Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Black Friday Deals Black Friday Video Game Deals Shop Now Tikes

Format: PaperbackChange

on October 16, 2012
I own all of the Hungry Girl cookbooks, and I was actually happy to see that this "Bible" has come out, I decided to purchase this book in Kindle format since it is filled with a lot of old favorites from the other books, (and some great new things that I can't wait to try ), making it much easier to take along to the grocery store. I am however a little disappointed on the way the index is set up, It would be nice to have links that would take me to all the recipes that I am looking for, for instance, I want to find recipes for Salmon, well if I look up salmon in the index, well yeah the word is there, but it is not linked to any of the salmon recipes, so I would still have to look in the table of contents to find any recipe with the word salmon in it, this takes up way to much time. I love the Picture section, if there is something that looks good, then just click on the picture and it takes you to the recipe, just wish there were pictures to all the recipes, but yeah that is asking to much, can you imagine 650 pictures! LOL, the book would be HUGE. Anyway I gave this book all 5 stars because it is Hungry Girl and she has Awesome Recipes! But I give the Kindle Format only 4 stars because of the index problem. If you don't have any of Hungry girl books yet, then this would be a GREAT one to start with, but if you already have some of her books, then this would be a Great one to have on the Kindle, no point in repeating it on hard copy. It has everything you need, the best of the best!
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 19, 2012
I wasn't expecting this book to be as huge as it is ... it's full size pages (about 8.5x11) and over an inch thick. It's FULL of great recipes ... single serving omelets made in mugs, great sounding oatmeal, yummy parfaits, crock pot specialties, pastas, and tons more. Each recipe is labeled with a number of symbols to indicate how long it will take to make, if it's vegetarian, if there is a photo of the item somewhere in the book, etc.

Highly recommend this book!
on November 26, 2012
I wanted to like this book, I really did. I was looking for some great "comfort food" diet recipes and I thought the price/recipe ratio was a great deal. I was excited as a Weight Watchers member for some more variety and compatible recipes.

It's basically the same recipes, same ingredients, re-hashed over and over again with little to slight variation to make up a bulk of the book.

She likes to use substitutions, but she uses them for the bulk of the book such as, spaghetti squash for spaghetti, cauliflower for potatoes, pita and tortillas instead of pizza dough. This is fine, but if you don't care for these substitutions or if you just don't want them all the time, you're out of luck as they are used a majority of the time.

She calls for the same brand-name ingredients excessively. Making really for little variation in her recipes. And really, to the extent that she calls for these brands and praises them, it LOOKS like a book of exuberant endorsement deals.

Hungry Girl's official position is that they do not accept compensation for editorial "placement." Make of that what you will, but I haven't been the only one with suspicions (any layman would be) because of the amount to which she calls for the same brands.

Either way, if you use the book often you're going to be VERY sick of Fiber One cereal and Laughing Cow cheese, for example.

If you are looking for some great WW friendly recipes I've become a big fan of the Skinnytaste blog.

Bottom line, I WANTED to like this book but with the bulk of it being repetitious, filler recipes, it just isn't worth it. I'm returning my copy.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I have to sum up this cookbook in one word: fun! From the colorful graphics to the personal style of the author, this collection of 650 recipes makes menu planning and cooking an enjoyable experience. (One caveat: if you detest pink, you won't like this book because every page is pink. I happen to like the color so for me it wasn't an issue.)

A lot of the recipes are for one serving which is good news for singles who enjoy cooking, and any recipe can be doubled, tripled, etc., to meet the needs of a family or larger gathering. It is unexpectedly versatile because everyone can use it from single college students to newlyweds cooking for two to larger families.

If food doesn't taste good, we won't bother and that's the point of this cookbook. It offers tasty and satisfying low-calorie recipes that fill us up without the guilt. Many of them rely on artificial sweeteners, fat-free foods, and processed foods such as liquid egg substitute like Egg Beaters, Splenda, fat-free sour cream and salad dressings, bottled sauces, canned fruit and vegetables, etc. but they can be easily modified using the whole or fresh food versions for people who aren't counting calories or don't like the low-calorie or processed ingredients. Overall I found the recipes to be healthy alternatives to most restaurant or fast-food choices and portion sizes are large enough to be satisfying while not encouraging overeating. Mostly I like that the recipes use ingredients easily found in any grocery store and can be easily modified to personal taste.

Each recipe includes icons to indicate serving size, amount of preparation time, meatless dishes, and those that use five ingredients or less. There is no icon for freezer-friendly dishes but it seems that many of them would be suitable for making ahead and freezing for future meals.

There are 16 chapters that include Egg Mugs and Egg Bakes, Oatmeal Bowls, Parfaits, Faux-Frys: Poppers, Onion Rings, Chicken Nuggets and More; Pasta, Pizza, Mexican, Crock-Pot, Party Foods, Burgers and Fries, Sweet Stuff, and Foil Packs, plus more. I tried the Mexi-Licious Egg Mug and was pleasantly surprised at how easy and tasty it was. Mix the ingredients in a mug, microwave it, stir, and enjoy. There are lots of egg mug recipes with variations and they are easy enough that even my teenage son can fix his own breakfast this way.

