Hunt the Moon (Cassie Palmer)
Format: Mass Market PaperbackChange
Price:$5.87 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Format: Mass Market Paperback
Let me start out by telling you the absolute worst thing about this book: the fact that it's over. I'm finished with the darn thing and I don't know how I am going to be able to wait to find out what will happen next.

The story begins with Cassie awaiting her coronation as Pythia. Mircea has her under constant guard; Pritkin is inundating her with self-defense training. Obviously, they're taking the threat of an attack very seriously. And they're right. A mysterious force targets Cassie in an assault and no one can understand how it was done. So Pritkin goes on a journey to Faerie to see what information he can dig up.

The only time the book dragged for me was in his absence. And perhaps Mircea fans will disagree, because for 100 pages or so, it's a Mircea-thon. He accompanies Cassie back in time to see her mother. But the plans get turned asunder as Mommy is kidnapped and attacked by dark mages. The rest of the action in the book centers on keeping Cassie's mother alive and figuring out what's behind the malevolent force targeting Cassie, herself.

But to me, all of that is window dressing for the fantastic interpersonal stuff that happens in this book. Cassie still isn't sure where she stands with Mircea and that confusion is compounded by his insistence on inflicting his will upon her. We get little more insight into his feelings for her as the book progresses. But where the story really shines is when the focus is on Cassie and Pritkin. He comes through for her time and time again; he is reliable; he is constant; he is selfless; and the sexual tension between them is Oh-My-God out of this world. Every book, I find myself wondering if this will be the one where Cassie realizes what she means to him --and what he means to her... Will this be the one where they finally, er, do the deed? I won't spoil you with the answers, but the journey is amazing and riveting.

A couple of the action sequences were just a bit too long for my taste, and the mythological motivations explaining the main story arc were a bit complicated. But the climax was fantastic. And the ending left me gutted. We've got a big cliffhanger here; a powerful one. And I don't want to wait! Karen Chance, you are a cruel woman. I don't even know when the next book comes out. 5 stars.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 10, 2011
Format: Mass Market Paperback
I am a huge fan of the Cassie Palmer Series and could not wait to read Hunt The Moon! Unfortunately, I found myself skipping through pages, as there were just too many action scenes for my liking. I understand that as Pythia & with death attempts abound, action scenes were bound to fill up parts of the book -- but in this case, they filled up the entire book. I missed the funny bantering back and forth between Cassie/Mircea, Cassie/Pritkin, and Mircea/Pritkin. While the ending left another cliffhanger (for which I hope we don't have wait another two years for), I just found myself not quite enjoying this installment as much as the last ones. Poor Cassie could not catch a break in this novel and I felt that the focus on action scenes was overkill. While, I do look forward to reading the next book....this has definitely been my least favorite.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 15, 2011
Format: Mass Market Paperback
I didn't think it could get any worse after the last book. In CURSE THE DAWN we had Keystone Cops (Vegas Strip car chase/limo fight) meets Harry Potter (body switching and high flying then deep sea diving car chase) and ending with Pirates of the Caribbean (flying mast ship complete with fight scene). It got worse.

At the end of the last book it looked like heroine Cassie finally got the big picture and would buckle down and learn as much as possible about being Pythia. You'd think going forward in HUNT THE MOON she'd ask questions of all and sundry, pick up a magic book, get deadly serious about self defense and identify as much as possible about countering spells - especially the ones already thrown her way. Nope. TSTL Cassie complains and whines ABOUT EVERYTHING but does nothing to improve her or her situation. Her "boo-hoo, woe-is-me" is grating and irritating and makes her extremely unlikeable.

The endless fight and chase scenes just got boring and monotonous and each book introduces more "god like" bad guys to ensure future books filled with more of the same. I find the secondary characters of Billy the Ghost, Pritkin and Francoise so much more interesting and likeable than either Mircea or Cassie. When you read each chapter hoping that someone removes the heroine's head and stakes the hero, it's probably time to find something better to do with your reading time.
on June 12, 2011
Format: Mass Market PaperbackVerified Purchase
In the previous book, Cassie did the impossible by defeating a god bent on destroying everyone. Yet no one seems to want to give her the respect she deserves. In fact, the opposite is true in that almost everyone is trying to find a way to kill her. She spends her days dodging assassination attempts as well as trying to get a handle on her abilities as pythia. Meanwhile things are confusing as ever when it comes to Mircea and what really is between them. Things take a turn for the worse when one of those assassination attempts it close to home as they try to take her mother out before Cassie is even born. She'll need a whole lot more than luck to make it out of this mess alive.

The triangle between Cassie, Pritkin, and Mircea became much more prevalent in these books. What makes the situation different is that Cassie doesn't quite realize her real feelings for Pritkin, so you don't have the typical angst issues found in most triangles. I am honestly not sure who I am rooting for at this point as both men are good for her in their own way. The chemistry between Mircea and Cassie is incredible and he has always been the only one to give her any stability in her entire life. However, when you take a step back and look at things he technically trapped her into the relationship. Mircea is used to getting his way, and life with him would be a constant battle of wills despite her love for him. He will do something that will turn me off of him, but then turn around and show some vulnerability in the next moment that draws me right back in. Pritkin on the other hand comes with his own mess of troubles due to his heritage and nature. I'm not even sure a relationship could even be possible between them, but if they could make it work it would be more than worth it in the end. Pritkin is so fiercely loyal and never tries to undermine her authority. It is completely obvious just how much he cares even if he doesn't feel he deserves her. She has a hard road of choices ahead of her with no easy answer, and I cannot wait to see where things go.

Hunt the Moon was in many ways a book about character growth as it was plot progression. There were countless revations about different character's histories, giving us a good incite into how those events shaped then. Also by revealing those personal bits to Cassie, she was able to open up her heart to them even more. Cassie herself learns some pretty interesting things about her own heritage, but you will just have to read Hunt the Moon to find out what those revelations were.

Cassie sure takes a lot of lickins but always seems to find a way to keep on tickin. The odds against her are incredible and a lessor person would have long crumbed under the pressure. You would think that after five books the constant threats would start to feel a little stale, but that definitely is not the case in Hunt the Moon. Karen Chance does a phenominal job at keeping the books both fresh and action packed. Each new book shows new revaltions and only sucks me in further. Fans of the series cannot possibly be disappointed in this latest installment, and I am already looking to the next book. Hopefully the wait won't be two long as I cannot a it for my next Pritkin and Mircea fix. Major kudos to Ms. Chance!
on July 11, 2011
Format: Mass Market Paperback
Karen Chance is an amazing writer. But I found in this book (more than the others) that Casandra Palmer was utterly intolerable. Cassie "woes me" attitude and lack of motivation irked me. Furthermore, she was stubborn at the worse times, isn't there imminent danger? Near the end, she finally found her strength but by that point I already gave up on the book. I simply wished for Cassie to have found her strength earlier.
Another issue with the book was the lack of actual connection. When the men are with her, she seems to find her libido and sense of emotion towards them. But she seemed to forget them when they're out of sight. Even after claiming to love Mircea, she still doesn't quite mention him after the Pritkin incident. Ultimately, I found her character unrelateable.
on February 27, 2012
Format: Mass Market PaperbackVerified Purchase
After reading the first three Cassie Palmer books, I noticed a trend, which didn't bother me so much with the first two books, but had gotten old by book 3. Karen Chance writes seemingly nonstop, harrowing action sequences in which the heroine, Cassie is constantly in danger, on the verge of losing her life, while getting utterly rumpled, filthy, and smelly in the process. I can understand that a lot of enemies have it for Cassie and want to forcibly remove her from her position of Pythia, but PLEASE, it's TOO TOO MUCH! I'd love to see where the love triangle is going between Cassie, Pritkin, and Mircea, without it being in the framework endless attempts on her life and nonstop violent action. It's almost like the action sequences are "filler" for the books much in the same way that Laurell K. Hamilton uses sex as filler in her books (which was very sad because the Anita Blake series started off great).
on June 19, 2011
Format: Mass Market PaperbackVerified Purchase
So much non stop action, that I started skipping pages. Not very much of a story line. The constant time shifting was very confusing. I do like the two male lead roles, but Cassie is just a cry baby. Not sure if I'll pre-order the next book.
on June 13, 2011
Format: Mass Market Paperback
I really want to know if the writer has a failed ambition to be a Nascar driver. First we had the last book which was nothing but car chase scenes, now we have this book which is nothing but car chase scenes, oh and horse drawn car chase scenes, and oh car and train and cart chase scenes. I skipped several "action" sequences, because they were basically all the same thing. The low budget, action flick car chase scene. Can we freaking just get on with it.

