Hunger Games... Like Battle Royale? Need to know from someone who has read both The Hunger Games and Battle Royale: are they anything alike? Cause the Hunger Games sounds a lot like a toned down version of Battle Royale.
asked by Reading Bifrost on July 10, 2010
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 31-40 of 106 answers
A
votes
I wanted to like the film and the book but the attitude of the author shocked me and prevented me from doing so. 
C Wong answered on April 2, 2012

A
votes
You're right on w/ the similarities... too coincidental. Very much food for thought. It is possible to have someone describe a movie or book that impacted them... which would give you the general gist to inspire you. Then you would technically not be lying when you say you've not read BR or seen the movie. I think it's pretty much been established the "coincidences" are just too numerous. Just saying...
nohippiechick answered on January 14, 2012

A
votes
If you've only seen the movie you aren't in a position to comment on BR; it was a very poor adaptation.
Anwen Peng answered on March 1, 2012

A
votes
Biggest difference between HG and BR is that HG is a Young Adult novel (meaning it's pretty much PG-13, even with its edgy subject matter) while BR is a very adult novel. xKamex, you used the phrase "watered down" to describe HG. I'm not sure I agree. Even though the violence and gore are definitely toned down, the ending of the trilogy is actually darker than the end of Takami's novel. Collins is pretty bleak about governments and our ability to really fight against them (even the resistance is tainted).

The huge majority of HG fans wouldn't like BR at all (too much blood, gore, and violence). Also, the kids love the romantic triangle in HG, which is very different from the romance in BR.

Final thought -- in no way does HG "ruin" BR. Both novels have things going for them, and adult readers of both can appreciate both. I can, anyway.
kacunnin answered on March 15, 2012

A
votes
If I wrote a book and was inspired by another book, I would deny, deny, deny. In our lawsuit happy nation, any admission of association is bound to bring an attempt to collect money.

I'm just over 1/2 way through the BR English translation and I can't argue the similarities. But I really don't care either. I really loved THG and so far BR is OK, but has not affected me emotionally as THG did.

Also, so far anyway, the history of THG is much more credible to me (OPINION ALERT) than BR. BR seems to be set in an alternate 1999 and THG is set very far in the future. It's easier for me to imagine anything 500 years from now but it's harder for me to envision this alternate present-day Japan.

As for the writing itself, BR has the disadvantage of being a translation and thus a bit stiff. THG is in my native language and the nuances are more easily appreciated.

Anyway, I like the concepts as a whole and I hope we get a few more good versions by other authors.
Specklebang answered on March 15, 2012

A
votes
Okay, then she got the idea from Battle Royale and Running Man. It's a rip off.
John816 answered on February 2, 2012

A
votes
what is quite dreadful is the fact that there was going to be a remake of the BR movie, finally for the first time in America. It WOULD'VE been worth talking about, unfortunately they had to cancel the whole thing as soon as they began because someone decided THG would be better for america because of the "age differences." Honestly, to me it feels as if the people in charge of THG stole the spotlight of what would've been a great movie worth talking about.
SB answered on March 10, 2012

A
votes
Some people keep trying to defend Hunger Games by saying it has different characters, it's a different time, a different feel, etc. Of course this stuff wouldn't be the same. Whatever. Point is the main premise: kids released into the woods with their bag of weapons and the task of eliminating the other kids is an outright ripoff of Battle Royale. I'm surprised there hasn't been any legal action yet.
John816 answered on March 20, 2012

A
vote
I will suggest, Brandon, that the BR movie is hardly worth talking about. It's a pretty dreadful film that focuses almost exclusively on the blood, gore, and violence in the novel, to the detriment of character and theme. The BR novel is a brutally stark examination of the human condition, and what people will do when given license (similar in theme to Golding's LORD OF THE FLIES). HG is much more an attack on totalitarianism, and the ultimate corruption that results from ultimate power.

I think it's quite possible for people to honestly and thoroughly prefer either book over the other. And if Collins did indeed read BR before coming up with HG, then I wonder if Takami read Stephen King's THE LONG WALK before coming up with his BR story. As Specklebang points out, most literary efforts share commonalities with stories that preceded them (including Shakespeare's!).
kacunnin answered on March 10, 2012

A
vote
battle royale is televised, you are wrong.
C. zellner answered on March 15, 2012
‹ Previous   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   Next ›