Other recipes include Chili Cheese Egg Mug (195 calories), Cinna-Raisin Oatmeal (301 calories), Over the Rainbow Pancakes (267 calories), Onion Rings Parm (176 calories), Garlic-Bread White Pizza (289 calories), Southwestern Meatloaf (232 calories), Cheesed-Up Taco Turkey Burgers (219 calories), Veggie-Loaded Cashew Chicken (318 calories), Gooey-Good Fuji Apple Pie (159 calories), and Chocolate PB Pretzel Cupcakes (135 calories), to name just a few from this generous collection.

There aren't photos on every page or for every recipe but there are two photo sections with dozens of pictures, and photos of all the recipes in the cookbook can be seen at the Hungry Girl website ( While not included in the book itself, Weight Watchers point values for recipes can also be found at the website. However, the book does include nutritional values for calories, fat, carbs, sodium, fiber, and protein.

I like the variety, versatility, and fun approach to low-calorie cooking offered in this cookbook and would recommend it as a great gift for anyone no matter the level of cooking experience or family size.

I received a copy of this book for review from the publisher but the opinion of it is my own and was not solicited, nor was a positive review required.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 16, 2012
I love HG watch all her shows, own all her books and get her emails. She is fantastic. I don't work out, I like to eat large portions and I want to loose weight. I thought it was too much to ask but so far I have lost 40 pounds. Pairing her and Weight Watchers up has given me the success that I need. This book is a great book. Its huge, organized well and has all of my favorite recipes along with some great new ones.

I know some complain about weight watchers points and photos but both can be found on her website under the Books tab at the top. (sorry amazon will not allow me to post a link)

If you are new to Hungry Girl this is a great way to start. You don't need to give up your favorite foods, from Mac and Cheese to Peanut Butter Cups to Cupcakes to Shepard's Pie, she has a recipe for everything you love at calorie and point levels that will work for you.

I highly recommend Hungry Girl to the Max
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 17, 2012
I just finished going through the book and I love it. I've tried recipes from other books and off the website and have really enjoyed them. The book is organized in a very simple to use way. I love that the recipes are identified by how long they take to prepare. I'm a Weight Watcher and loved that I could go on the website and find the Points Plus Values for all of the recipes. The book includes just about every type of recipe group imaginable! Holiday, Crockpot, Parties, Meatless, etc. I'm so glad I purchased this book and I look forward to surprising my family with some delicious meals.
on November 12, 2012
Wow! I have made a few of the recipes in here and let me say "yum!" If you stock up your pantry and fridge many of the recipes have mix and match ingredients. For example, bananas, splenda, low fat p-butter, semi-sweet choc chips, low sugar or sugar free strawberry preserves, low fat hot choc, egg beaters, cooked chicken breast, mushrooms, onion, garlic powder, cinnamon, splenda, etc. can be used in multiple recipes, so you are not tunning out to the store each time you try a new one. Pick out a few recipes using many of the same ingredients before going shopping. I stuck with the egg mugs and oatmeal bowls the first time and was able to try many of them without having to go to the store in two weeks! And they were all a delicious alternative! I am addicted to the Mug Foo Young and Banana Split Oatmeal Bowl! Plus, the servings are huge and guilt free! I couldn't believe I was eating for one! This is my first Hungry Girl experience and my only regret is not trying this sooner.
on October 27, 2012
I like that she uses "normal" food in her recipes, they are easy to make, single serving and a short list of ingredients. I can have a meal ready before I am ready to snack. I can't wait to get started.
on December 4, 2012
I've only owned this for 30 minutes and I already know I'm selling it back to Amazon since I'd pretty much lose money by sending it back for a refund. Recycled recipes, way too big, just not what I was looking for, but bought it based on all of these 5 star reviews. I'm glad it's worked out for those people, but for me it's not a good fit at all. Anyone with any degree of food creativity can come up with similar recipes. I suppose the best way to go is eat more whole foods since they fill you up better anyway and eat less processed foods. This one is loaded with processed things. Thanks, but no thanks.

Lesson learned for myself: If I desire to purchase a cookbook online make sure I've thumbed through a friend's copy first or go to a Barnes and Noble and look through it there. Amazon's prices are almost always better, but not if you're spending it on something that ends up being a dud for you. Personally, I have my grandmother's old, old cookbook from the 1930's and 1940's - while lard isn't something we use as a main ingredient these days, at least the recipes are real and can be updated on your own for current cooking practices.

All this book did hungry-wise for me is make me hunger for my money back.
on December 18, 2012
I got this book because I thought the Lightning Deal price seemed like a good deal, and I mistakenly thought that the Hungry Girl series was a "healthy" cookbook series.

I was unfamiliar with her philosophy prior to paging through this book. If you don't mind using processed foods or artificial sweeteners in your diet, then this book would probably suit you better than it did me. The recipes are all pretty low calorie. I am just not a fan of that style of food. I was hoping for recipes that were healthy and used whole, real foods to create nutritious meals.

This book is full of redundant recipes (really, only about 10 unique dishes, changed slightly to make up the rest of the recipes) and it calls for too many "fake foods". Pseudo-healthy. Not my thing at all.