Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Hungry Girl Chew the Right Thing: Supreme Makeovers for 50 Foods You Crave
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

I am a big fan of the Hungry Girl cookbooks and own both of her previous cookbooks which I use often for fast and easy meals that I know are diet friendly. She is very creative in the kitchen and can turn even someone who shuns the stove into a cook with her easy instructions and, quite often, good healthy takes on favorite treats.

So...if you are wondering if her recipes are right for you, this is a great place to start. With just 50 recipes, it's a small book of recipes but they are made into recipe cards and are quite cute...because of that, they are a fun stocking stuffer or gift set for any dieter or waist watcher or Weight Watcher! :-)

That said...(and here's what dinged it for me and took away a couple stars)
If you are already a raving fan like myself, these will ALL be repeats for you. I've made the "Ate layer dip" (her version of 8 layer dip) and the mini pigs in blankets and red velvet insanity cupcakes, and the eggs bene-chick, and the Lord of the Onion Rings and the hungrygirlfredo etc etc etc many times before(All good recipes)...so you should know...THESE ARE ALL RECIPES TAKEN FROM THE FIRST TWO BOOKS AND MADE INTO RECIPE CARDS. Although there were a couple that are from her website. The other cookbooks (HungryGirl cookbook and 200 under 200) are quite extensive and filled with recipes--so if you know you'll like her cooking from seeing her on tv, go for those instead. You'll get more bang for your buck.

If, instead, you are totally unfamiliar to her or just want 50 of her recipes in recipe card version...good place to start...You might should also know she is processed-food friendly. Although I personally avoid that as much as I can, I am also realistic enough to know there just isn't always time for me to cook from scratch and, in those time, I at least know I am not also loading up on fat and calories. Don't get me wrong...these aren't all processed food recipes. She doesn't shun them, but you will come across lots of cans and boxes in the recipes. Which, I gotta be honest, I frankly often need on weeknights.

Negatives: No Dietary Exchanges or Weight Watchers Points listed as you see in her newsletter.

Conclusion: For me, this would have been a waste since I already have all these recipes but it became part of a gift basket for a friend with some homemade low-cal goodies because she just started a weight loss plan and couldn't partake of the office holiday goodies and felt left out. So it went to good use and was well received. However, I think it should be a little more clear to those who do buy her books...they are good, but they are re-runs.
22 comments|160 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 8, 2009
I own both Lisa Lillien's books "Hungry Girl" and "Hungry Girl 200 under 200". I have also preordered her next book, "Hungry Girl 1-2-3: The Easiest, Most Delicious, Guilt-Free Recipes on the Planet", which is set to be released March 30, 2010. If you havent yet, you should check out her website [...] and sign up for her newsletter. I love the books and her website. They have been a great addition that have helped me create new and exciting menu ideas on my Weight Watchers program.

I think these recipe cards are a cute addition to her collection although I am sad to say that the few that I have looked at are not *new* recipes. "Big Fat Blueberry Muffins" and "So Low Mein with Chicken" are recipes that are in her "HG 200 under 200" book. Also, the "Magical Low-Calorie Margarita", "Eggs Bene-Chick" and "HG's De-Pudged Pigs in a Blanket" as well as several others that I have picked up are from her first "Hungry Girl" book.

It will take me a little while to go through all 50 recipe cards to compare them to both her previous books, but so far, everyone that I have picked up have been in one or the other, which disappoints me, alot!

The recipe cards retail for [...], which I only paid [...] (Thank you Amazon). If they had been all new recipes they would have been well worth the full price! After giving this some thought,I am going to go ahead and give this product 5 stars because it is cute and is color coded, which makes it easy to flip through and find the cards you want, and there are three extra "note" cards that are helpful.(Hungry Girl Staples, Hungry Girl's Recommended Products, and Hungry Girl Chew the Right Thing".)

They are worth what I paid for them, but if all 50 are just repeated recipes that I already own from her first two books, and they look to be just that, then I would never have bought them.
22 comments|64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon December 10, 2009
These 50 recipe cards appear to be favorite and/or top recipes from the Hungry Girl books and web site. I like them because sometimes I do not feel like keeping a cookbook in the kitchen just to read through a recipe while I cook. (Yes, I am a lazy cook I admit it.) I do love that these recipes are on heavy card stock and are large (5X7) and colorful. A picture of the finished recipe is on the front with nutritional information for a single serving. I wish she had included Weight Watchers points and Dietary Exchanges, but I guess there was not enough room. On the back of the card is a list of ingredients and cooking instructions.

The recipes are broken down into five categories with about 10 recipes in each:
1. Morning Makeover Madness
2. Chocolate Fixes and Sweet Treats
3. Fast Food and Restuarant Favorites
4. Around the World
5. Party Recipes and Crowd Pleasers

There is also a list of recommended products and Hungry Girl staples.

For those of you who have all the Hungry Girl books and get her newsletter regularly, you will probably want to skip this deck.

For someone who is just starting to changeover to a more healthy lifestyle or wants to see what Hungry Girl is all about, I would say this is a great recipe card deck to purchase. This also would make a great stocking stuffer, or a birthday gift with all the ingredients provided for one of the recipes.
on February 10, 2010
I am not one for giving up my favorite foods. Me sacrificing tasty foods??? Until I got Diabetes, and High Blood Pressure, and High Chloresterol. I was forced to find a new way of cooking my favorite foods. Well, the Hungry Girl option was there to help me and it did. Am I upset that I can't eat the way I used to? Oh YESSSSS!!! But at least I can eat the same foods only preparing them differently with the help of this book and the rest in the Hungry Girl line of books. I give this book a thumbs up. Tracie Szakal
on June 24, 2010
In all honesty I thought I was getting a book and than when these showed up I didn't care that it wasn't a book. These come in handy and the recipes are wonderful. I have made many of them already and have been impressed. I would recommend this to anyone that just wants a card rather than a book-due to the fact that some books just don't want to stay open to the page you want it too. I love Hungry Girl's books and the recipes that she shares! It has made my life much easier, that is for sure.
on March 31, 2012
It's nice to have a single card for reference instead of thumbing through the cookbooks, but I was disappointed to find that there wasn't really anything new here. If you have the cookbooks, these are just a rehash.
on April 25, 2013
I LOVE these cards! When I decide to host friends or family at the last minute, I can grab the recipes only the way home and put the meals/snacks/drinks together quickly! They also save me from searching through my many HG recipe books looking for quick fixes! I definitely recommend for gals on the go!
on April 23, 2010
I like the ideas that Hungry Girl books provide, however I also bought two other Hungry Girl things and I found that the recipes are repeated quiet frequently. So basically I bought 3 different books with most of the same recipes in each one. I would recommend purchasing something from Hungry Girl, but only one thing. This makes great gifts for your friends too.
on December 18, 2012
Okay, I know she uses a lot of fake foods, but I substitute and use real ingredients. I do not do fake sugars, fat-free or sugar-free anything. The recipes are fun and tasty. So, I would recommend it.
on May 1, 2011
Ok, so I never actually got this and I was refunded....BUT I was also unaware that these were "CARD" style and not an actual book. Turns out I bought one of the HG books from a mass-chain retailer and just about ALL the recipes are in this book I bought that were on the "cards"