Published 15 months ago by Robin Lee

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what i was expecting
I didn't find thing book interesting and kept reading it hoping that it would get better. It never did. there was way too much time spent on the characters and their little antics. This is ok for a little while but it went on forever. The mystery of the killer and solving the crimes was a background thing. I also hated the name of one of the individuals as it made for...
Published 14 months ago by DealSeeker

5.0 out of 5 stars "Excellent".......An Ending That Left Me Speechless"........., August 2, 2013
The seamless collaboration of authors' Carolyn McCray and Ben Hopkin have created another excellent psychological/thriller..This is a story with a new twisted serial killer that leaves not a drop of blood anywhere, but sometimes less is more..It added more of an element of mystery, suspense and surprises with every turn of the page..Normally with their novels you get to see more behind the scenes with a serial killer in some form..In this story you do not...All the characters in this story are portrayed more realistically and have some "serious cracks" in their own personas.. Yet, their quirky traits play off each other to add some witty humor and sarcasm to the story, which I felt you needed at times..There are some very emotional, painful and traumatic flashbacks for one of the Agents..Perfect police and FBI procedurals, though this time there is no profiler on the case..A different division of the FBI department is being used, the Behavioral Anaylysis Unit(BAU)...Which changes the the game drastically...It's an easy read, unfolds at a nice pace to introduce a whole new set of characters that I am already familiar with from the prequel, "Mary, Mary, Quite Contrary" that some readers may have missed last year..

I am a big fan of all this author's novels or short stories...So, I have been excited and waiting along time for this story..I was not disappointed and continued to read every single page all the way to an ending that was unbelievable, made me feel a little sick, and left me just as speechless as Agent Sariah Cooper..I have never read an ending to book like this ever and it's a vision that will be with me for a quite while....

"Humpty Dumpty" serial killer has been dormant for 13 years, until a body part is found by a child in a sand box at a playground in Ann Arbor, Michigan..The FBI very quickly assembles a team together..Brand new Agent Sariah Cooper, who is an intelligent, strong independent women, but ends up crying alot..Police Officer Kyle Hadderly, who is a young nerdy, Mama's boy..Ex-Agent Joshua Wright who is from the original case, and a severe alcoholic who can't go one hour without a drink because he slips into seizures..This is the odd team that's to try and stop this killer in his "tracks" before more body parts start turning up.."Humpty Dumpty" serial killer was elusive, brutal and vicious..Who had killed more than twenty men and women, hacked them to pieces and leaving their parts all over the country..Finally destroying one man and his entire family by putting them through a wood chipper, than vanished into thin air never to be heard from again until "now"...

The "question" is why has the killer become active again..The Agents' job is to solve the puzzle by connecting the trail, clues and taunts that the killer is leaving behind...

Can "All the King's horses and all the King's men" help capture "Humpty Dumpty" and put broken agent Joshua Wright's life back together again.......

5.0 out of 5 stars Humpy Dumpty.....killers on the loose!, August 2, 2013
Although I received a preview copy, I did not read this at first....I wanted to put some space between receiving the book and being able to read it unbiased. Now, I am glad I read it! It is very hard to believe that people really have such wonderful characters in their heads! The gruesome story line along with the wit and humor.....it was wonderful!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Killer book!, August 2, 2013
Come for the murder, stay for the three-dimensional, realistically fractured characters! I was lucky enough to score a free advance copy of this book, which in no way influenced my opinion or this review. Long plane rides and rainy Saturday afternoons were made for books like this. If you like your suspense with a side of gruesome and a dash of humor this is it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quirky, endearing characters fuel a thrilling mystery, August 2, 2013
I was fortunate to read a preview copy of the novel, which I'm very happy to report was my favorite McCray/Hopkin collaboration to date. The characters are quirky, but completely believable and endearing - you are really invested in what happens to them, as they are thrown into a gruesome set of murders to solve. They're unique and individual characters, while still being believable people you can relate to. (Hey, if Superman and Spiderman weren't quirky, they'd be pretty dull, right?)

