Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

Format: DVDChange

on November 14, 2010
Huge was an ABC Family show that ran in the summer months of 2010. It focused on a group of teenagers at a weight loss camp. It had 10 episodes total, and the timeframe was the first few weeks of camp. Most important, it was a smart, original show with realistic characters, quality writing and talented actors. The show made it clear: you shouldn't hate your body, you should be healthy. An amazing message during this time when over half of Americans are overweight, and actors on most other tv shows are stick thin.

ABC Family is a terrible network. I have tried to watch their other shows, such as The Secret Life, Pretty Little Liars and Melissa and Joey. They could be any other time slot filler-type show on any other network, yet these are the shows that will be on next year. It makes me sad, because they actually had the best, most realistic show about teens since Freaks and Geeks, and they cancelled it after just 10 episodes. I had hoped some other network would pick it up, because with the proper marketing, this show could have been just what it the title is: HUGE.
0Comment51 of 51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 18, 2011
Coming from Winnie Holzman (who created "My So-Called Life" and wrote the book for "Wicked") it's hard to imagine how this show flew as far under the radar as it did when it premiered on ABC Family in 2010. Sadly, it did, the ratings were miniscule, and it wasn't renewed. This means that the 10 episodes that were produced are all that we'll ever get to see of the world that she and the writers and actors put on screen, and that's a bit of a tragedy.

A host of talented young actors who have, by and large, made fledgeling careers out of playing the fat sidekick and doing brief walk-ons in other people's stories get to shine in a series that treats them as more than a one-note punchline. The characters feel lived-in and real as they grapple with the other problems that teens of all body shapes and sizes cope with, even as the story has a lot to say about how they see themselves and relate to a world in which people who look like them are stigmatized and underrepresented in the media; this is, after all, a show that aired next to "Pretty Little Liars". It's charmingly warm-hearted and charitable without being overwhelmed by sentiment (though at times it's a close-run thing), and it's a shame that it won't be coming back.

Well worth your time.
on December 9, 2011
I don't like teen dramas. In fact, I hate them because they tend to be contrived and superficial. Lately, they have also been exploiting teenagers by glamorizing them into something most of them can't even afford to be. However, this teen drama is flawless and the product itself is near-flawless. I'm not going to talk about the show much because Peter and Sundiata already did that for me and I'm not going to review the show because there are others out there who will do that for you (strongly recommend Jezebel's review of the show and comparison with Mike & Molly).

The show itself is amazing and I love that they focus on little flaws like natural blemishes. In the commentaries, Dooley said that they didn't put any make-up on the cast members and when they did, she asked the team to be as minimalistic as possible. They really did an amazing job to emphasize that these characters are real people. Including body image, other subject matters that arise are some that are rarely ever handled with such sophistication and poignancy--from Caitlin's eating disorder to Alistair's sexuality. It only makes me angrier that I didn't get to see a proper resolution for everyone that I wish they could have had.

The only complaint I would have about the product itself is that I wish there were subtitles and that there were commentaries on all of the episodes, including Nikki Blonsky and other cast members. It would have been fun to see what they had to say about certain scenes. It's a minor detail I could live without.

The show itself is flawless and this DVD set is a must-have for those who value high-quality television. Unless network TV gets their act together and realizes that not all women are Size 0 and not all men are buff & athletic and not everyone is heterosexual/cisgendered/heteronormative, you won't see another show like this for a long, LONG time to come.
on December 17, 2011
it is too bad this drama was cancelled , not only was it a good teen drama, it was a good drama period, not alot of shows featuring plus sized teens,or plus sized people of any age,when plus sized people are featured it is too make fun of them. or try to change them into "thin" people. this show shows deep emotions and positive things about themselves,yes it is set in a "fat" camp, and was little hesitate to watch because of that,fearing anothor negative show about large people , but after the first episode, i loved it.i was sure abc family would pick up this show, it did not,instead abc family kept shows like pretty little liars, which is a another show with super thin actresses, i think one of the reasons why this was not picked up was because it show postive things about large people. for some reason noone wants to see large people feel good about them selves.instead people are watching awful shows like the self depricating "mike and molly" which i hate, that show. soo if you are looking for a positive show, buy huge, like i did, and treasure it, because their wont be another show like it ,i thank the writers for thier great writing and nicki for her role of a lifetime.brava!!!
on November 24, 2014
i just finished watching this series and i LOVED it! it's a great story; the campy stuff is great -- i'm just finishing watching the extras. and i loved seeing this group of people together. just a great story, the father daughter. the horrible Mom of Amber.... yuck!

I hope somebody makes something like this again.... get on it ABC Family
on April 17, 2014
I LOVED this show & I really wished they kept it on the air longer than one season. You always wonder what happen to the characters & where would they been now. I htought it was a wonderful family show for people of all ages and weights. To be quite honest we need more shows like this in my opinion. :)
on August 2, 2013
I watched this show when it was on and was always upset that we didn't get a conclusion to the series. It left a lot of things unanswered. But the show is great not many extras, just a few interviews, and a music video, but I enjoyed watching it again.
on March 7, 2015
I saw the series when it first came out and I was disappointed when it ended too soon. I've always wanted it on DVD. Loved it then and I love it now!
on July 22, 2014
Loved this series when it was on t.v. so had to buy it. Sad they didn't pick it up for a second season!! :(
on July 31, 2014
I did love this show in the first few episodes but it didn't end up where I expected nor wanted it to. I can see why it was cancelled, but I'm extremely happy a show with this concept got on the air in the first place. For those who liked it, I'd recommend My Mad Fat Diary - it's a UK show set in the 90s and you might get what you wanted but didn't get from 'Huge'.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse