Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Hungarian Rhapsody: Queen Live in Budapest [Blu-ray/2CD]
Safety Month BOTMKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: Blu-ray|Change

on September 21, 2012
I saw this on at the movie theatre last night, and WOW! I was blown away. I adore the Wembly concert, but I think this one is at least as good, and perhaps better. Freddie's voice just soars, and i love hearing his choices, to harmonize a particular line, or punch another one. He's wonderful to watch, too, of course. Seeing him singing the folk tune in context was great. The video and audio quality were fabulous.
There are cut-aways to the four of them periodically, doing interviews, publicity events, and just hanging out. It was fun to see them in those contexts, too, and added to the movie.
It's more than just a concert. It's an event.
Sometimes after a really rough day, I'll watch Wembly, just to help cheer myself up, and soon I'll have a choice. Can't wait!
Enjoy, everyone!
22 comments|61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 23, 2012
This is a terrific concert film of Queen's 1986 gig in Budapest. Although the shots/camera angles of drummer Roger Taylor onstage are frustrating during the first song or two - it's as if the camera crew struggled to get Taylor's face/head in the frame, clear of cymbals, tom-toms, etc. (Taylor is seen at better camera angles from song three or four on.) Be sure and get to the theater early (Sept. 27) or at least on time to see some 1986/85 in-studio footage and 1986-era interviews with all four members. There are at least three subtle hints by Mercury and the band during interviews that hint at Mercury's illness with HIV and, eventually, AIDs. When asked if Queen will return to Budapest to play another concert in the future, Mercury says, "Well, I'll tell you what. If I'm alive, I'll come back." Queen never did. 1986 was the last year they toured with Mercury - Mercury already was ill at the time. Another interesting comment in the film during the interview portion has Mercury saying, "I want to make sure we're healthy to go out on the road again. I don't want to just go out there and do it." There's excellent takes of "Under Pressure," "I Want to Break Free" and "It's A Kind of Magic" included in the concert portion. Actually, all of the concert footage is good, and even the two or three mistakes have charm (Mercury's voice cracks once, but hey, it's live music, and he was already feeling the effects of cigarettes and HIV by the time they hit the road in 1986.) Leaving the theater, the viewer will agree that Queen easily is among the top five rock bands of all time, and Mercury's voice, preserved on Queen's albums and in their concert films, remains music's greatest male voice ever.
55 comments|54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon November 6, 2012
I owned this on VHS and LD back in the day... so I was curious as to how it would transfer to BR... and also the 16x9 crop as both previous editions were 4x3.
RESULTS? it LOOKS GREAT!
Of course reading the liner notes in the lovely booklet enclosed reveal that this show was indeed filmed by Hungary's leading cinematographer/director who used every 35mm camera in the country and shot it on FILM not video.
As they say in the notes "This is the last complete concert shot entirely on film. So junk that old laserdisc, throw the VHS in the bin and burn the bootleg.

HIGHLY Recommended!

PS...the repurposed nearly half hour documentary is fun and I particularly enjoy the large interview chunks with the retired John Deacon.
33 comments|39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 10, 2012
This is a commanding Queen performance. The footage really captures each band member's enormous contribution to this epic concert. Freddie is in awesome form - his voice, his showmanship, his costume changes, his rapport with the audience, his bit with the flags - just all around undeniably incredible. Brian shines as usual with his tremendously talented playing and energized performance. Roger plays the drums with his intense immediacy and tenacity, thus earning the privilege of (almost) wearing Freddie's crown at the end. John's fierce performance and captivating bass lines add a complete exclamation point to the show. The personal moments with each band member throughout the performance are quite enchanting. The editing and vivid color and lighting of the footage is completely spectacular and does the concert total justice. This is indeed a very special capture of what makes Queen such an amazing, legendary band. Love it!
on August 9, 2013
You could quibble with the arrangements and longer set list of Live at Wembley, but for quality, energy, and capturing the band, this is the one. The video, audio and overall production is excellent. The Hungarian crew made this so good it looks and sounds more like 2006 than 1986. Freddie's voice this night is ON. Less self indulgent than Milton Keyes. It's a band giving to it's audience.
on November 10, 2012
The people who criticised this Blu-ray disc for not including the full show as presented on the accompanying 2-CD set(I bought the Blu-ray + 2-CD set) have failed to read the booklet. The raw, uncut camera negative no longer exists. For "Another One Bites The Dust", "Hello Mary Lou" & "(You're So Square) Baby I Don't Care" (if they were filmed), the film footage no longer exists.

