4.0 out of 5 stars Vivid and Surreal
Published on June 26, 2009 by Lesa Bass

1.0 out of 5 stars disappointed
Published 9 months ago by Hank Williams

4.0 out of 5 stars Vivid and Surreal, June 26, 2009
This review is from: Humongous Thailand Giant Elephant Ear Plant - Colocasia - 4" Pot
LOVE THIS PLANT!!! Living in Houston, mine have not only gotten to rain forest sizes, they are producing new bulbs that can be moved and my yard looks like a paradise!!! Note-I knock off a star only because one was mislabeled as a Borneo, (I had ordered one of each)and kind of fooled with my landscape plan, but they are healthy and impressive. Dies back a bit each winter, but once they have reached a good size and have established roots, they come back quickly and even more significantly each spring! Well, from a HOUSTON winter they recover nicely... :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the work, December 28, 2013
These are a tropical plant. Colocasia like 'wet toes' and are 'voracious eaters'. The picture with the fellow standing in it is possible, but I will say mine is potted and is more like 2-3' plus long leaves, held vertically, a few splay over. I have seen ones that big with lots of compost and in a gulf/tropical climate (over about a 10a).

The blooms as shown are about 4" long, don't really smell much, and last a few days then flop and take about a week to being ready to harvest. The one I got I started from a softball sized corm; it is currently in a 16" pot and stands about 7' high. It keeps 4-5 leaves at all times and the leaves last for some months. It has put on a side shoot that's about 2' tall and I need to divide it. It also bloomed and I harvested the berries after the bloom fell over; squished to pip out 1-2 seeds each and immediately planted them into moist soilless mix then covered them for humidity. They sprouted, I got 13 of 17... and are currently in 6" pots and 8-12" high. (the pulp and that are somewhat toxic, make sure pets and kids can't get into either)

Colos like it wet usually, though I found the established plant doesn't want to stand in water. I water by putting 2" in the catch saucer every 3 days or so and a cup or so dumped on top the soil, it then sucks up the water happily. I fertilize every third time with two cups of humic soluable fertilizer mix, mixed up and shook before measuring. I have seen pictures of leaves fully 6 1/2' long and 5' wide, they planted it directly in a finished compost pile. Mine spent the summer in a shade cloth growing house outside with night getting down to 50-65 and day going 85-100 under 60% shade, and loved it. It got some wind but it was mostly sheltered and the screen house helped diffuse the wind as well. It is now in greenhouse space for the winter-spouse is allergic-no houseplants allowed any more.

These plants will briefly and infrequently tolerate upper 40's but by then I moved it inside. Can get these little black aphidy looking things about flyspeck size, easily cleaned by hand (yes, mush with your fingers or take a damp paper towel and wipe the stems off). Holes or breaks/damage to the leaves can draw mealybugs right at the damage spot! Because of the temperature, I wouldn't order this until you are seeing your night-times in the upper 40's to low 50's pretty reliably and when you start seeing cold spiking into 40s at night in the fall, again don't order.

I consider this a very fair weather plant; instead of letting it go dormant I am keeping it as a year round plant; and it does have an issue of SIZE. Other than that I have had much fussier houseplants. After one year I now have them coming out of my... and the coming year definitely plan to add them to my landscape in shady wind protected places (we have issues with heat, low humidity, brutal sun, and lots of wind) and will continue to grow them as a cool plant. The leaves are BIG, distinctive, held mostly upright and make a great statement. Compared to my other Taro, this has the biggest flattest leaves, and the sturdiest stalks.

When you get one of these, they should be immediately potted up into a 6" or 8" pot and held in bright light and at least 70f if you can manage it (at night too) for a few weeks (no direct sun unless within 3 hours of sundown), don't let it get over about 85f; and let it recover from shipping. Bottom water every few days; if you get tips of the oldest leaves going brown/dead/crispy it's too dry! Aim for nicely moist without soggy. Then if you're putting it outside start hardening it off for a few weeks. Suggest a shady spot with wind protection and good drainage. As it gets bigger each new leaf will get larger than the last, and it quickly goes to looking like the picture!

I love Thai Giant, it looks so tropical and lovely, it's worth the bit of extra work to me.

