4.0 out of 5 stars Clay in Creed's Hands can be nothing but Beautiful
Published on September 30, 1999 by Nathan Miller

3.0 out of 5 stars Eh, not so good.
I think I must have liked this album more when I bought it, but now I see that it just isn't so good. It ocurred to me recently that I never really listened to this album too much, and that everytime another single was released off it, my appreciation dropped a little more. But despite how popular or not popular this is, the simple fact of the matter is that it just...
Published on February 16, 2002 by The Wickerman

4.0 out of 5 stars Clay in Creed's Hands can be nothing but Beautiful, September 30, 1999
Nathan Miller (Castleton, VT USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Human Clay (Audio CD)
Please take into account that in my own mind I have rated this cd with a solid four and a half stars, not just four. With that said, let me address the more important matter, the album itself which is light years beyond in consistency compared to "My own Prison." "My Own..." was indeed a powerful album with highlights that far outshine the majority of the alt-metal records of late. The title cut was perhaps the most powerful, beautiful and by far best song while "What's this life for" and "One" were also stars in Creed's dark galaxy. This release, "Human Clay" is just filled with consistently excellent songs from the near anthem "Are you Ready", intense and strange "Beautiful", flawless and soulful radio ready "faceless man" to the superior final four tracks which include the rocking "Higher" and emotive "With arms...." Creed has put together a slick and worthy sophomore effort which will indeed ingrain them in the world of modern rock as a sturdy fixture with a long life ahead ahead of it.
Creed has once again employed both brilliant instrumentation and poignant, intelligent lyrics in its effort. If you are in search of moving lyrics check out "Wash Away Those Years", "Inside Us All", "With Arms..." and the positive and uplifting "Higher."
Both fans of Creed's first album and those who are seeking an intelligent and hard rocking album should find Creed to be the solution. Pick up "Human Clay" and journey into a world where powerful, dark, and beautiful music is of the essence.

5.0 out of 5 stars Strong Sophomore Set, November 26, 2000
This review is from: Human Clay (Audio CD)
Do not be surprised if you play through this CD on the first listen and find yourself only liking "Higher". That is what I did last year when I first purchased this CD. I proudly walked over to my neighbor's place and told him "Human Clay" was not any good. Well, I was wrong. Each of the 11 tracks deserve attention.
In many respects, this is a much superior effort from the foursome. First of all, you can tell that they had a bigger budget to record with this time. The sonic quality of the CD is first-rate and much richer than "My Own Prison". There is a definite improvement on the bottom end of the recording (bass and drums). Both Brian Marshall (bass) and Scott Phillips (drums) can be heard loud and clear this time. Secondly, the attention to melody on all 11 tracks is evident and welcome. That is a credit to better song writing. Third of all, Mark Tremonti tries some different things with his guitars and guitar effects. It makes for an interesting sound. Scott Stapp (lead vocals) is the fourth reason this album works well. The man can sing with power, passion, and emotion, and he shows good range with his vocal talents. Finally, the lyrics are wholesome and thought provoking (no naughty words this time). In spite of the melancholy feel with regards to the hard-edged sound, there is a great deal of hope and promise in the words ("Higher", "Eyes Wide Open", "Inside Us All", "Faceless Man" - just to name a few).
The only downside with this release is the absence of up-tempo rockers such as "Unforgiven", "Sister", or "One". "Human Clay" is basically a collection of power ballads and slower grunge fests that work well, but Creed demonstrated good rock-n-roll instincts on "My Own Prison" that seem to be held back a little on "Human Clay". Maybe the greater attention to melody and lyrics on this newer CD expended a great deal of creative energy, but hopefully for the third album, Creed can marry its new talents with the rock energy it displayed on its first CD.
Anyway, you should see this a being a good buy. It is definitely a more mature effort from Creed and an enjoyable collection of songs.

5.0 out of 5 stars A band that should be heard...., November 24, 1999
Anastasia (Connecticut, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Human Clay (Audio CD)
Creed is awesome. Their first CD, My Own Prison, was great. They have a sound and a vison that go excellent together. There is so much energy in their music. I have read the lyrics many times, and every time I re-read them, I find something new. Messages of peace and silenced corruption are spoken in very powerful words. Creed's new CD, Human Clay, is by far the most comforting CD I own. I listen to that CD every day and it helps me live through the day sometimes. Their first CD, I feel, was more of a loud protest. This CD is better described as a way to relate. Creed has a sound that is original and lyrics that are complex. Creed; a band that should be heard by everyone. Because even the people who don't much care for Creed's genre of music can find something they like. Creed; a band that should be heard by anyone who likes the fact that they can relate. Creed; a band that should be heard period.

