Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Deal of the Day
Is 'Hunger Games' similar to Twilight? I erased my original post because I got the answer I needed. Thanks for the ones that responded.
[UPDATED] asked by panda on June 10, 2009
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 20 answers
A
Wow, not even close! Hunger Games is a survival story in a dystopian society. Teens are forced into combat and all of the coutry's citizens are required to watch the Games. It is kind of a mix of Survivor and Big Brother. It is one of my favorite books.
Pig_Weasley answered on June 10, 2009
Comment | 3 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I've read all of the Twilight books and I thought that SM tells interesting stories. However, I like the characters in Hunger Games much better. Bella is boring, weak, whiny, and clingy. She has no interests outside of Edward and really nothing else to live for, which is why she completely falls apart in New Moon when he leaves (definitely not an example I'd want my teenage daughters following). Some people might find that romantic, I just find it pathetic. And Edward is bossy. And Jacob is immature. And honestly I can't figure out why either of them are so in love with her because she doesn't do much other than read books and mope around.

Contrast that with Katniss who is strong, independent, smart, and intuitive. I think that she has her priorities straight, and since so many other more important things are going on she doesn't have time to sit around all day trying to figure out who she loves more the way Bella does (which is stupid because we all already know the answer to that question, it's so freaking obvious). And Peeta is so good and kind and compassionate, to everyone. And Gale has such a strong sense of how things SHOULD be in Panem that I think that he would be willing to sacrifice Katniss if it made the difference for everyone else. Contrasted with Edward, who would probably let earth's entire population kill each other off as long as Bella was safe.

Plus, it's not obvious who Katniss is going to pick, which actually makes the whole Love Triangle thing somewhat interesting. And since she's only 16 (17 in the second book) I think that it's entirely appropriate that she doesn't know who she wants to spend forever with yet.

I also like that SC told us what Gale, Katniss, and Peeta looked like once and then left it alone. By the end of New Moon I was pretty darned sick of hearing about Edward's marble chest, topaz eyes, and tousled bronze hair. We get it, he's handsome. You don't have to remind us every other page. And I agree with an above posting, I like all the action in the Hunger Games series. It makes things more interesting.
S. Chaston answered on September 11, 2009
Comment | 17 of 18 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
No way! The Hunger Games is 10x better than Twilight. The writing is better, the characters are better developed, and the plot is well written and thought-out. Which Twilight is not.
Dawn answered on June 22, 2009
Comment | 9 of 10 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
OMG NO! Beside them both being YA books and completely fictional they have nothing in common.
awilso answered on June 10, 2009
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Pig_Weasley: Isn't fire just a prequel? Like 40 years before Graceling?

The love triangle is the only thing that's in both books. And it is a lot harder in the Hunger Games than in Twilight. It was perfectly clear that Bella will choose Edward, in the Hunger Games the desicion is a lot harder (though I'm 100% Peeta). That makes it a little painful actually.
I don't really care for love triangles either. They're pretty exhausting.
Nina answered on September 7, 2009
Comment | 3 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Ummm....not really. The only similarity is the love triangle. I hate love triangles, or even squares. haha. (like in the house of night). I don't like it when your constantly rooting for one side of the feild, and when the main character is stupid enough to waver to the other side at times. Twilights really 90% romance and emotions, while Hunger Games is (asides form amazing), about, 65 to 70% hard-violence. Good stuff :-)

It's kind of weird because in Twilight, I was ALWAYS 100% Edward. But in Hunger, I'm kinda about 70% Gale, and 30% Peeta. So, I can't really decide. Ill have to wait an ENTIRE YEAR before I get the third book. Great....
Krej answered on September 7, 2009
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
that's OK - it is possible to like them both, and it can be confusing because SM recommended the Hunger Games on her website ;)
starfish answered on June 22, 2009
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
You have a good point S. Chaston. If your boyfriend leaves you, why try to kill yourself ten differrent times just to hear his voice? Suck it up and get over it. Its not like there are absolutely no other guys out there in the world except for the one that left you. Personaly I think Katniss is better with Gale... but thats just me. THG is not even close to being like Twilight. Twilight was good, but I'm sick of super hot vampires now, i mean one book and the world goes crazy? seriously people. THG was soooo awesome!! I love all the characters and the plot. AMAZING!!!!!!!!
M. Dodds answered on September 20, 2009
Comment | 4 of 5 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Yeah, okay I decided to read some of the reviews for HG......*facepalm*. I don't know why I just didn't do that in the first place. Sorry. Now I feel like a dweeb.
panda answered on June 10, 2009
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I actually loved both Twilight and Hunger Games. But whereas I will probably never read the Twilight series again, I think I will be re-reading Hunger Games; this trilogy just has more staying power and is put together better. I have Graceling on my shelf to read, but haven't gotten to it yet. I'll have to bump it up on my list :-)
Karissa Eckert answered on August 31, 2009
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   2   Next ›

See all questions about this product