2/5/14 adding a slightly blurred but good picture of relative size of my winter leaves. Plant is in 14" pot and stands over my head in pot; always has 4-5 leaves flat and out; and it has a baby about 2' tall that needs to be divided off. The seeds, I got 13/17 to germ and lost a few along the way, all the babies are in 6" pots and some are making a foot tall now and biggest leaf is about 3-4' long (8 made it to quarter size leaves and strongly 4" tall), in 5 months. By May they should be in 8-10" pots and tall enough to be adopted out, by fall they should be nearing adult size.

1.0 out of 5 stars disappointed, December 27, 2013
I hope it survives. The product said it would come in a 4 inch pot. But yet it was crammed into a post office flat rate box with no pot. Instead the roots were in a FROZEN paper towel. Two of the stems were pinched/broken. I was excited to get this plant now I'm just hoping the little guy make it. I feel bad bashing this product, but it is not professional the way this transaction was handled

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional!, September 20, 2012
This plant even out-performed my expectations! Mine looks just like the one shown in photo. I measured a leaf yesterday and it measured 55 1/2" long! Base to tip. The entire plant is at least 6' tall. I have had people come over just to see my elephant ears!

It faces a southwesterly direction but gets part shade from a large tree just to the west of it. I did water it daily via sprinkler.

VERY pleased--intend to shop at Hirt's gardens again!

5.0 out of 5 stars It is a beautiful plant...its leaves are growing so fast, April 24, 2012
It is a beautiful plant...its leaves are growing so fast. I have tried buying this plant at other places they either died or sent me the wrong one. I would buy from here again my plant is absolutley gorgeous.

5.0 out of 5 stars surprise, July 19, 2010
I thought i was getting a persian palm, but its i think its this thailand plant. I live in western PA, and our summer has been steamy and this thing is HUGE. Very impressive, unfortunatly i have to dig it up and bring it in for the fall and winter. I hope it survives. Cant wait to see the size of this thing at the end of Sept.

1.0 out of 5 stars It arrived in freezing weather., March 12, 2014
The cold weather killed it. I have dealt with many catalog plant companies and they all send their products at the proper planting time for my temperature zone.

4.0 out of 5 stars elephant ear, January 4, 2014
small plants living in filtered sun/shade progressing nicely
beautiful plants highly recommended, will grow in more sunlight as they grow

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this plant!!!!, September 30, 2013
When I received mine, I thought they were a little on the small side. But boy, it has gone bonkers! I didn't expect it to get SOOO BIG in such a short amount of time! I received mine in late summer/early fall, not exactly the right time to plant a tropical plant like this. So I put it in about 5 gallon pot thinking I would bring it inside before the frost came. One of the leaves got burnt or it may have been on the way out, regardless that had no affect on it. I brought it inside, put it in a sunny window and watered it weekly. It kept growing! Slowly, but it was growing! If one of the ears got in the way, I would cut it off. My main idea was to keep the corm(bulb) from freezing. The corm is where the life is, I kept that healthy and the plant has done great! It got a little leggy when it was inside, but that was ok. Because when spring came around, I put it outside in a part shady spot, and before summer started I had to put it in a bigger pot!!!
What is really funny is how small it was starting out. It got so big so quick! What I have learned about these ears, is exactly how hardy they are. They seem to be very hardy and LOVE water and fertilizer. They don't like the cold, meaning, anything below 50 degrees and it didn't seem to grow, but stayed alive.

I love this plant!! I now have that big pot on my back patio with a drip irrigation 2gph daily and it is the talk of the party!! I don't like to toot my own horn in public, so I'll do it here! I get asked where I got it, I tell them I went to Thailand to get it!
I came back to buy more of these plants for a few relatives, thanks so much, they are so hard to find. I'm glad you still have them!

5.0 out of 5 stars Thai Giant Colocasia, June 20, 2012
Received plants on time. Plants were healthy. Planted in location with morning sun and filtered afternoon shade (located in Texas so afternoon shade is important). Thai giants have grown vigorously and after one month have 4-5 leaves about 12" tall. Installed drip irrigation system and added Epsom salt and Ironite to fertilizer mix. Very happy with my purchase.