Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Look Park Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Edition: B&W, Dual Beam Sonar 1000W|Change
Price:$439.99 - $499.95

on January 5, 2011
I took this out while fishing with a friend who had a perminently installed unit.
For the most part it picked up the same info. It's a nice little portable unit with adequate performance. It does not float and the life jacket for it is pricey. Now to get the fish to bite.
on July 19, 2014
I took the Humminbird Fishing Buddy to a NYC watershed this past week and used to for the first time. It was great. The reservoir I fished ran deep (180 max) with several sharp drop-offs, so I figured it would be a good test of the fish finder's ability. Clamping it on to the canoe took 3/4 minutes and was simple. The transducer and screen module slip right in and out of the clamp which was great for approaching shallow water (popped it out and tossed it in the canoe). It took me an hour to learn how to use it correctly. We were drift fishing and at first I tried to catch fish directly under the canoe, which didn't work because of the drift. I then realized that I should have my bait drift trolling 30 feet behind the boat so I could adjust the depth of the line/bait to match the depth of the fish as I saw them. I used depth hunter color coded line (different color every 25 feet) tied onto a good leader so I knew exactly how deep my bait was. It worked beautifully. My buddy hauled in 2 gorgeous 20 and 22 inch brown trout and I got a 16 and 18 inch brown trout and a 18 inch smallmouth using this technique. I just bought a drift anchor so I can drastically slow down the canoe in current/wind and fish directly beneath the boat using the fish finder (jigging for summer lake trout in the Adirondacks next week). The readouts on the screen were crystal clear and marked small, medium and large fish at their exact depth. Most importantly, I was able to see where in the water column the fish were holding, which is important as their depth changes day to day with the weather, barometric pressure and temperature.
The only drawback was that when paddling at a moderate rate the fish finder (with the transduce rod in the water about a foot and 1/2) began shaking like crazy, so, any time the boat picked up speed I had no pop the transducer out and put it in the canoe.

Suggestions:1. Use color coded depth line. Without it, even though you know where the fish are, the depth your lure/bait is at might not be near the fish. 2. I bought a 25 dollar c-clamp Eagle Claw rod holder on amazon. It's awesome to use with the fish finder for drifting/trolling.

Overall, this thing is great. Buy it! For the price, it drastically enhances your fishing and is easy to use.
on September 14, 2014
Been using this bad boy on rechargebles. 3 outings for 5-6 hours each time on the lake and still no need to charge. Sips on battery usage.
I mount this on my porta bote (folding boat 12') and it locates fish very well. It tells you the temperature and depth which are quite essential to a fisherman. I love the side scan. Adds a whole new dimension to casting where the fish are. However, catching those fishes is a whole different story. I research all other fish finders and this one was my choice and no regrets.
on October 2, 2013
i bought this thing for its sheer portability so that i have a unit that i can bring onto both my canoe and for ice-fishing (yet to be tried as the lakes haven't frozen yet) and it works as advertized. it marks fish in both the wide beam and the side finder, a feature i'm fairly new with, but i did prove its promises by using it to watch a turtle surface and even a few sunny's when i was playing around with it for the first time. after reading through all of the reviews, i can say with some certainty that anyone that ratted this at less than 3 stars, probably either doesn't understand how they work, had their sensitivity to high, received a faulty product, or doesn't quite understand that they can lead a man to fish, but it can't make them bite....
the only downfall with this unit is that i can't use it to troll at speed. this unit is meant for stationary, or slow drifting applications like canoes and kayaks or ice fishing. if your buying it for your motor boat, you will not be satisfied as the unit will start to bounce and oscillate in its mount at any more than a fast jogging pace.but it easily pops in and out when you want to move around well enough. all in all a really good investment, and i can't wait to get back out there!
tight lines!
on April 18, 2010
I use the Hummingbird 140c on my canoe and it works great. Portable easy to use and with some basic knowledge and understanding of how fish finders are used greatly increases your chance for success on the water. Today I located a weed line oblivious to the surface of the water that drops off from 3' to 10' loaded with crappie bass and northern pike. I would have never been able to locate that spot without the use of the Hummingbird 140c. It is an asset that I greatly appreciate on my boat. I have used it in torrential downpour of rain with no negative effects from being wet. I use lithium batteries which last a vary long time, well worth the extra cost for the lithium batteries. I also really enjoy the color screen. I have a small portable GPS I use in conjunction with my Hummingbird 140c to mark known areas of interest and mark where I catch fish turning my simple canoe into a sophisticated fishing vessel.
on April 3, 2014
I bought this to use in a Jon boat. Do not buy and expect to use it in a powered boat, too flimsy. I used mine twice last year and it worked fine. The rest of the time it was stored at home. I took it out this year to survey a small pond, from a canoe. Turned it on, it blinked and went off. Changed the batteries, same thing happened. No problem, I thought, just call the company and they will make it right. Wrong. Since it's just out of warranty the small fee to repair will be $185.45 plus shipping to them. My unit looks perfect, not a blemish, and only used twice. No matter, same fee. I am in the market for a new finder, but not from these guys. You have been warned. Read closely the real reviews of this piece of trash before you buy!
on February 23, 2015
This device has probably helped me double my catch rate and also have more fun. Even if it didn't show the fish it would be useful for depth and temperature of the water. With the fish finder, however, you almost always know if there are fish around and therefore where to concentrate your time and effort. I have mounted it on both my float tube and pontoon boat.

I feel like the side sensor is less useful than the vertical one. It seems like whenever I spot fish using the vertical probe I will be catching them shortly. With the side probe I often spot fish, but don't necessarily get grabs. Maybe that's because the side sensor detects fish near the surface and if those fish were eating with any enthusiasm, you could probably see evidence of them feeding as in rises or swirls. BTW, I've only used this for trout, but am going to give the bass a shot this spring.

I might add that every so often the software gets glitch and then I just power cycle it and all is well.
on July 30, 2012
This detector has the advantage that you can easily move it from boat to boat. If you fish with different people, and like to see the structure over which you are fishing, this detector is a decent purchase. It is adequate as far as detail, showing bottom contour, probable fish in the area, water temperatures, etc. There are options in the settings, and a side view feature which has some marginal value as well. There is a minimum depth alarm setting which I found valuable while in Canada trolling for lake trout. If you fish with a buddy and cannot see structure from his/her electronics, this is a nice fishing tool to acquire, if you have the resources.

Disadvantages: You can use this detector at low or no speed only. Do not leave it in place while motoring to other spots. You cannot read the lake bottom as you travel, and you may lose the unit because it is not designed to withstand travel at higher speeds. Additionally, the batteries (8 of them) must be fully potent or the detector will malfunction. One weak battery renders this unit inoperable. Carry extra fully changed batteries if you intend to fish an entire day.

The learning curve is brief, and this detector does what it needs to do for a fisherman. There are battery and mobility issues that need to be resolved.
on October 6, 2013
There have been no issues with the Fishfinder and the battery life is unbelievable. It is accurate, easy to read and has become an added factor for catching more fish. Almost feel it is too easy to find fish.
on March 28, 2011
I would like to say that this product is really great. I received this as a birthday gift. For all those who are checking out this review know that this product is good for identifying where fish are. If you can catch that's left up to you and your fisherman skills;). Best of luck with all future purchases and remember to take a kid fishing this year.

Sincerely,