5.0 out of 5 stars Great device for learning to fish
Published on January 7, 2005 by Jesse Skeens

1.0 out of 5 stars Floating transmitter has extremely short battery life.
The first day I used the RF-35 unit, I was very happy with it. It was accurate on the depth and water temperature. I used it from my fishing kayak and when the fish alarm sounded I immediately cast and pulled up a crappie. They swim in schools and I was thrilled that it worked.

Published on June 11, 2009 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Great device for learning to fish, January 7, 2005
Got this as a gift for Christmas when I was shopping with the wife at BassPro here in Orlando. I had been researching these units for a few days after reading about one online. The fact that I could cast out from the shore appealed to me so I chose one of the smartcast models. BassPro had the RF10 on sale and the R15 was the price I had expected the R10 to be so I went with the R15. It includes grey scale and water temp as part of the upgrades from the R10 series.

Over the past two weeks I've taken the R15 out to 4-5 lakes around my area to test it out. Provided I do a nice steady retrive a smooth display of the bottom is presented. I have also seen a fair amount of fish on the display using the Fish ID function. From what I have read on various newgroup posts this feature should generaly be turned OFF. Instead one is supposed to learn how to identify fish using "raw" sonar returns. So far I have not seen any "fish arches". I have a feeling I might need to be in deeper water for this to occur.

Overall the detail is nice and there are four options for displaying the 4 gradations of grey in ordet to highlight either weak or strong returns. One of the limilations of using this near the shore is that is does not do well with shallow depths. It lists 2 feet as the minumum but even depths of 3 feet and a bit more seem to confuse it, giving false returns. I have not tested its actual ability to recognize a return as a fish yet. I say this becuase so far I have not taken my tackle out, just the fishfinder in order to concentrate on learning it. I think I will try adding some bait to a line and attaching this to the small hole provided on the bottom of the RSS to see if it will show any fishing coming up to check it out.

I have had the unit lock up here and there, but unpluging the power cable and reinserting it and then turning on the unit again seems to have solved it. The other day I was getting some weird temp readings, it went from 40F and then back to the correct temp of 71F a few times. I also expienced an anomoly with the display. When set to "Black" mode for bottom detail the unit was only displaying 10H/6V pixels of resolution. Not sure what was up with that and I haven't tested it since then. Perhaps its a battery thing.

Overall I'm really happy with the unit. Sure is nice to be able to see contours of a lake as well as know if fish are in the area. Although the Fish ID might not be perfect you at least know that if nothing is showing on the screen at all to move somewhere else so as to not waste time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, March 13, 2011
I'll tell you i did alot of research on this product before i finally decided to buy it, You know how you can always get caught up in the hype of good reviews and bad reviews. which in a lot of cases can sway your decision on buying a certain product. Well I bought it, ive taken it out on 3 fishing trips so far. all freshwater lakes. i dont have a boat so im always hoofing it along the shoreline carrying my 3 poles and backpack full of tackle. if this sounds like you, then i highly recommend you get yourself one of these. We all know when your at a lake and you cant just cruise around in the middle it can be hard to find that perfect spot where the fish are. this thing has helped me in that. no longer do i have to move around all over and still have nothin to show for it. this allows you to at least find those underwater ditches or deep cover that you can never normally see. you can fish everywhere on a lake all day and by the time you get to your new spot the fish have already moved.I got my package and there was nothing wrong with the RSS or the fishfinder unit. it mounts great to the fishing rod and ive had no problems with the unit dieng or rusting or screen cracks. nothing. i wanted to submit this review because i know what a negative affect negative reviews can cause. so please. if your interested in buying this. i suggest you do so. a must for the shore tracker. good fishing!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for the price, June 26, 2008
I've now had this little guy for a year and with the exception of the green transducer dying in the first week (replaced immediately by Humminbird), it works like a charm. It's been in both frest and salt water repeatedly without a hiccup. I've had it in as much as 60 feet with fairly good resolution, discerning between weeds, rocks and fish
well for the price. Great little unit for the money, for sure-especially if you have a kayak like me. You won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little fish finder, May 12, 2012
This review is from: Humminbird SmartCast RF35 Wrist Mount Waterproof Fishfinder (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
Have had this for about a week and took it out a couple of times.
As other reviewers have commented, it works quite well. After messing with it, I can't imagine fishing without one. Knowing where the fish are and are not is invaluable. Of course it can't tell if they're biting !

A few observations to add to the already good reviews of this product:

1) The RF45 "rubber ducky" unit that you cast into the water is smaller than I expected, but that's good. It is light and casts well.
2) The display you wear on your wrist is a somewhat large, and thick, watch. This is fine. The resolution was good enough to see what needs to be seen, and lack of greyscale does not seem to compromise the utility.
3) The user manual is very well written, but as you might expect for something with few buttons, it takes some study to understand what you've bought. The operation of the watch-unit took a while to learn initially, but is straighforward after you use it a couple times. (It has defaults, so you can probably just use it if you don't want to study the manual...)
4) The RF45 rubber-ducky seems faily durable. I actually dropped mine on the concrete and it bounced and survived. But I don't recommend repeating this experiment.
5) The display unit I got had a bit of a manufacturing quality-control issue. All the pixels were quite dark, requiring me to find the part of the manual that explains how to adjust the LCD contrast. After setting it on the lowest setting (1, rather than the default of 5) it seems to work fine - but I wish I could adjust it even lower.
6) While not needed, "programming" the RF45 rubber-ducky (if you want to switch channels, turn on the light, etc) is a bit cumbersome, and can't be done without the manual. Moreover, I have to wonder if some reviews that said the thing stopped working might have been because the RF45 got "reprogrammed" to channel B without the user knowing it? (You wet your finger and tap two or 3 times, etc to program which sounds like a recipe for trouble with random wetting events that could happen at some point as folks handle the unit)
7) The wrist unit claims to run for 40 hours on the battery, so having extra batteries is probably a good idea (it includes an extra one in the package - but I bought 5 more for about 6 dollars)
8) The RF45 rubber-ducky has a non-replaceable battery. It claims to run for 500 hours, but you should probably be careful how you store it when not in use to make sure it doesn't run down the battery (keep it dry, etc). I bought an extra to have as a backup (for about 25 bucks). Shelf-life claims to be 3 years.

