Top positive review
41 of 45 people found this helpful
on January 24, 2012
Ingrid told us months ago that this album will be louder because she's growing up and she was a tad tired of being the sweet girl-y girl. This album is exactly what she warned us of, and she rocked it.
This album opens with the powerful 1. Fire, string-filled and stepping out of the boundaries. It reminds me a little of Viva La Vida by Coldplay.
2. This Is War, keeping her ukulele style a little with strong beats to it. "It's a wonder how I survived this war between your heart and mine." This is an enjoyable track, though it keeps an even level through out the song.
3. Do It Now, starting with a beat along with some strings followed by some beautiful harmonies. Ingrid's voice is very pure here, also versatile. It seems like an ordinary track, actually sounding similar to the one before it.
4. I'm Through, a beautiful track beginning with strings. She comes back to her piano here for the rest of the track. "I would rather feel the sting than to never had felt a thing." Ingrid's voice is pure and relaxing here. A nice violin solo takes the bridge to a dreamy place.
5. Blood Brothers, one of Ingrid's personal favourites. I'm getting a "Girls and Boys"(Ingrid's second album) vibe from this song. "We're all the same, under a different name. We're all blood brothers." This song is mostly acoustic guitar with occasional strings. It is powerful, yet keeping a sweet tone.
6. Black and Blue is real funk. Maybe a little Hip-Hop feel. This track really shows Ingrid's vocal abilities.
7. Ribbons starts with a nice acoustic chord progression and has some nice vocal harmonies. It's medium to fast paced and powerful enough to get you on your feet!
8. How We Love begins with acoustic guitar and the lyrics tell a love story. Ingrid's voice is very nice. Pure and sweet. This track is probably my personal favourite.
9. Palm Of Your Hand is an exciting and fast track. The exciting music with Ingrid's calmer voice adds so much to the song.
10. Ghost has some great music. Ingrid's voice seems a little nervous, though. I don't really understand why this track was chosen as the lead single... It's really only average.
11. In The Sea is filled with some powerful percussion. "Don't rescue me, I like the salt water sting/it feels so good to feel something." I like the meaning of this. Feeling something, even if it's pain.
12. Keep Warm starts off with some strings and some nice vocals. The verses and the chorus don't seem to go together though... This track reminds me of older music.
13. End of World is a perfect closing track. It is quite powerful with its strings and percussion.
Overall, I LOVE this album. Every artist needs a moment to step out of their boundaries, and Ingrid did this in a nice way.