Facility Spring Cleaning BDD_MSW16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

on April 11, 2008
When you buy design books online, a lot of times you purchase them simply for the pretty cover and hope that the inside pages offer as much as the outside. This book far outshines the cover. As well as showing the interiors and exteriors of some of the most beautiful houses in the Hunt Country of Virginia, it serves as a historical guide to the area and a travel log for a long, leisurely trip you would like to take to see these houses, farms and incredible rolling hills.

This book offers a glimpse into a lifestyle that not everyone can live or possibly afford, but it's not pretentious. I applaud all the owners in this book for having the means to keep these gems in such great condition and for letting us peek in.
on May 4, 2008
I purchased this lovely book after a short stay in Middleburg, Virginia.
The book captures the spirit and beauty of this remarkable part of America like no other document that I have ever encountered. Highly recomended.
on May 15, 2008
I briefly previewed Hunt Country Style in a store before ordering it. When the book arrived, I was naturally able to get into it more thoroughly. Frankly, I am going to give my copy away rather than keep it on a book shelf. Although I recognize the goal of the authors, many of the rooms were simply mediocre, the settings not so well done. I have been around the Blue Grass and many parts of Virginia, and much of the decorating I saw in this book didn't strike me as being so good or in keeping with the best in those areas -- which, in fact, have some of the prettiest work anywhere in the country. Sorry to be so harsh, but the more time I spent with this book (again last evening), the more these feelings surfaced. I will say that many of the exteriors were far more fascinating than the rooms inside, and the text was insightful.
on May 6, 2008
This book does not disappoint in photography and text as it samples some beautiful Virginia Hunt Country homes and farms. A brief historical and chronological chapter heading of each featured home is included at the top of the page. The text is interesting without being tedious and there are enough beautiful photographs of each property's interiors and exteriors to leave one completely satisfied. The only fault is that on page 48 the text ends in an incomplete sentence, which appears to be a printing error.
on February 8, 2009
This book was so fulfilling. There is beauty and inspiration on every page. I became emotionally involved the moment I opened to the first page. The photography is awesome and worthy of being framed and admired on the wall. I believe that I can receive inspiration from this book on any decorating project I undertake. Buy this book and treasure it. I bought Charlotte Moss's books "A Flair for Living" and "Design Inspirations" and was totally disappointed. I was through both in a few minutes, confident that they will be of no practical use. On the shelf they go, while "Hunt Country Style" will have a place of honor on the table by my chair to be enjoyed during quiet comtemplation.
on August 25, 2008
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It is filled with beautiful photographs of this unique part of our country. I bought the book because my home is decorated in "hunt style," but found that what I loved most about it was that it was replete with history about the area. Anyone who has or has had a love affair with a horse will love the book for that reason alone.
on May 21, 2008
Beautifull book. This book explores some of the "beautifull" homes in the Middleburg area. The pictures are very well done and the written article on each house is superb. The preservation of these homes is a delight to see, especially "Welbourne" and "Oakland Green". This author has captured the "essence" of old homes in the "Northern Virginia" area.
on January 24, 2012
This book is rather well done from all aspects - presentation and layout, wonderful photography, well written, and providing a good balance of the homes origins through current ownership. It is on quality paper stock, with good binding, and uses an appealing type face which does not try to be academic nor is it fluffy with large fonts. This book by not being an oversized coffee table offering nor as thick as a phone book makes it easily held and enjoyable to revisit multiple times. Paul Rocheleau deserves tremendous recognition for the rich photography that not only captures interiors but the landscape these homes enjoy.

Hunt Country Style, in case anyone is doing comparisons, is a vastly different offering from say Vickie Moon's book 'Equestrian Style'. That book is not focused on homes but rather the various equine sport disciplines and with it the decor that accompanies followers of each. To that point the use of 'style' in the title is somewhat misleading as it's not a decoration book although visually anyone could pick up several idea from the interior shots. Instead the reader is invited to enjoy homes that are truly lived in, they are honestly decorated homes vs. stages, and more often than not working homes by people who are horse owners. The focus varies from Virginia residences in the Middleburg region to Charlottesville. All of them are private homes which makes this all the more unique.

Kathryn Masson would be well encouraged to explore a follow up offering with such additional homes such as North Wales, St. Brides, Ayrshire Farm, Canterbury, and Melrose Castle.
on May 29, 2009
Historic home interiors are fascinating to me, so I checked this book out from the library to see if it was a "keeper". Sorry to say, I'm glad I checked it out instead of buying it. From a photographer's standpoint, a number of images looked "soft", as if taken with a low resolution camera, or maybe blown up too much. As others have noted, there were numerous typos and editorial mistakes, all of which should have been caught by an efficient proofreader (they are part of the book publishing world, aren't they?).

That being said, after a while, the rooms started to all look the same. Only so much can be done with wood paneling, antique wood furniture, fabulous fabrics, and equestrian decor. A few homes stood out, but not enough to entice me to buy my own copy.

For the price tag on this, what was intended to be coffee table book, the publishers fell short of producing the quality one gets for such a price, which is why I only give it two stars.
on January 30, 2009
HCS is full of breath-taking photographs. Whether you are building a new home meant to look traditional, renovating an older home, or just enjoy design books, this should become a part of your collection. Gorgeous book containing homes in a variety of architectural styles, all reflecting America's hunt country heritage, a style harkening back to European traditions but born fresh on this continent with an unmistakable Southern hospitality. I got more than I expected with this beautiful book; I recommend it to professional designers and plain ole book lovers alike.