My question concerns a new variation of DTS-HD Master Audio that is used on this disc. It is "DTS-HD High Res Audio". When played on my Oppo BDP-83 disc player(playing through an Integra DHC 9.9 A/V Processor), the audio is played as 4.0 audio(the subwoofer & center channel are silent). Has anyone else experienced this issue?
on December 11, 2012
Yes, please! Hungarian Rhapsody - Queen Live in Budapest may be the same songs you're used to from Queen's Live at Wembley and Live Magic albums, but it's still fantastic!

I'm a little disappointed in the actual Blu-Ray of the concert because it's actuallly missing songs that are on the CD's. Four songs to be exact - Another One Bites the Dust, Looks Like It's Gonna Be A Good Night - Improv, You're So Square (Baby I Don't Care), and Hello Mary Lou (Goodbye Heart). While the last three are reasonable losses, how on Earth can you cut Another One Bites the Dust?!?

Still, if you bought this mainly for the CD's like I did, then you're going to get your monies worth just from them, and the Blu-Ray is just an added bonus.

I really wish that Queen would release more live albums from the past. There have got to be a ton of them shelved somewhere.
VINE VOICEon January 9, 2013
As a lifelong fan of the band, I am bound to be biased in my review, but I was very excited to see a concert from the last tour in '86 (as a complete band) on Blu-Ray.
Whereas I liked Montreal, my favorite has always been the Wembley set - which is almost identical here.
The picture is as clear as I have ever seen footage of the band, and the sound was crisp.

I wasn't particularly fond of the inter cutting scenes on each band member wondering around Budapest, having a "moment".
I would have rather this had been an optional feature on the disc, not played in the middle of a song, but that's just me.
With regard to the Wembley concert Queen: Live at Wembley Stadium I live in hope that this will be given the restoration treatment and put onto Blu Ray - I'm sure it would certainly sell well.
Comparing that concert to this is not difficult, but for me the audience are flatter here, whether it's the camera work (which is great of the band) focusing on the band members more, and the crowd participation and reactions less I can't tell, but Wembley feels more immersive.

Another minor gripe, I don't know why Another One Bites the dust was left off the Blu Ray, or why Crazy little thing called love was heavily trimmed in the edit??
The impromptu bits, Brian's solo, and the very touching Hungarian song Freddie sings, are going to change depending on the location, obviously - but as for the song set, can't we have it all and complete?

Shelling out for this set will also give you two CD's of the gig, the less said about the crappy cardboard gate-fold sleeve the better.

Obviously a must for fans, for people new to Queen's music, I would recommend Wembley over this.
on August 23, 2015
Another great example of Queen in their glorious prime!
This isn't one concert shot in its entirety; instead it was put together using the footage that still existed.
Yet when you watch it, it doesn't feel like a cut and paste job, or sound like it.
As a Queen fan, for me this ranks up there with their 1981 concert in Montreal Blu-Ray.
My hat is off to all the folks who sought out the existing footage and presented it so well!
I play it with my home theater system...a Yamaha home theater receiver and Polk audio speakers and it sounds great!
I never had a chance to see Queen live while Freddie was still with us, so for me I love having the opportunity to see some of their greatest shows that still exist on film. MUST HAVE for Queen fans!
on April 2, 2015
well, having just about all of queen i could find. when this came about i was just a bit on the cautious side, but that said and some research, i found this was freddies last tour, and it is a great concert, seeing freddie jump around and that voice clear and non straining. you watch this concert and for me i viewed his last video on you tube. it was so sad, but i am a fan, this is now one of my best videos to view, when i am in bed nothing on the old boob tube. i dig out old music videos and yes there it is, sitting there on top just as i left it before. i pick it up and to me i can feel the magic in that concert coming to me as if pocessed by freddie saying play me again. for i am here. sounds stupid but i just love music. this one is special it has an aura about it. to anyone gets this disc before its gone. you will love it.