If you like the novels of James Patterson, I think you'll find this an especially good adventure - it's well written, the plot moves along at a great pace, and there are plenty of unpredictable twists and turns to keep the suspense going. Reminded me ALOT of early Patterson, of which I am a great fan.

For me, a book that inspires my imagination so much that I can see the movie playing along as I go is a great read - and this definitely does that. Highly, heartily recommended for fans of murder/mystery novels, fans of James Patterson, and fans of action/mystery movies.

4.0 out of 5 stars fast paced, August 2, 2013
A serial killer is on the loose leaving a trail of body parts scattered around the country. With the help of a rookie cop who is a mama's boy and an angry ex-agent, agent Cooper is on a humorous ride to catch a killer. A fast paced story with twists and turns that will have you laughing out loud and turning pages. I really enjoyed this story but found it more of a drama/comedy than a thriller but it takes alot to scare me and that is just my opinion. I would recommend this book to anyone looking for a good read!

4.0 out of 5 stars Shocking ending, good series opener, August 2, 2013
I had an opportunity to receive a preview copy of this book, but that has not infulenced my review.

This is the first book I've read from these authors. I found the writing style and the story to be very engaging. At first I thought I wasn't going to have time to read the book, but after getting into the story I found myself making time for it.

Most of the book is about the characters that are assembling to create an FBI crime fighting team and how they learn to accept one another and work together. In that way, this definately felt like a "first of a series book." I found the characters very interesting and am looking forward to sepending more time with them in future installments.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another new series that leaves me wanting more, August 2, 2013
I am not a very patient person. I don't know why I do it to myself. When I received an advance copy of Humpty Dumpty for review I was all prepared to be disappointed. And I have to admit that I am!! Disappointed that I have to wait to read more about Joshua, Had, and Cooper. I didn't want the story to end! Again, Carolyn McCray has crafted a fine story with wonderful characters that you can't help but love even with their flaws. I especially loved Had with his boundless enthusiasm for life (too bad I don't know how to salsa! ;-)

So I find myself trying to be patient...

5.0 out of 5 stars Just when I thought the goose bumps had gone away!!, August 2, 2013
The three main characters are so "broken" you wouldn't think the story could get past the first chapters---??? WeeOoh, was I wrong thinking that way! Sariah just has to trust herself, Had needs to get a backbone, and Joshua needs everything!! But Mama is priceless! The Bad Guy is off the grid and into the wild blue yonder. The BAU division of the FBI needs the entire group to bring this culprit to justice if they can stay alive long enough.

Don't pass up reading this book. If you haven't read Mary, Mary, do so. It will set up the characters perfectly for Humpty Dumpty. The writers must work overtime to get the next installment out, because I am so anxious to "help" catch the killer!

Score another hit for McCray!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wizard of Oz meets Criminal Minds!, August 2, 2013
Liza Brings (Richmond, VA United States) - See all my reviews
Carolyn McCray's newest series, Humpty Dumpty, is as engaging and exciting as a roller coaster ride, and sincere and thoughtful as a nun. It starts with a single agent who is following a hunch, much to the dismay of her superiors. Along the way, she picks up fellow soldiers, each of which has a unique qualifying character and a quirky, entertaining personality. I loved this book - it was hilarious, tragic, scary, and endearing, all at the same time. And the deviousness of this criminal is enough to make you have nightmares! Looking forward to seeing the next step in their journeys together - and who else they might pick up to keep them company!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Read!, August 2, 2013
Humpty Dumpty is the scariest book I have read. This is a great crime book. I love the story line and where the characters go. I love Carolyn McCray writing it is the best. I highly recommend this book.

Humpty Dumpty: The killer wants us to put him back together again
Humpty Dumpty: The killer wants us to put him back together again by Carolyn McCray (Paperback - August 9, 2013)
$10.99 $9.89