5.0 out of 5 stars Cute addition, but....
Published on December 8, 2009 by Tasha Cole

I am a big fan of the Hungry Girl cookbooks and own both of her previous cookbooks which I use often for fast and easy meals that I know are diet friendly. She is very creative in the kitchen and can turn even someone who shuns the stove into a cook with her easy instructions and, quite often, good healthy takes on favorite treats.

So...if you are wondering if...
Published on December 10, 2009 by Chandler

3.0 out of 5 stars A great intro to Hungry Girl recipes...but if you already have her books, these are all repeats, December 10, 2009
This review is from: Hungry Girl Chew the Right Thing: Supreme Makeovers for 50 Foods You Crave (Card Book)

So...if you are wondering if her recipes are right for you, this is a great place to start. With just 50 recipes, it's a small book of recipes but they are made into recipe cards and are quite cute...because of that, they are a fun stocking stuffer or gift set for any dieter or waist watcher or Weight Watcher! :-)

That said...(and here's what dinged it for me and took away a couple stars)
If you are already a raving fan like myself, these will ALL be repeats for you. I've made the "Ate layer dip" (her version of 8 layer dip) and the mini pigs in blankets and red velvet insanity cupcakes, and the eggs bene-chick, and the Lord of the Onion Rings and the hungrygirlfredo etc etc etc many times before(All good recipes)...so you should know...THESE ARE ALL RECIPES TAKEN FROM THE FIRST TWO BOOKS AND MADE INTO RECIPE CARDS. Although there were a couple that are from her website. The other cookbooks (HungryGirl cookbook and 200 under 200) are quite extensive and filled with recipes--so if you know you'll like her cooking from seeing her on tv, go for those instead. You'll get more bang for your buck.

If, instead, you are totally unfamiliar to her or just want 50 of her recipes in recipe card version...good place to start...You might should also know she is processed-food friendly. Although I personally avoid that as much as I can, I am also realistic enough to know there just isn't always time for me to cook from scratch and, in those time, I at least know I am not also loading up on fat and calories. Don't get me wrong...these aren't all processed food recipes. She doesn't shun them, but you will come across lots of cans and boxes in the recipes. Which, I gotta be honest, I frankly often need on weeknights.

Negatives: No Dietary Exchanges or Weight Watchers Points listed as you see in her newsletter.

Conclusion: For me, this would have been a waste since I already have all these recipes but it became part of a gift basket for a friend with some homemade low-cal goodies because she just started a weight loss plan and couldn't partake of the office holiday goodies and felt left out. So it went to good use and was well received. However, I think it should be a little more clear to those who do buy her books...they are good, but they are re-runs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cute addition, but...., December 8, 2009
Tasha Cole (Virginia, USA) - See all my reviews
I own both Lisa Lillien's books "Hungry Girl" and "Hungry Girl 200 under 200". I have also preordered her next book, "Hungry Girl 1-2-3: The Easiest, Most Delicious, Guilt-Free Recipes on the Planet", which is set to be released March 30, 2010. If you havent yet, you should check out her website [...] and sign up for her newsletter. I love the books and her website. They have been a great addition that have helped me create new and exciting menu ideas on my Weight Watchers program.

I think these recipe cards are a cute addition to her collection although I am sad to say that the few that I have looked at are not *new* recipes. "Big Fat Blueberry Muffins" and "So Low Mein with Chicken" are recipes that are in her "HG 200 under 200" book. Also, the "Magical Low-Calorie Margarita", "Eggs Bene-Chick" and "HG's De-Pudged Pigs in a Blanket" as well as several others that I have picked up are from her first "Hungry Girl" book.

It will take me a little while to go through all 50 recipe cards to compare them to both her previous books, but so far, everyone that I have picked up have been in one or the other, which disappoints me, alot!

The recipe cards retail for [...], which I only paid [...] (Thank you Amazon). If they had been all new recipes they would have been well worth the full price! After giving this some thought,I am going to go ahead and give this product 5 stars because it is cute and is color coded, which makes it easy to flip through and find the cards you want, and there are three extra "note" cards that are helpful.(Hungry Girl Staples, Hungry Girl's Recommended Products, and Hungry Girl Chew the Right Thing".)

They are worth what I paid for them, but if all 50 are just repeated recipes that I already own from her first two books, and they look to be just that, then I would never have bought them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Favorite Recipes from the Hungry Girl Kitchen, December 10, 2009
These 50 recipe cards appear to be favorite and/or top recipes from the Hungry Girl books and web site. I like them because sometimes I do not feel like keeping a cookbook in the kitchen just to read through a recipe while I cook. (Yes, I am a lazy cook I admit it.) I do love that these recipes are on heavy card stock and are large (5X7) and colorful. A picture of the finished recipe is on the front with nutritional information for a single serving. I wish she had included Weight Watchers points and Dietary Exchanges, but I guess there was not enough room. On the back of the card is a list of ingredients and cooking instructions.