When the writer wasn't living her race car driver dreams vicariously through her character, a lot of interesting stuff actually did happen. I enjoy the dynamic between Cassie and Pritkin, but I am tired of her letting Mircea ride roughshod over what she wants, and rather than booting his butt to the curb, she just whines at him. At least this time, she didn't knuckle under like the pansy she is, but I really hate when a female character is rendered to gibbering stupidity in front of a controlling man simply because she wants to get in his pants. Because all women really are brainless bimbos controlled by their naughty bits, don't you know?

Basically this book felt like a whole lot of nothing, that led up to the last 40 pages or so. And also, I will admit I cannot remember offhand, but does Cassie have magical healing abilities I can't remember reading about? Because she gets her butt chewed time and time again, and is bouncing around the next day like nothing happened. And since the writer made a point of showing Mircea healing her in this one yet the day before that scene, she's literally gotten her butt shredded and is sitting and jumping and dancing all the next day like nothing? Say what?
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 21, 2011
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
Hunt The Moon is the 4th in the continuing story of Cassandra Palmer, God slayer, Pythia, and seer. It has taken a few years for Chance to come out with a new book in this series, and perhaps that is due to the inability for her to chose a long time partner for Cassie.

The story line is still enjoyable if not a little repetitive with the attack's. However, I was happy to see that Cassie had had a truly orgasmic experience with Pritkin. (Though I like Mircea better, but that's just me.)

Someone is attacking not only Cassie, but her mother as well. How is that even possible when Cassie's parents are both dead? By shifting back in time and seeing it for herself. At first she thinks that her mother has been kidnapped by a crazy war mange, but discovers that this is not the case. The mange is actually helping her mother, helping to protect her. After all, Cassie's mother is a . . . , and the mange helping her is actually Cassie's father.

I would like to have seen a little more in regards to Cassie finding out who her father was, and perhaps a little more time for her to actually talk to her mother instead of so much time on the action parts. I think the general audience will be looking for more in depth feelings and interactions between the characters. Mircea's confession of love is a fantastic start.

3 of 5 stars
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
The Hunt Is On.

Poor pitiful Pythia just can't seem to catch a break. No, as it turns out killing a god only makes one's life more difficult. If you are unfortunate enough to be apart of Karen Chance's world, killing a god brings the crazies out. And gunning for you. But the accidental Pythia's pain is our pleasure in Chance's much anticipated fifth installment from the Cassie Palmer series, perfectly titled Hunt the Moon.

Being the chief clairvoyant is tough when half the magical community wants to replace you, and the other half doesn't respect you. It's even harder when you don't feel like the rightful heir. But Cass is going to have to get out of her own way and learn quickly because a group of mages are dead set on killing her mother. Of course it just wouldn't be right if Cassie's life wasn't in danger as well. I mean it is the least we've come to expect. This time Cassie and crew don't have a clue what they're dealing with, an entity capable of possession, invisibility, and immune to Pritkin's usual assortment of potions. Basically Cassie is screwed, since you can't plan a proper defense if you don't know what your up against. Then there's the three part prophecy that started with killing Apollo. Because Cassie doesn't have enough to deal with. And Chance want's to solidify her standing as a sadist (where her characters are involved).

Cassie will have to prove how resilient she is as she unravels her mother's past, and her fathers identity. By the end Cassie finds her place in the world and just how right she is for the Pythia job.

Hunt the Moon was fast-paced and funny. Chance maintains standards like witty dialogue and a great supporting cast. I thought there was too much Mircea and not in a good way. He was really controlling and overbearing. I guess I'm more of a fan of Pritkin, though I don't know how that happened. After the first book I wondered why he wasn't dead yet. I wanted to kill him myself. But the sneaky little bastard grew on me somewhere within the last three books. And even though he was significantly less featured in this book he still managed to out shine Mircea.

A highly entertaining hunt, you can't miss. Pritkin will make an exquisite sacrifice with a stunning ending that will leave you wanting the next novel NOW.