So - how does it work? In a word - GREAT. No complaints. It has been great fun measuring the lake-bottom depth and contour and the alarm is pretty cool when fish swim by.

The wireless sender worked well when I cast it from the pier (range was fine for the wireless), but it did lose the signal once when I was trolling it behind my inflatable boat. BUT - this is a difficult situation for the wireless system to handle as the RF45 antenna was partly/mostly submerged due to the boat movement and my wrist was only about a foot off the water. As long as your wrist is not close to the water, it seems to be fine.

Bottom line - get one and try it !

1.0 out of 5 stars Floating transmitter has extremely short battery life., June 11, 2009
Amazon Customer (New York City suburbs.) - See all my reviews

On my second kayak fishing outing a couple of days later, the watch receiver kept saying "no signal". I made sure I was using the correct channel, the distance wasn't too far, etc. It turned out the transmitters battery was dead. I had a second transmitter with me (the RF-45) and that one gave me a signal, but its non-replaceable battery also died by the end of the day. At $25 per RF-45 transmitter unit, I realized it was cheaper to buy the Norcross Hawkeye F33P Fish Finder that I can use with rechargeable triple-A batteries Norcross Hawkeye F33P Fish Finder. I have used the Norcross only once so far and am happy with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME, June 29, 2009
WORKS AS SPECIFIED I HAVE USED IT 6 TIMES NOW AND HAVE HAD NO PROBLEM WOULD DIFFERENTLY RECOMEND THIS FOR THE SHORELINE ANGLER IT IS EASY TO READ AND USE JUST MAKE SURE YOU SHUT IT OFF AND YOU SHOULD HAVE NO PROBLEMS LIKE OTHER PEOPLE HAVE SPECIFIED DEFINTLY LIVES UP TO THE HELP ANF THE SHIPPING WAS GREAT

5.0 out of 5 stars Beginner's Luck, July 11, 2008
This nifty little gadget won't win you the bass tournament, but for a casual fisherman, it works really well. Watch is comfortable, and so far has been pretty accurate. Thanks Humminbird.

2.0 out of 5 stars Eats Batteries!, May 7, 2008
Well I've used this thing. As a depth finder it works well. As a fish finder I found it useless. It confuses weeds with fish, and as a test I used the finder as a bobber (you can do that!) with a worm hanging about six feet below it. A fish was yanking on the line, but the finder never saw a thing!

The batteries are expensive and it will burn through one in a day of fishing.

I'm going to give the Norcross Hawkeye FF3355P a try, see if it works any better.

1.0 out of 5 stars Non functional out of box and with second seperate purchased Bobber., August 30, 2012
Well I would love to tell you that this little sonar unit works great and is just what the Dr. ordered for all of us shore fisherman who are tired of guessing what lies beneath the murky surface but I can't.
The RF25 unit that I received from Amazon did not give me any depth readings out of the box. I tested it in a 10ft deep pool and all it would tell me was the water temp. So I called Hummingbird for help; their solution to the problem was to send me another RF45 bobber to see if that is the problem. That sounded good to me till they told me that the bobbers where on back order. They did not tell me for how long. Come to find out 2 days later when I called to check my order that the estimated date of shipping was 15 days from now. REALLY?! I told the CSR that on your website Hummingbird.com it shows the RF45 bobbers as IN STOCK! His answer was that the website store is not run by them and that they are separate from the store, they just supply the store. The CSR said he was sorry, and did not offer anything other solution than to wait, I told him I understand his sorry but "sorry" does not help me in the least.
***UPDATE**** 9/6/2012
I purchased from Amazon a spare RF45 bobber to trouble shoot my RF25 unit myself. The new bobber gave me less than a dozen casts of proper function before it stopped sending info and all I was left with was a WAITING FOR SIGNAL message on the screen. Not a good Second impression from Hummingbirds product(s)
***FINAL UPDATE*****
Returned unit to Amazon as Manufacture was ZERO help. They finally got back to me only to tell me, give us a credit card and well send you a replacement. Really? Pass I understand what they are doing but at the same time their product is junk so I just sent it back. Wash my hands of it and move on. Wish it would have worked right definitely not worth the hassle. Take a pass on this one folks.

5.0 out of 5 stars smartcast hummingbird rf15, September 10, 2010
The smartcast hummingbird rf15 has proven itself as a valuable tool for both fishing from shore and on a boat. It's effective allowing adequate information for casts in that new area. I have been able to target depths where the fish are suspended easily with this. NO more testing and re testing with your slip bobber. Use the rf15 to learn about depth and water temps while determining if your new spot is adequate to fish. I decided on the rf15 since it shows the depth of the fish on the finder easier then the other models.