4.0 out of 5 stars good book
I just read all five books in the last three weeks. I didn't exactly love Marked but it did leave me wanting to find out more and I have to say that with every book that comes out the story just keeps getting better and better. Cant wait for the next one.

***Spoiler Alert***

There is just one thing that keeps disappointing me. Everytime Zoey hurts...
Published on March 14, 2009 by Athina

1.0 out of 5 stars Horribly repetitive
Published on April 23, 2009 by Mali

1.0 out of 5 stars Horribly repetitive, April 23, 2009
I have read the previous books in this series, and in the last one,I had started to get annoyed at Zoey's backwards maturing. Every decision she makes is stupider than the last. We thought Zoey had learned her lesson about hooking up with every single guy who showed her interest and realized she messed up a great thing with Eric. She starts out whining about how much she mises him and she's sorry for the mistakes she made. Not even a day later, she's hooking back up with her brainless human ex, who has all the charm of a drunken frat boy, and the maturity of a pre-teen. Cut to days later and she's hooking up with Stark again. If Loren were to come back from the dead and apologize to her for using her, I completely believe she's jump right back into his bed too. What is most seriously appalling, is that moments after getting back together with Eric, she coldheartedly goes back to Heath right in front of Eric, and expects them to understand that she has more important things to do than think about her feelings for them. Even worse, it's okay with them!
This was a seriously disappointing continuation that seems more like a desperate attempt to release a new book without any story to back it. Zoey has no morals and limited concern for anyone but herself.
In this book, they have finally escaped the House of Night only to return again with no plan..again because of Zoey's childish and selfish mistakes.
Frusterated, disgusted, and unable to read anymore about Zoey, I flipped to the back to the ending with the hope that MAYBE things change. They don't and she adds another man-slave to her collection of "my boys" as she calls them.
I am so glad I got this from the library, a little curious why there was no waiting list, but very relieved that I can literally throw this into the shoot and never see it again. I don't care if there is another attempt at continuing the series. I'm done.
There comes a time in book series, television series where there is just nowhere to go with it and it is ended or canceled. To the publishing company: please cancel this trainwreck.

1.0 out of 5 stars Ugh. (But, if you've made it this far...), July 26, 2009
I am fairly certain that this entire book was written on the back of several paper napkins on the bus ride to the publisher's...

More than half the book takes place in the tunnels and seems to consist mostly of filler babble. The most interesting thing that happens in the tunnels resulted from a risk that was very unlikely to have been taken, given the circumstances, so it seemed very convenient and gratuitous.

The book is chalk-full of bad writing, horrible editing errors (multiple cases of character confusion... saying Darius when they mean Damien, for example), and continuity errors. The Casts are so obsessed with trying to make these characters seem like "normal teenagers" that they come across seeming shallow and moronic. I mean, what teenager in their right mind is going to be thinking about what boy they want to kiss when the world as they know it is crumbling around them?

A fantastic example of the sloppy and embarrassing writing is when the writers devote an inordinate amount of time talking about the girls' cute purses, which they must be sure not to leave behind in the tunnels. Given the fact that in book four, the girls fled the HoN mid-ritual-circle and unable to break their hand holds as dangerous chaos erupted behind them, it seems unlikely anyone was worried about something as trivial as a freaking CUTE purse. Not to mention the fact that they would have had to have been holding their purses throughout the whole ritual in the first place, which also seems very unlikely (if not downright LAME).

The characters continue to be an unnerving mix of endearing and annoying qualities. The twins are still unbelievable cartoon characters, Zoey is still the self-conflicting love-obsessed-horny-but-I-don't-wanna-be-a-ho she was in the other books, and Hunted comes with the added bonus of a really embarassingly racist portrayal of an African-American girl who is the polar opposite of Shaunee.

As the icing on the cake comes from the return of the love triangle. If you weren't already sick and tired of Zoey's constantly shifting and conflicting affection, you will be very tired of it after this book. And, just like in Marked, Heath-- despite his earlier and rather vehement rejection of Zoey, makes a mind-numbingly unlikely and painfully gratuitous re-appearance which will leave you wanting to rip your book in two.

BUT... having said that...

If you've made it through the first four books, you might as well keep going and read this one, too. As with the first four books, despite how earth-shatteringly bad the writing is, you can wade through all of the embarassing and poorly written crap and somewhere beneath you'll find the makings of interesting and endearing characters, and a compelling plot.