5.0 out of 5 stars ~THANK YOU~, June 16, 2000
This review is from: Human Clay (Audio CD)
...two little words to four great guys. Thank You Scott Stapp, Thank You Mark Tremonti, Thank You Scott Phillips, Thank You Brian Marshall. We need you especially now.
Malcontent cynics will say Creed is just a goody-goody Alice in Chains or Pearl Jam, that's fine. It certainly won't stop them, thank goodness... and we have to remember why Grunge become popular in the first place-- IT SOUNDS GOOD- solid, brooding, sexy... and Creed gives it a healthy twist in the right direction, upwards; the style obviously inspired them--not a mystery. A little blaphemous perhaps? who knows...? they put MY mind in the right place... The whole CD is amazing-- Are You Ready is excellent in the role of leading track with great punch appeal-- but I can't forget to mention the current hot singles, Arms Wide Open with Mark saturating that pause with his guitar at just the right moment, and Higher, which just makes me want to fly-- it soars, dips and twirls... powerful. Sure, toss in some Stone Temple Pilots influences too-- whatever! It works.
Don't stop guys. Don't ever forget what is propelling you ... Having been very pleased by the debut & current, I'm looking forward to your 3rd effort, and I hope I have the opportunity to say Thank You again.

5.0 out of 5 stars A GREAT CD, December 30, 1999
This review is from: Human Clay (Audio CD)
This CD is awesome. The lead singer reminds me of vedder and the mix of the distortion, acoustic electric guitars, and mandolins make a sound no other grunge or metal band could have. If you look deep into the words, you can find the meaning of most of the songs. For instance, Faceless man refers to a man who's yoke is easy and who's burden is light. The last line is 'so won't you come in and never go away.' Yes, Creed is a band with moral songs mixed into the mainstream of popular music. A MUST BUY CD

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Top Ten Rock Discs Ever, December 24, 2000
This review is from: Human Clay (Audio CD)
Mostly being a jazz lover, it was a shock to me when driving to work one day several months ago I heard WAWO. It was the most incredibly emotional, power packed pop tune I had heard in quite a while. Later I heard "Higher" and was hooked. While my daughter has a collection of grunge CD's and other alternative rock albums I had always dismissed them as so much noise, thus I was somewhat put off when considering an investment in this CD. However a few weeks ago I did puchase the CD and haven't stopped playing it since. I am more interested in chord structure, flats, and dissonent notes juxstaposed to melody and beat; Bach and Beethoven are more my speed. But this CD blew me away, and I would recommeend it to anyone who likes classical music or jazz of the Thelonious Monk or Oscar Peterson variety. The tunes stay with you, and every time I play the CD I hear something different and more amazing. I can only say that I am looking forward to Creed's next disc, and will definitely buy their first CD "MOP." Buy this CD and be prepared for an awesome experience. (I am 58 years old and still enjoy great rock!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Human Clay Molded ME!, December 18, 1999
This review is from: Human Clay (Audio CD)
Human Clay is the perfect attempt to follow such a powerful album, My Own Prison. You can sense that the band has "grown up" not in a bad way, more like red wine, they both get better with age. I love the way the album starts with "Are You Ready?" It makes you feel like Creed is giving you a personal concert with the powerful guitar, and exciting lyrics! Next is "What If" it's an awesome song because he makes true fans feel appreciated! "Beautiful" is just that--BEAUTIFUL! Scott's soothing voice is accompanied by Mark's almost "mean" guitar to get the song's meaning across. "Say I" reminds me of The Doors' lead singer, Jim Morrison, in a word MYSTERIOUS. "Wrong Way" makes you think about life in general. "Faceless Man" reminds you that your conscience is always there. "Never Die" is a refreshing song about youth. "With Arms Wide Open" is a tear-jerking ballad about the birth of his son, and the emotions he experienced. "Higher" is a perfect follow-up to WAWO, because both are very uplifting, and almost anthemic songs. "Wash Away Those Years" is a very realistic song dealing with an issue that is often overlooked, rape, and how people deal with it. "Inside Us All" is the perfect ending to this cd, it is a very inspirational and positive song, but it left me wanting more! I've had this cd since the day it came out, I won it over the radio, but I bought two more copies, because it's addicting:) I recommend this strongly to people who have MOP, as well as those who don't! I am happy to say that Creed hasn't changed their sound, like most popular bands do in order to stay at #1 My only complaint would be, it needed to be longer! I'm anxiously awaiting the next album! BUY IT! YOU WON'T BE DISAPPOINTED:)

