5.0 out of 5 stars as good as promised
I purchased the navigator for my 96 year old mother who was coming out of rehab for a broken and replaced hip.She is a little frail but is able to use the two wheel walker but not too far. She tried out a regular four wheeler with a seat and liked it but was still afraid to go too far.
Published on October 20, 2009 by Paul B. Berg

Published on April 23, 2012 by R. Desman

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars as good as promised, October 20, 2009
She loves this! When she and her caregiver walk to the local mall and market, she walks as far as she can then flips the backrest around and uses it as a wheelchair.
It was delivered to my home and I spent less than 20 min. putting it together. It is built like a rock, although I think most of these things are. It was easy to collapse, but not as easy as a portable wheelchair. If I was giving advice to a new owner, I would tell them to collapse it 4 or 5 times in your home first just for practice.
For some strange reason she likes to use it as her kitchen chair when she eats as it can be pushed in to the right position, other than that she does not use it in her home.
You can push it on carpet but it is best on a hard surface. We went out to a few resturants and were able to use it as a confortable dining chair.

5.0 out of 5 stars A marvel of intelligent engineering and worth every penny, February 27, 2011
Dance Day and Night (Montreal, Quebec Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hugo Navigator Combo Rollator Walker + Transport Wheelchair, Red (Health and Beauty)
Brilliantly designed. Construction appears extremely sturdy. Welds look very solid. All parts seem to be attached using screw fasteners, offering the possibility of repairs, although solid enough that I doubt these would ever be needed. Seat is firm and comfortable, wide enough to accommodate most budy builds. Very quick and easy to convert to a transport chair -- simply drop the foot rests onto the pivot pins and rotate them into place. Wheels are soft quiet and tough neoprene-like material. Brakes are readily adjustable (just like bicycle brakes) using two 5/16" open-ended wrenches. A real plus is that unlike most walkers and transport chairs which fold flat, but still are dimensionally large once collapsed, this walker folds into more of a cube, so that it can take the place of a passenger on a seat in even the most compact of automobiles. Very handy when accompanying a user to the hospital, if the hospital doesn't always have courtesy wheelchairs available. Handles are ergonomically contoured and very comfortable. Hint: if you have to leave it unattended, leave a steel cable lock in the storage compartment to be able to lock it a building structure. Seat is high enough that it cam indeed be used at a table, as commented upon by a previous reviewer. Wheel base is so large front-to-back that falling over, either forward or backward, seems quite improbable. Only one minor criticism: enclosed tool kit contains three allen wrenches. These are unlikely to ever be used. The manufacturer would be best to include some inexpensive wrenches to adjust the brakes, which will probably come up more frequently. A limitation: unlike models with larger "saddle bags", the stowage compartment under the seat isn't large enough to store much more than a purse after the foot rests are placed in it. Still, highly recommended.

1.0 out of 5 stars What is the point of having a customer service department without spare parts?, April 23, 2012
R. Desman (Scottsdale, AZ USA) - See all my reviews
I've had the Hugo Navigator for about three weeks and it performed flawlessly until yesterday. A latch used to collapse one of the rear legs became frozen and would not allow the leg to go into the transport or storage position. I called the factory and after discussing the problem they determined that they did not have the spare part to send so that I could do the replacement/fix myself even after volunteering to do so. I had no choice but to reorder another complete unit from Amazon and box up the non functional one to return to Amazon after having to find a work-around to get the leg collapsed to get it back into the box.
I hope that Amazon issues a credit.
What if I was a more elderly customer who needed this every single day and did not have the luxury of managing a for credit return to Amazon???
The Navigator seemed to be perfect for my needs and if anything over-engineered but anything can have mechanical issues but without customer service options for spare parts can I recommend it to anyone ???

5.0 out of 5 stars Hugo is wonderful, November 10, 2011
Hugo Navigator is probably the best product of any kind we have purchased in years. Easy to setup, easy to use, excellent design - even the small details, instruction manual etc. Great way to transition my 99 year old father in law from his walker. He is able to walk most of the time, but can ride when he is too tired or we have to go too far.

We were wondering how it would fit in our car - but that was not a problem. It can fully fold up (6 folds) in about 2 minutes, but we happily found that just folding 2 of the wheels got it ready to fit in the backseat of our compact car in about 20 seconds.
Highly recommended.
Strange - Amazon does not seem to provide for photo reviews anymore. We have a great photo of Hugo in the backseat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Huge Navigator, December 6, 2011
I was looking for a something that would double as a wheelchair and walker for my mom who has Parkinsons and this definitely fits the bill. We needed something that would allow her to walk until she was tired and then I could push her safely the rest of the way. Conventional wheelchairs are too big for her to easily push and if you're trying to shop they are difficult to navigate in tight quarters. This chair is not as comfortable as a regular wheelchair and the hard rubber wheels make it a little more difficult to push over things like door jambs but to have something that can easily be converted is worth it. Someone else commented that before you take this out in public you should collapse it a few times at home. That was excellent advice as it's a little difficult to learn but once you have the drill down, very easy. I keep the Navigator in my SUV at all times now because it collapses into such a small area. The one downside is that it is cumbersome to carry even though they make it look easy in the pictures. Other than that, I'm extremely happy with this purchase and so is my mom. I no longer have to worry about getting her out and there being the potential that she does not have the energy for the return walk back to the car.

