4.0 out of 5 stars A Fine Yet Uncharacteristic Offering, October 30, 2001
This review is from: Human Soul (Audio CD)
One of my favorite Graham Parker albums. I especially enjoy the suite of short, topical songs that all blend together: "Everything Goes/Sugar Gives You Energy/Daddy's A Postman/Green Monkeys". "Big Man On Paper" is one of his most touching songs. This is the most pop album Graham has ever made, but for a power pop fan such as myself, that's great. Another GP album that didn't really get the attention it deserved.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the greatest "albums" ever by anyone., October 21, 2004
This review is from: Human Soul (Audio CD)
This is one of the CDs that I have played most in my life. A perfect mix of Chairman Parker's wit (caustic and otherwise), sing-along melody, empathy, love, soul.

4.0 out of 5 stars Two sides, March 7, 2000
This review is from: Human Soul (Audio CD)
Paul Campbell of New Jersey says it all. The first `side` (Little Miss Understanding to Soultime) are reminiscent of his first three albums when he had a more soul influence (Human Soul,y`see) delivered with great Muscle Shoals type production, crisp and molten, an arc of tuneful sweet songs; Call Me Your Doctor has a fantastic fade-out and a wicked,tight groove while Dancing For Money,like a lot of his songs,sounds instantly familiar with a classic feel and ringing Seventies guitar of the George Harrison/English softrock mould. That promises well; feel,groove and tune...but then on `side two` he decided to actually make big social comment away from his loved one,and comes unstuck; songs about AIDS,schoolgirl murders,empty consumerism, capitalist exploitation,and his own rockstar difficulties only deliver a scattering of good tunes;`Daddy`s A Postman` is full of hooks,turns,snapping guitars and keening vocals and for a Brit startlingly American power-pop. Everything Goes with a few changes could almost be an REM pop song and I Was Wrong has the great line we should all identify with `I thought I was someone special in another life/they gave me my fifteen minutes,then they pulled the knife`. But these are all one-minute long and blend into each other in a suite of songs...I mean,why? The full songs after that `suite`, You Got The World and Slash and Burn are very familiar-sounding (the former borrows a similar tune to his earlier `Love Without Greed` and Slash and Burn is a Parker rocker by rote). If the momentum of the first five songs had been continued and `Daddy`s A Postman` and `Everything Goes` extended and made into something personal we would probably be talking Parker`s best album ever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost as classic as his first two, February 9, 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Human Soul (Audio CD)
The first half of this disc offers a soulful kick (think Steve Cropper's licks and Memphis Horns melding with Elvis Costello's lyrical bite), then Parker ruminates about the world over the rest of the tunes. Nearly every cut here is strong. These are tunes you instantly feel that you've heard before because they have such strong grooves and finely wrought lyrics. It's unfortunate that Parker has been largely ignored, as have so many of the best pop/rock songwriters over the past decade.

5.0 out of 5 stars Maybe even his best?, July 11, 2006
This review is from: Human Soul (Audio CD)
Graham's had a great career and I honestly think this may be the highlight of it. The meeting of pub-rock and pop-songwriting on this album is fantastic. The only track that is weak is Soul Time. I want to like that track as much as the rest (I love reggae) but it's hindered by dated backing vocals: women too loud in the mix dripping with reverb.

4.0 out of 5 stars Power Soul and Surreality, October 24, 1999
This review is from: Human Soul (Audio CD)
This disc is really two sets.
The first half of the disc - and I miss saying Side 1 - are note-for-note so of GP's most solid writing. Great pop tunes from the anti-pop himself - especially Little Miss Understanding, My Love's Strong, Call Me Your Doctor, and Dancing For Money.
The second half (the surreal side) is one long is a hodge-podge of short, short songs woven together dealing with the headlines, AIDS, et. al. It won't appeal to everyone all the time. The only weak track in this group is I Was Wrong.
I think if the momentum of the first six or seven tracks had been carried though to the whole disc, it could have bene big. But, that, in a nutshell, is a summary of GP's often brilliant career.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nuggets..., November 10, 2006
D. Klug (Northern Virginia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Human Soul (Audio CD)
One GP record that I think a lot of fans failed to capture...their loss. Some classic GP here and I highly recommend it.

Dave

Human Soul
Human Soul by Graham Parker (Audio CD - 1989)
Rate and Discover Movies