It'd be kind of like rummaging through a dump... it's trashy, smelly, embarassing, and downright awful, but somewhere beneath all the garbage there are little treasures waiting to be discovered. It takes a lot of work, and for most people it's not worth it, but if you can stomach it you might find something worth keeping.

Oh, to go back in time and encourage the publisher to hire a GOOD writer to write this series. If they had, they might have really had a true gem and a rival for Twilight on their hands.

1.0 out of 5 stars Four hours of my life that I will never get back..., May 16, 2009
I can safely say that this is the worst book I have ever read. While somewhat cheesy and predictable, I enjoyed the first four books of the series. However, I can not say how extremely disaappointed I was in this book. Never before in this series has it been so apparent that an adult was trying to write for teens. The characters have no development and the use of blind teen and racial stereotypes runs rampant. All black characters speak in what I can only assume is Cast's idea of ebonics, all male characters are only interested in sex and fighting, and the gay characters are weak, feminine, and only care about fashion. This book was written to fill a deadline. Period.

2.0 out of 5 stars Bad book in an inconsistent series, May 25, 2009
This is the fifth book in the House of Night series; all in all this series has been very inconsistent. The third book was kind of ho-hum, the fourth book was excellent, and the fifth book, well, it kind of sucked.

In this book Zoey and friends are hiding in the tunnels with Stevie Rae and her red fledglings. Somehow they need to get back into the House of Night to face Neferet and Kalona and somehow break the influence they are having on the vampires and fledglings of the House of Night.

The above is basically the whole story. Sadly the first 2/3's of the story are spent in the tunnels with not a whole lot happening. Zoey spends a lot of time whining about Erik being too possessive. Then, of course, Zoey has to get involved with Heath...again. And because Zoey wouldn't have enough to whine about without being involved in a love triangle, Stark is drug into the picture too. This story felt like it was almost a repeat of the third book; at least in the relationship aspects. Seriously nothing exciting actually happens until the last section of the book. This section was pretty good and dealt with Zoey and friends going back to the House of Night and facing Neferet and Kalona.

This has been a very inconsistent series for me. Some of the books I love and some I hate. I feel that there has been more hate than love for this series for me. There are so many interesting things that could be happening with these characters and this world; it seems though that the majority of page space islent to Zoey so she can whine about relationship troubles. All of her whining makes me think that maybe she is not the special Priestess that everyone thinks she is; I mean she is one of the weakest heroines I have ever read about.

I had a tough time getting through this book. I am finding that I don't really care about many of the characters all that much. The plot wasn't very exciting or griping. Believe it or not I though Aphrodite was my favorite character of this book; her actions are much more heroic than any of the others. I am not sure I will read the 6th book. My overall reaction when I finished this book was, "Thank goodness I am done, I can read something good now!"

Sorry this is such a scalding review, but I am sooo disappointed that this series can't be more consistent!

1.0 out of 5 stars Filler book to make more money?, March 25, 2009
I was incredibly disappointed with this latest House of Night installment. It came across as a blatant filler book to prolong a series that could have been a trilogy at best. I really loved the first few books- but these last two have been full of recaps and reminders of what happened previously, and spoon feeding the obvious to the reader. I know this is written for a YA audience, but YA are not idiots who forget everything that happened instantly- and need a full book to remind them.
Nothing big happens, the same old problems surface again (enough boy issues already! Can something be resolved? It's been 5 books) and I'm tempted to just give up on this series all together. Do I really want to waste more of my money on a 3rd recap book?

1.0 out of 5 stars Who the crap is Stark??????, July 1, 2009
What I mean is that in walks this guy and in his first day he falls for Zoey..........and she for him?????? It just doesn't make any sense to me. The repetitiveness was just to much. I found myself skipping paragraphs cause I already knew all this information. And Erik totally gives her another chance and here she goes again. Putting someone that injured her best friend before him. And Heath again??????? Are you serious. He doesn't fit in her life and his character is boring. Here comes this guy that just wants her to suck his blood. All the time? And hurry up and reveal Stevie Rae's "dark secret" or whatever it is. It's getting old. Then they have that completely unnecessary shower scene!?!?!? WTF was that?!?!?!? Definitely worst book of the series. There is just so much I don't like. One thing that I did like though was..................wait..............damn I forgot............

