Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports

Format: Audio CD|Change

on December 9, 2010
Having spent the last five years as the darlings of Portland's house show scene, Typhoon this year released their second full length album representing the culmination of a long artistic development. While their previous music was often marked by genre experimentation, including a love affair with Sea Shanties for a period, much of that impulse has fallen away in favor of a tighter, more self-assured sound.

The size of the band, which averages around 12 players at live shows, is used to great effect to counterpoint the intimate, soulful melodies of lead singer Kyle Morton. Typhoon swings masterfully between the heart-achingly diminutive simplicity of Morton's voice and guitar to an epic, chorale grandiloquence.

Standout tracks include the first single, Starting Over, track 3, CPR - Claws Pt. 2 and the last track, The Sickness Unto Death which draws heavily from Morton's own struggles with health since childhood.

Hunger and Thirst is simply a wonderful album from one of the most exciting bands in the Portland indie scene today. I can't recommend it enough.
on October 11, 2010
It's particularly satisfying to come across an album that piques your interest with that first listen and then proceeds to take shape with each additional spin (figuratively...at least in this case.) That first listen is chaos and color, with each spin thereafter moving away from entropy and forming something shapelier, nuanced, and forgiving. Good stuff.
on December 9, 2010
Check their website [...] for videos...you will be completely charmed by this group of talented, diverse, creative friends. Their love for the music and the stories, as well as for each other, is evident. Pieces range from the entire group of a dozen or so singing along (you will, too) to individual work on haunting, soul revealing poetry. Beautiful... I listen over and over again.
VINE VOICEon December 16, 2010
I've listened to Typhoon's Hunger and Thirst about 50 times since yesterday (okay, maybe really 20 times). Pleasantly surprised is not enough to describe my love of this release. I was looking at Amazon's top list of music people might have missed, and decided to check this release out. From what I've read and heard, the band consists of about 10 or more people, which could make a break a band, in my opinion. This works for Typhoon. The music is soulful, interesting, quiet and loud. The singer's voice reminds me of Jason Molina from Songs:Ohia, which is very plaintive and emotional most times. Most tracks feature many different instruments, some sounding bluesy, some sounding folksy, some rock...some songs feature only a guitar. It works. It's beautiful. I'm so glad I gave it a listen. A tad melancholy at times, but perfect for a cold, snowy winter.
on March 31, 2011
Being a Portland resident, and member of the music community... it took me awhile to finally purchase and hear this whole album! WOW! WOW! WOW! This is a perfect album, and one of the most incredible listening experiences I've had in the last 4 years of discovering new music. Brutally sincere, honest, profound, beautiful, intricate, emotionally powerful, Typhoon is something to be cherished. I highly recommend purchasing this album immediately.
on December 11, 2010
I am loving this album!! It makes you want to listen to it over and over. I also like the concept of this band a sort of roving band of musical jesters srikeing at will in the jungles of the Portland OR. The songs are heartfelt but also a bit humorous and the whole thing sounds very natural and organic yet also orgasmic( or perhaps climatic is the better word) It sounds like an folk orchestra fresh from the livingroom of an old Victorian house full of slightly excentric vagabonds stopped in for a vist.... I think I heard someone cracking open a beer in one song or at least I wanted to imagine it so. What fun! who says there is no good music these days? they just haven't been typhooned!!
on September 13, 2013
I am going to give this album 5 out of 5. 9 out of 11 of the songs are very good, and the other two are good, just too short. In fact, Track 9 is one of my favorites, its just only 45 seconds long. A solid production with a wide range of emotional depth. Keep it coming, Typhoon.
on September 11, 2013
Deep vocal meaning in conjuction with a plethora of suitable music. For a non familiar fan....one might consider this band to avant garde///not the case...just listen to all 12-13 voices & musicians////they're a treat!!!!!
on January 19, 2011
Did you see what this review was titled? Oh, you didn't? I'll repeat it then. Best album of 2010.
on March 16, 2012
I managed to happen across a Typhoon song one day and fell in love. If you like good music (played with real instruments) you'll love Typhoon.

This album, Hunger and Thirst, rose incredibly fast in my iTunes to become one of my most-listened-to albums. Once you start it, it's damn-near impossible to stop.