The recipes are broken down into five categories with about 10 recipes in each:
1. Morning Makeover Madness
2. Chocolate Fixes and Sweet Treats
3. Fast Food and Restuarant Favorites
4. Around the World
5. Party Recipes and Crowd Pleasers

There is also a list of recommended products and Hungry Girl staples.

For those of you who have all the Hungry Girl books and get her newsletter regularly, you will probably want to skip this deck.

For someone who is just starting to changeover to a more healthy lifestyle or wants to see what Hungry Girl is all about, I would say this is a great recipe card deck to purchase. This also would make a great stocking stuffer, or a birthday gift with all the ingredients provided for one of the recipes.

4.0 out of 5 stars FEAST WITHOUT FEAR, December 22, 2009
It's a festive time of year, and what are festivities without feasting? However, no one wants to put on extra pounds - even the best of merry making isn't worth waistbands that won't reach and buttons that pop. Enter Lisa Lillien aka Hungry Girl, the gal who has over 800,000 fans waiting for her email newsletter so they can enjoy eating what they want sans avoirdupois.

How about Red Velvet Insanity Cupcakes (140 calories each) or Amazing Ate-Layer Dip (105 calories per serving)? Too good to be true? Not according to Lillien's multitude of faithful followers.

Here are HUNGRY GIRL CHEW THE RIGHT THING RECIPE CARDS offering 50 foods we want to eat but think we shouldn't. This is a 50 card deck with a picture of the dish on one side and the recipe on the other. Included are such yummies as Sassy Southwestern Egg roles (181 calories for three), Woohoo Waffle Stack (226 calories for the whole stack), and 48 more delectables.

You can simply pop these recipe cards into your file box and enjoy. So, on with the festivities and the no-being-sorry-tomorrow feasting.

- Gail Cooke

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this book, February 10, 2010
I am not one for giving up my favorite foods. Me sacrificing tasty foods??? Until I got Diabetes, and High Blood Pressure, and High Chloresterol. I was forced to find a new way of cooking my favorite foods. Well, the Hungry Girl option was there to help me and it did. Am I upset that I can't eat the way I used to? Oh YESSSSS!!! But at least I can eat the same foods only preparing them differently with the help of this book and the rest in the Hungry Girl line of books. I give this book a thumbs up. Tracie Szakal

5.0 out of 5 stars Hungry Girl Recipe Cards, June 24, 2010
In all honesty I thought I was getting a book and than when these showed up I didn't care that it wasn't a book. These come in handy and the recipes are wonderful. I have made many of them already and have been impressed. I would recommend this to anyone that just wants a card rather than a book-due to the fact that some books just don't want to stay open to the page you want it too. I love Hungry Girl's books and the recipes that she shares! It has made my life much easier, that is for sure.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Ideas, April 23, 2010
E Kit (Lansing, MI) - See all my reviews
I like the ideas that Hungry Girl books provide, however I also bought two other Hungry Girl things and I found that the recipes are repeated quiet frequently. So basically I bought 3 different books with most of the same recipes in each one. I would recommend purchasing something from Hungry Girl, but only one thing. This makes great gifts for your friends too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely darling!, April 22, 2010
These cards are adorable. Yes, they are redundant recipes from her first two books, but these are some of the best and easiest of the bunch and I like having them easily accessible. These would make a fun gift for someone watching their weight, too! I also like being able to grab a couple of cards and take them to the grocery store instead of having to make a list of ingredients from a book...Good job, Hungry Girl!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hungry Girl good for diabetes, April 3, 2010
This collection of recipes works pretty well for diabetics as well as low calorie diets. I must skip the ice cream desserts but the smoothies with ice I love. They are easy to make and the recipe book actually fits in the drawer rather than my having to go to the bookshelf to seek it out amongst the other books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great How To's for Upgrading Familiar Recipes, March 24, 2010
Hungry Girl is an on-line source of delicious and innovative recipes for healthy foods. The "Chew the Right Thing" recipes are perfect makevoers for age-old favorites, substituting healthy ingredients without losing any of the well-loved taste! If it says "Hungry Girl", buy it! It's got to be good!

Hungry Girl Chew the Right Thing: Supreme Makeovers for 50 Foods You Crave