Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Hungry for Change (Enhanced Edition): Ditch the Diets, Conquer the Cravings, and Eat Your Way to Lifelong Health
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on October 2, 2012
I picked up Hungry for Change: Ditch the Diets, Conquer the Cravings, and Eat Your Way to Lifelong Health, for a client of mine who has been complaining of health issues lately and eats a diet full of "low fat" and processed foods. I ended up reading it myself.

The authors have a pretty simple message: eat real food for health. That means no processed food, artificially made fat free food, aspartame and other artificial sweeteners,caffeine, MSG, food that has been genetically modified and more. (Other than the caffeine, I agree with everything.)No microwaves, processed foods or artificial ingredients. It means avoiding sugar and refined flour. Say good bye to empty calories.

Eat real, whole foods and you won't need to diet...your weight will stabilize naturally.

Whole foods. Meat from pasture raised animals fed grass. Organic. Super foods like chia and hemp seeds, seaweed, coconut,green juices, parsley and cilantro.

Throughout the book, people are featured who changed their health by changing their diet are featured.

Lots of healthy recipes are included...many I will try. (OK, think I will get another copy for myself!)

Recommend.
11 comment| 107 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 4, 2012
Just received the book. I've seen "Food Matters" and the DVD, "Hungry For Change" I am one of those middle-aged women who struggles with extra pounds that seem to be adding up and are so difficult to lose. This book to me is like written form of the DVD and HFC Recipe book, combined. I LOVE IT! Of the messages I walk away with, meaningful to me is choosing higher quality foods that actually nourish my body vs. continuously craving food because what I was eating wasn't nourishing my body. For me, it isn't about weight loss as much as creating a healthy body. I think the weight will work itself out as that appears to be happening. I love the approach of adding in the healthy practices one at a time and over time they will replace the unhealthy food/practices. That seems to be a life changer...not a short term goal.

Thank you for the common sense approach! I couldn't recommend the Book, DVD and Cookbook enough! To all involved in making this...Thank you, You have changed my life! My health and happiness have greatly improved because of it!
on October 29, 2012
This book is pretty much just a companion to the DVD "Hungry for Change" that was released a year or 2 ago. It contains many recipes as well as a couple of different detox/healthy eating programs that are very good for you. The text of the book goes over a lot of the ground covered in the movie but will serve as a good reference if you are struggling to resist the bad food urges at times. The collection of stories from people who have gone from extremely unhealthy to very healthy makes you realise that anyone can be healthy if they want to.
on October 6, 2012
Rarely have I been this happy with a book. It is straightforward, inspiring and helpful. The recipe section is brilliantly designed and with simple, delicious recipes. It is exactly what I needed. I can't thank the authors enough for the work and sacrifice they've put into this effort.
on October 2, 2012
These authors intend to set the record straight. It's not the calories that count. It's the quality of the food. The kind of food we eat matters. How we prepare that food matters. Conquering the obesity epidemic which is overtaking this country doesn't require starvation. It requires a new menu.

It was a family member's health challenge, in 2003, that led them to research nutrition and diet and begin organizing what they found into an easy-to-understand, no-nonsense format. They began with the film, "Food Matters". They have written this book as a companion resource for their newest documentary, "Hungry for Change". Their message is simple: replace unhealthy, unnatural foods with healthy natural ones.

The first part of the book gives detailed information for determining which foods are healthy and which aren't. It also contains tips for gradually changing unhealthy, often addictive eating patterns -- such as shopping the perimeters of the grocery store instead of the aisles, and focusing on gradually adding healthy foods to your diet instead of on depriving yourself of the unhealthy ones. The second part of the book contains lots of simple, creative recipes that make it both easy and interesting to begin eating healthy.

The words of wisdom from a stellar lineup of medical and nutritional experts sprinkled throughout the text, are the icing on the cake (in this case an Almond and Orange Cake made with coconut palm sugar). This book is a thorough and inspirational tool for making food our friend instead of our undoing.

(InannaWorks.com received a free review copy of this book.)
on October 31, 2012
I spend a lot of time learning about nutrition and natural health. I am getting a bachelors in Integrative Therapeutic Practices and have taken a number of conventional nutrition classes in college. I also have researched many different philosophies on nutrition, from veganism to raw foods to paleo to Westin A Price and all the fun stuff in between. This book draws on the wisdom of all those philosophies without getting into some of the deeper theories. It also spares us some of the craziness that can be found in rigid nutritional philosophies. Its a bit more alternative than what you'll hear from a conventional nutritionist, but I think it's overall well rounded. Much of the info I already knew, but it's inspiring and motivating and has some good recipes in the back.
on October 20, 2012
Hungry for Change is a sobbering documentary that exposes what is happening to each and everyone one of us as a direct result of the Food Industry. It gets the word out so that we are educated on what is happening with the food supply that is poisoning our bodies, causing disease and cancer... and tells us why this is happening and how to stop it and create the change that is needed. The data is presented so that is easy to understand.
on December 15, 2012
Ordered this book to help me change my diet. Excellent resource in accomplishing this task! What's also great are the references they include in the book! I have SO much information from the websites they list throughout the book! It's incredible! I would also recommend the book, The PH Miracle. I use both of these books as my resources. Just to let you know about me, I'm a 50 yr old 6 foot 180 lb male. Or I should say was! I went on a juice fast for 5 days and then continued following the diet they recommend in the two books. I lost 14 lbs in 10 days!! And my energy level is out the roof!! We as a whole view food as entertainment vs. fuel for our body. This book will teach you how to see food as fuel!
on October 18, 2012
This book is so informative.... I've been looking for something to help improve my health and while I don't want to go totally raw, the information in this book is outstanding in outlining how certain foods and additives affect the human body.... The DVD is great too.
on March 2, 2015
If I could give this a 6th star I would! I really love "Hungry for Change" the documentary and the book. For me, the book isn't quite as compelling as the documentary, but it comes with recipes and it's a great way to be able to quick reference particular parts if you're trying to remember something. It is not a book to compliment the documentary, it is basically a written version of the documentary. So if you don't feel the need to duplicate, you probably don't need the book.

As for the content, it is a really positive, motivating and encouraging book. Hungry for Change has notable representatives from a really wide range of perspectives on healthy living all with the common goals of self care, whole foods, cutting out the processed stuff and living well. Whoever did the editing is definitely skilled because they took many different people of very different backgrounds and sometimes very different opinions (think paleo on one side and vegan on the other) and managed to blend them all seamlessly into one tale of positive, uplifting advice for how any person can get started on a journey toward better health and a self love.

I especially enjoy the way they include little history lessons on how the food industry has developed and why we have certain problems in both America and the world. One example would be the history of sugar consumption and what contributed to the incredible spike over the last several decades.

"Hungry for Change" balances in depth information for those who are already well into healthy living with inviting and un-intimidating information for people who are looking into a change for the first time. Whether you want to live better to lose weight, beat cancer, have glowing skin, improve your mood or really any other reason you can probably find useful information and encouragement in "Hungry for Change."