5.0 out of 5 stars Great book. Great overview
Published on October 16, 2009 by Michael Schuyler

3.0 out of 5 stars A good book to start the subject
A good entry level book. Illustrations are fair but photography is quite poor. The writing stile continuously reminds you this is a textbook. The fifth edition needs updating, no word about Homo floresiensis. All in all though a good quick reference book to keep handy.
Published on June 2, 2009 by Frank J. Pignataro

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book. Great overview, October 16, 2009
Michael Schuyler (Bainbridge Island) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Human Evolution: An Illustrated Introduction (Paperback)
I am an anthro grad and felt I needed an update, having been away from the field for some time. This is a great overview of current thinking in the field. Terminology has changed. New concepts have evolved. It's just what I wanted. I don't know WHY hominids are now hominins, but the author almost apologetically informs me that's the way it is, so I've got to change. OK, if I have to, I guess.

I'm somewhat dumbfounded by these other reviews. I can't imagine why Roten calls this book awful. In what way? The writing is clear. It's not the least bit boring, and he doesn't overwhelm you with arcane detail. If you want a popularist treatment of the subject, go for it. You can always read a Donald Johansen book and listen to him brag about himself. This book isn't out to entertain you, but to inform you. I read half of this on an airplane and was captivated.

Another three-star review says he is continually reminded this is a textbook. Well, duh! It IS a textbook used, among other places, at Oxford. And there's nothing at all wrong or poor about the pictures or illustrations. They are very helpful.

And, no, it doesn't have Homo florensis. That was only first detailed in late 2004. This book came out in 2005, so the text must have been finished prior. There is no way it could have included florensis. It is updated every five years and is in its fifth edition. I'm sure the author will include florensis next time. Be patient. Florensis isn't such a big deal anyway. Most anthropologists think it is an island-isolated erectus anyway. It doesn't 're-write' paleontology. Oh, wait! The news stories say it did!

My only mild criticism of the book is that it is too short with too little detail. But for what it is and what it is intended to be, it's great! Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the book...for an introduction to the subject., June 17, 2011
This review is from: Human Evolution: An Illustrated Introduction (Paperback)
I'm no anthropologist, but I have spent the past decade or so studying science. Recently, my interests have turned to biological anthropology and I have been building a library of books. This is one of my favorites! The text is easy to read and the pictures and diagrams are good. As an educator, I am always looking for more resources to supplement the texts that I adopt for my classes. This is a great reference and easy read for an introductory class. Where more detailed information is lacking, I just beef it up with materials from my other books. I only wish that I had an electronic copy!

5.0 out of 5 stars A suitable background to "postcontroversial" issues, March 2, 2000
This book deserves its description as introductory,and therefore it shouldn't be confused with more advanced works,but within the outlined scope a very outstanding quality has been reached in elaboration of highly particular issues which are of crucial relevance for gaining threedimensional perspective-spatial,temporal and causal-not only in classical introductory remarks that are to be found in similar books,but also in succesfull blending of these with wealth of theoretical insights into evolutionary process and biocultural adaptation.Bibliographic entries are few,provided with each chapter,but this is not deficit for such brief book.Highly recomendable for primary knowledge of evolution-it is neither too simplistic,and also not too elitistic.

3.0 out of 5 stars A good book to start the subject, June 2, 2009

1.0 out of 5 stars awful awful awful awful, December 3, 2007
K. Roten ""Awesome"" (The United States of America) - See all my reviews
This book is so bad that I want to burn it instead of selling it back for mad cash. It is and extremely difficult to follow reference on subject matter that is already difficult enough. The only redeeming factor is the pictures, some of which are very amusing. However, nothing can save this book, as it might be the worst thing ever written. If I could give it zero stars I would do that.

Human Evolution: An Illustrated Introduction
Human Evolution: An Illustrated Introduction by Roger Lewin (Paperback - September 17, 2004)
$87.95 $83.55