Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on January 30, 2012
This is just a fair warning to anyone interested in buying this edition: The copy I received looked normal (it had the right cover) but after opening it up I found that the text inside was the book "The Hunger But Mostly Death Games"

Another person has posted a review describing the same problem. I ended up having to spend $3 to return the book to Amazon because they only supply a portion of the return shipping, I was very annoyed by this and I highly suggest not buying the mass-market edition if you decide on this translation.

In addition to this, I highly recommend getting a copy translated by Sverre Lyngstad, which just came out in 1996. I browsed through both copies (Sverre & Egerton) and the difference in how the prose is rendered is quite significant. Egerton seems to follow the classic British style of translation where emphasis is placed on exactitude and misses out on some of the nuance and wit that is more apparent in the Sverre translation.
on February 28, 2011
The information shown in this listing is incorrect. This edition is published by a company called 'Seven Treasures' and makes no mention of who the translator is. I read first half of the Sverre Lyngstad version, but lost my copy. I picked this one up because of the attractive price and was unable to continue reading due to the quality of the translation. Go with a publisher and translator you can trust.
on October 24, 2010
I just purchased a copy of what purports to be Knut Hamsun's classic book, "Hunger". I say "purports" because there is no progeny on the book, no name given for the writing of the introduction to the work. The publication and printing appear to be one off, computer generated, listed as being printed on October 19, 2010 in Lexington Kentucky. The Publisher, Seven Treasures Publications, is not the one listed on the Amazon Sales page

I was led to believe (by Amazon) that this was a translation by Per Lyngvyst, but there is no information whatsoever on the book as to who translated it.

This company also claims the Copyright on this book (2008), which seems fraudulent. If this publisher has purchased the rights, I suppose that is possible, but the likelihood is that the book is in the public domain (written in the 19th century) or renewed by as Estate.

Please explain.

I will be returning the book, but before I spend extensive time criticizing and warning about this company and this method, please send an explanation.

Thanks,

Richard
on January 12, 2011
I bought this book because it was recommended to me. I got the Create Space edition (they are apparently one of these fly-by-night publisher that are popping up everywhere printing anything in the public domain on demand). I have no idea who the translator is because that information is not included in the Create Space edition. The translator must have been truly awful. Or this book and author are overrated or both. That aside, this is the kind of book a young man - one who is currently misanthropic, but will ultimately join the Peace Corps - would get passionate about. Ultimately, I wouldn't read it again, even if someone handed me the "definitive" translation. I'd reread Kafka.
on November 11, 2011
Some books take a few pages, or rather, chapters to bring you in. After the first couple of pages of 'Hunger,' I was hooked. This story of a struggling writer was so beautifully written that you end up wishing you could meet the writer and help him. It's raw, unkempt, just like the writer. I will probably read this book another half-dozen times. There are not many books out there that sincerely move you, but after reading 'Hunger,' I was moved, and look forward to reading it again and again.
on September 1, 2010
So finally I came across this much praised book by Knut Hamsun. Well in my opinion it is a little bit overrated. I mean it's OK, but it's very repetitive in it's nature. It's the story about this crazy young man running around doing crazy things in Norway's capital, at that time called Christania. There is actually no development in the novel, we just witness these crazy excesses of the principal, things like saying weird things to coincidental people on the streets etc. I think Hamsun envisioned the book as a comedy depicting the craziness and idiosyncrasies of the young artist. People who liked this book should proceed with Sigurd Hoel's "Meeting at the Milestone". That's another good Norwegian book. I think you'll like it!