5.0 out of 5 stars Creed is better than ever in Human Clay., February 10, 2000
"howitzer" (Vancouver, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Human Clay (Audio CD)
Yes, that's right. Creed's follow up to thier debut album My Own Prison couldn't have been better. What makes this CD so great is basically they put all the elements a succesful rock band should have. Sometimes crunchy, sometimes smooth guitar playing,thick bass,hard drums, and most important pure heart felt emotional vocals. There are definately highlights on the album like "Higher", "Faceless Man", and "Never Die". However the entire album is very listenable. Another question that often comes about from Christians like myself is...."Can or should Christians listen to it?" My answer is they SHOULD listen to it. The lyrics are excellent, Scott Stapp's song writing is artistic to say the least. In a day in age where many talentless bands get so much hype...Creed is a band that has been hyped...yet they deserve it. Go buy this CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars The future CAN'T be as hard as the past !, November 23, 1999
This review is from: Human Clay (Audio CD)
Creed is flying with the release Human Clay. In our own lives, we are all to be molded by God, and Higher is just the song to remind us of that. Grunge is back and this album is confirmation. Scott puts his heart and soul into every song and it shows. Buy this cd and crank it!

5.0 out of 5 stars "What if your words could be judged like a crime?", October 25, 2006
This review is from: Human Clay (Audio CD)
Creed is(or was) one of the most loathed mainstream rock bands in recent memory, and I never truly figured out why that was. Granted I only own Human Clay, and have only heard the singles from My Own Prison and Weathered. My brother bought Human Clay around the time it came out, and we almost listened the disc into little plastic particles! Of course, I was only about 12 at the time, so I couldn't fully appreciate the album as much as others could, lyrically speaking. Well, about 6 months ago, I was getting ready to move, and I found a "weathered" jewel case sitting somewhere in a dusty old box. I popped it in, and all the memories came flooding back to me, I felt like I was twelve again. I swear I've listened to it another 50 times since I rediscovered it.

Human Clay is one of the better rock records of the last 10 years. Mark Tremonti's awesome lead guitar coupled with Scott Stapp's Vedderesc agressiveness are the two most immediate aspects of the record. These guys are definitely a step up from most of the mainstream crop, and the record hasn't aged one bit, it sounds like it could've come out just yesterday. There aren't any weak songs on Human Clay, per se, although to get the weakest out of the way: "Wrong Way"...............And that's about it. Other than that the only thing that bothers me about Human Clay is the fact that there are two versions of "With Arms Wide Open", which I find sort of needless. Now that the negatives are out of the way, we'll get to where Human Clay Excels. The Opening track, "Are You Ready", definitley sets the tone for what's to come. Notable are the agressive vocal thrashes accompied by melodic guitar riffs, though neither seem to dominate eachother. The production quality on Human Clay is fantastic, though I'd have liked it if there were a few more songs on the album. It kinda ends before you'd hoped it would, with barely over an hour of music(including the "With Arms Wide Open" repeat). This is the average as I understand it, but maybe more and more bands are putting more than 10 songs on their records these days, and maybe that's spoiled me.

The best songs on Human Clay are definitely: "What If", "Higher", and "Faceless Man". Those are by far the ones I listen to the most, although I rarely if ever skip by any songs on the record, other than "Wrong Way".

There is a theory that different people hear the same music differently from eachother, and I think because of this band's popularity, it's created this massive debate. Don't debate, just enjoy this or something else. But please, if you haven't given Creed a shot yet, I can definitely recommend Human Clay to you.

Human Clay
Human Clay by Creed (Audio CD - 1999)