5.0 out of 5 stars Glad this item rolled into my life :), November 29, 2011
Lani M. Selleck (Napa, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I'm younger than the usual buyer, broke several bones in an accident and this has been a huge help. I unloaded my house with wheelchairs, walkers, canes. that good samaritans had given me to help out. I now have this one item, it does everything I need and looks kinda spiffy. The handles (at their highest) are set for a person about 5'8" without the extenders (which are provided) and the only problem we have is that my husband is 6'6" so if he pushes it he has to bend a bit as the handles are set for my height. We could reset them each time but we are too impatient for that. It took a while for my husband to figure out how to fold it correctly so the big wheels would not fall loose when he had it folded. It was just an "out of order" error. After doing it about 5 times it became a 30 sec task. I will keep it in the family to loan everyone as it is a fantastic multi purpose item, and as for as I am concerned a traditional walker is useless. A rollator allows you to push down with your arms to straighten your spine and the handles are beside you instead of in front of you so your weight distribution is much more normal. I bought the blue and I find it less obtrusive than the red, even though I would normally gravitate to the flashy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Convenient when assembled, with some limitations, October 1, 2012
The Hugo is certainly not a replacement for a wheel chair, as the small wheels make pushing someone in it a dicey affair (I'll explain that a bit later). But it is good as a combo walker and occasional resting place for those in-between constant walker and occasional wheelchair use.

While I didn't have any trouble figuring out how to fold the Hugo, it is on the heavy side. While pushing someone, there is no provision to lean the chair back to go over even small obstacles such as raised thresholds. There is a temptation to try and power through the bump, but the small front wheels simply won't go over the bump, as the center of gravity seems to be toward the front wheels. On a wheelchair, there is usually a foot hold to steady the chair as you lean it back. For those small thresholds, such as those found on cruise ships, turning around, lifting on the handles and pulling the Hugo proved to be the only way to get the Hugo over the bump.

We bought two Hugos, one for my family and a friend's family. While ours seems stable when unfolded, theirs has a problem with the arms unlocking and folding down. We speculated it might be due to the tightness of the fasteners (we were on a cruise ship, and did not have tools to immobilize the head of the allen screws). The Hugo does come with a handy tool kit, but on their unit the head of the allen screws were turning and needed a pair of pliers.

For ambulatory folks who only occasionally need to sit and be pushed, the Hugo is a nice compromise. For those requiring more than about 10% chair use, I would recommend you look for a lighter, better centered wheel chair.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best one out there, June 2, 2013
Janine M (Cincinnati, OH USA) - See all my reviews
I bought this for my husband who, because of COPD, isn't able to walk far. The Hugo allows him to sit to catch his breath. The Hugo is by far the sturdiest rollator I have found. The larger wheels makes walking on grass and gravel easy. This has allowed him to attend our grandchildrens' soccer games and will be great when we go on vacation. I was able to put i together very quickly and folding it to stow in the trunk is easy. I would recommend this product to anyone who needs a rollator.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great walker/transport chair combo, April 1, 2012
We purchased this for my mom needing the option of a transport chair for times she's too tired to walk.

Pro: I love the convenience of flipping the seat back to convert from walker to transport. My mother in law has a different walker/transport combo that requires a lot more time and energy to convert which is a problem with the time needed to reassemble when your loved one is tired and needs a place to sit right away. A simple flip of the back and I can get my mom seated and safe. The foot rests are easily installed. The pouch under the seat fits all the seat belts and the foot rests so everything is convenient.

Con: Folding this walker/transport is a bit more involved than a standard walker because it folds into a cube. I find it much easier to store in the trunk of my car which is great. Yet, I would recommend to practice folding the walker/transport as it could be irritating trying to figure this out in a parking lot - in the rain!

5.0 out of 5 stars I should have gotten this years ago, March 9, 2013
Jill (Seattle, WA) - See all my reviews
My mother is 90 and has been using a walker my father used for many years that I got in a garage sale. My dad was tough and never used it to rest, but my mother does. Whenever she needs to sit, we are in essence, stranded. I own a transport chair, but it's very heavy and it's not a walker. so I bought this and it's just incredibly wonderful. It's so easy to push, my mother can now push ME in it, that's how easy it rolls. It works super well on sidewalks, going over bumps and cracks with ease, the brakes work well. And the construction is so good, so well built, I expect that in 40 years I will be using this walker too for myself. And my mother totally loves it, she loves the color and the fact that it looks like a racing bike, and it's so easy to push she walks faster than before. I did take the advice of other reviewers and learn to fold it up by practicing and reading the directions. I got a thwack on my knuckle by not reading them first. It's just an amazing feat of mechanical engineering, and I only wish I had bought it many years ago because it would have been incredibly wonderful to have. Highly recommended for folks who want to use a walker but also want to rest and keep moving!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›