5.0 out of 5 stars HG takes a new approach to pocket grocery guides
If you were looking for the usual grocery pocket guide with endless lists of brand name foods with calorie/carb/protien/fat counts - this is not it. This is a totally different type of guide.

Published on October 11, 2011 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Its Okay not Great
I love HG and have all her books but this is my least favorite. It really doesn't tell me much that the other books didn't already say. If you don't have her other books then this would be helpful. She has lots of great ideas. To me the book is redundant.
Published on November 3, 2011 by Kelly Petty

5.0 out of 5 stars HG takes a new approach to pocket grocery guides, October 11, 2011
This review is from: Hungry Girl Supermarket Survival: Aisle by Aisle, HG-Style! (Paperback)

HG goes aisle by aisle, food by food and explains in a paragraph or more why she recommends a particular brand or type of food. Let's start with the first section which is all about Dairy products. She explains the difference between reduced fat, low fat and no fat cheeses, milk and yogurts and offers the top HG recommendations for which ones to buy. She also covers pudding desserts and dessert toppings in this section.

The grocery aisle sections are as follows:

Dairy
Ice Cream and Frozen Desserts
Sauces, Salad Dressing and Shelf Stable Condiments
Beverages
Baking Products, Pantry Staples, Spices and more

In the back of the book there are a few more sections that are typical HG recommendations:

HG Top Ate Items worth ordering online
HG Essentials
Complete HG Supermarket List

Thankfully the book has an index so you can easily find any food item you want to read about. If you have followed her newsletters religiously and watched her show - especially the section when she is walking the grocery store, then you have seen it all before.

I recommend this book for die hard HG recipe lovers who like all their HG tips and tricks neatly packed into one book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shopping Healthier for Dummies, October 11, 2011
Unfortunately the phrases "whole grain", reduced fat, 50% less fat (less than what, the size that is twice as large?), low carb (it never had any anyway)and sugar-free are often misunderstood (and misused) in the supermarket aisles. Lisa has made it possible to painlessly navigate the supermarket jungle and eat healthier. By just using this handy pocket guide Hungry Girl Supermarket Survival: Aisle by Aisle, HG-Style!to make smart choices, you can take your existing recipes and make them better for you. The family won't even notice (if they aren't shopping with you). Another 10 star performance from the Hungry Girl team!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST - LITERALLY!, October 11, 2011
Received my HG Supermarket survival book this morning and I've already read most of it from cover to cover...........

I love this book for many reason, but mostly:
1) Broken down into easy to read, and easily marked categories so that you can find exactly what you're looking for - simplicity at it's best!
2) So many fantastic alternative items listed in case you have particular taste like myself.....she suggests so many options not just "stick to this or else" mentality which throws us all off our our diets to begin with....you need variety!
3) Tips for helping make your meals taste exactly like their counterparts which are loaded with fats! Too many foods that are good for you lack taste....not with HG!!
4) My favorite is that she points out the "all star" for each category which will be the most tasteful, yet the best for you........most books which are trying to teach you proper eating habits don't consider the taste of the things they suggest, they merely look at the labels (so what if you're eating cardboard, there's Zero calories!)

Overall I can't wait to try out all the goodies in this book! I'm calling my copy the Bigger Girl's Bible =

Wish me Luck!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything you need!, October 14, 2011
I am a huge HG fan, I have two of her cookbooks and follow her daily newsletter. She has been CRUCIAL to keeping my weight off (I lost 32 pounds over the span of five years) and when I heard this come out, I couldn't wait to get my hands on it.

The book is beautiful, easy to read, very colorful and full of humor. She is just like one of us, loves to eat, fascinated with food, but aims on keeping a healthy lifestyle. I love how she understands that EVERYONE is tempted by guilty foods. Not only does she give great swaps and healthy options, but she also provides the best brand and the ease of where to get the items. There's meal ideas on almost every page. LOVE the veggie/fruit A-Z guide.

Note to fellow HG fans: A lot of the stuff in the book you already know. She recommends a lot of the same brands/products she has been for years (Tofu Shirataki, Libby's Pumpkin, Laughing Cow, etc) but if you know somebody who is trying out a healthy lifestyle and doesn't know where to start, this book is it. Lisa is so down to earth and doesn't throw crazy stats in your face. Everything is easy to find and very well organized. I learned a lot about the foods I shop for everyday (peas swapping in for avocado in guacomole? Brilliant! Reduced-fat and low-fat not the same thing? Who knew?) Great addition to the HG line. Looking forward to more recipes and books from her!!

5.0 out of 5 stars For the Shopper who doesn't have 6 hours to spend at the store, October 11, 2011
This is a great guide for the shopper who doesn't have the time to read every single label and weigh out the nutritional information. This book is small enough to take in your purse or set in the shelf of a cart to refer to and great for planning your grocery list as well. I don't know about you ladies but I cannot trust my husband to go grocery shopping for me because there are certain brands I like and some that I really don't. This helps you to figure out which brands are best for not packing on pounds. It even gives suggestions for some things to do with ingredients that I normally wouldn't buy at the grocery store but sound yummy! The description also helps to inform you on some of what is in the foods so that you can customize it to whatever diet you're following. Love HG and cannot decide which of their books is my favorite but I definitely wouldn't give up any of them!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Resource, October 11, 2011
This book is a great resource. I a Hungry Girl fan and have every book of Lisa Lillian's. I wasn't sure if this one would be worth it, but it definitely is. The author realizes that while it might be ideal to eat a totally natural, organic diet with no processed foods that it's not likely to happen for most of us. So she steps in to be that "middle ground", pointing us to healthier choices, but still giving us the convenience that we've become used to. This book is laid out real nicely and organized by categories and a solid index in the back that makes it easy to find what you are looking for. There is a lot of information about all different types of food and lots of tips on taste, preparation, and best choices. It certainly is a hit with me!

4.0 out of 5 stars A convenient compilation of what you can get for free, December 7, 2011
The book is basically is compilation of many of the very same tips and shopping strategies you recieve in the Hungry Girl emails. It does, however, provide all this information in one place, is well organized for quick reference, and can easily fit in your purse to go to the market with you! It also provides quick reference for the harder to find items that some markets do not carry for online ordering ease. I picked up a copy for $10 at Barnes and Noble (around $13 without coupon and membership I believe) and feel the money was well spent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast and Easy Way to Cut Calories on Everyday Items, December 2, 2011
C. Stokely (San Antonio, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
This book is full of great calorie cutting tips when shopping for groceries. I love how it breaks out your options aisle by aisle, and it evens goes as far as telling you her preferred brands (because it often does make a big difference), including when it doesn't pay to go to the fat-free versions of things. Anyone trying to cut calories here and there would benefit from this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book!!, October 12, 2011
Dina (Cypress, Texas) - See all my reviews
I NEVER write reviews at all but I have to say this book is amazing!!! I follow weight watchers and this book is soooo helpful with helping me to stick with the program. Each chapter has amazing info on how to swap foods for healthier items and also incorporates brand recommendations. It's a definite MUST if your trying to eat healthier and lose weight!! Great job Hungry Girl!!! BTW my husband Joseph did not review this book. I did His wife Dina :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, November 19, 2011
Lots of great tips aisle by aisle from Hungry Girl. I love it. I think she is so in tune to what we need to know for good health as well as if you are on Weight Watchers. Go Hungry Girl. I don't miss your Sunday show on Food Network for anything.

Hungry Girl Supermarket Survival: Aisle by Aisle, HG-Style!
Hungry Girl Supermarket Survival: Aisle by Aisle, HG-Style! by Lisa Lillien (Paperback - October 11, 2011)
$12.99 $11.04