checking the Hoyle forums about all you see is that they are aware of the problems and are working on a fix........
on April 26, 2009
i'm extremely disappointed w/ the 2009 version, particularly w/ the craps segment. how can this company go from a great format (2003) to one that makes no sense at all. it's like they're making-up their own rules for craps. very amateurish. i'm not buying anything from this company again. what a rip-off.
on June 15, 2009
terrible update of a good program have earlier versions on my xp laptop that are very good put this version on my new desktop trouble loading took 20 + minutes to download updates on broadband trusted hoyle to do good job an didn't read reviews big mistake stay away from this piece of garbage
on October 19, 2008
If you have the 2004 version of this, keep it ! No new characters, less playing options and choppy graphics. In the middle of playing this game when I changed venues it renamed my character to Alex, deducted $2500 from my bank account and took away my ability to speak, why ????? Also there is no drink service. Save your money, I uninstalled it and am playing the 2004 version again which is excellent.
on February 24, 2009
The game got a visual overhaul which is good. However, there are so many bugs with placing bets, there is no way I could recommend it in good conscience to anyone.

Bugs include:
- Betting issues (showing $200 raise when it actually raises $1000)
- Settings don't save. I have to reset the environment (speed, sounds, talking, etc.) EVERY time the game is run.
- Bankroll resets when game exits (yes, it sounds like something is read-only, but I can't find what is).
- Game crashes to desktop when exiting a poker tournament

Poor programming choices include:
- Exclusion of Blackjack tournaments (in previous versions)
- No easy way to move from one game to another. Must back out of the current game, pick a new sub-menu, select the next game, wait for it to load.
- Updated table/game effects, but players still look like they did in previous versions.

I hope there is some sort of patch that will massively overhaul this game, but as of right now, I feel it is money wasted.
on March 18, 2009
This was the worse version of Casino ever! It is slow. Has poorly designed games and menu. I initially had trouble installing the game, then had to download a patch (which didn't do anything as far as I can see) that took over an hour to download. Complete waste of money. Encore hasn't gotten any of these games right since they took over the Hoyle series. I was going to upgrade my card and puzzles software, but now I am having serious doubts.
on August 15, 2015
Game installed OK in Win7. On running it wanted to upgrade to a later version which took awhile. The replacement version probably works better in Win7, but strikes me as a bit clumsy and doesn't seem to retain my player or my balance on reloading it.
on January 14, 2013
Has kept gift recipient entertained for hours at a time over several years. Looking over shoulder I have observed how good the screens and interaction appears. Gameplay is robust. Have not been called on to fix something about the installation or operation of the game yet.