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Horrible, March 16, 2009
I have very low standards when it comes to judging popular fiction - especially popular fiction intended for teenagers. I have always viewed the genre as a rather simple form of entertainment and try to judge it as such. Likewise, when I read young adult fiction I always keep in mind that I am actually seven to ten years beyond the intended audience. That being said, the most recent novel in the "House of Night" series is atrocious. The quality of the writing - which was not great to begin with - seemed to deteriorate as the series proceeded, and the latest installment supports this observation. Mrs. and Miss Cast seem to have very little faith in their readers, and as such write far below the typical expectations of the genre. Despite her reported intelligence (and other positive qualities), Zoey Redbird is written like a thirteen-year-old as opposed to the seventeen-year-old she is supposed to be. The text itself moves awkwardly between standard fiction and the amateur scrawling of an overly romantic and naive preteen, and the first twenty pages or so of the novel are completely useless. The language itself, which is intended to create a sense of familiarity for young readers, is already dated and out of touch, and it won't be long before it will completely fail to connect readers to the characters. While the conclusion is more satisfying than previous novels, "Hunted" does little more than illustrate the weaknesses obvious in previous novels, and will do little to recommend any further additions.

1.0 out of 5 stars How Do You Solve a Problem Like Mah... Um, Zoey, November 4, 2009
Lady Dedlock (Rhode Island, USA) - See all my reviews
I am seriously irritated with this book/series.

I don't usually read young adult books, so nitially the reason i started reading this was on a recommendation of a friend, whom had also recommended the Twilight Saga, and Harry Potter, i thought this would be just as good. How sad, that i went from such brilliant work like the HP series, to this crappolla in parchment.

Shall we count the wrongs in this book AND entire series?!

Let's see:

1. Zoey is a ho, there is no gettting around it. What's more, I find it funny that Aphrodite is supposedly the slut, because she wears "ho-ish" clothes, although up until now she has only been with two men (keep in mind Zo the Ho is up to 4... or is it 5 by now?!?!) She is also the WEAKEST character i have ever read about. Not to mention, immature.

2. Heath is a pain in the arse. To me he is only in the book to illustrate the lack of intellect of most teenage boys. He truly has no reason to be in this story, since he was suppose to have been gone by the time she entered the HON. He needs to exit the scene, NOW. Also, it seems he's only on here to add a bit of gore/erotic/cheap/taudry/romance novel taste to the plot.

3. The repetitive flow to this story is torturous. Skipped most of the book, which helped me finish this plotless mess quicker. Perhaps that's the highlight of reading this. But i digress, anyway... i believe JK Rowling stopped repeating herself in her books, i believe by book 3, which makes sense. By that time you KNOW the story. And at least for JK, that probably would have worked since her plots were SO extensive.

4. The dialogue is SO annoying. Do teenagers really speak this way? I know i have been out of Hormone Land for some time now, but neither me, nor any of my friends ever spoke like this. Plus, my baby sister is seventeen and she does not speak this way, so what's the excuse for it. At the very least, this sort of choppy writting should be reserved for the dialogue parts of the book only. It's so choppy, and makes it so hard to read it in an easy flowy manner.

5. There are SO many grammatical, and character plotline errors. Who is your editor?! Fire the moron, stat!

6. These characters are not even worth getting to know. They're all the stereotype. How about making Kramisha a poet, who loves to shop and is well spoken and articulate?!?! I suppose that is beyond the writting capacity of Mrs and Miss cast. Which is saying alot, since they lack majorly in that department.

7. Lastly, and most obvious, there is NO plotline in this book. Sure there are some good points and i like a lot of the Wicca related rituals and so forth. But, that alone does not compensate for the rest of the mess that is this series.

The publishers need to stop feeding into this insanity and publish anything futher of this story. But of course, that won't be the case. It's like a drug. If there is demand, there will surely be supply.

Unfortunately, a new book is out and i am ashamed to say i am once again reading the sixth book. I am now up to chapter 6, and as you may have guessed NOTHING has happened, and yes... Zo remains a Ho. It's like a bad scab you cannot seem to stop picking at. You just can't help yourself. I suppose it's more curiosity than anything else.

At least, there's Aphrodite and her quirks to keep me going throughout the book. She's unexpectably become my only favorite character. And, i have a feeling that once Zo the Ho grows up, Stark is the one who will stop her from shoving her tongue down every male that crosses her way. Unfortunately, i suppose i'm only adding the fire, they'll just keep realeasing more of this crap, by buying another book, but as i said, "bad scab"

Finally, I have read some bad books in my past, but this is perhaps the worse. Please put us out of our misery and finish this.

1.0 out of 5 stars Get on with it..., September 8, 2009
J. Lukito "l31ru" (Natick, MA United States) - See all my reviews
I wish there is less paragraphs repeating and re-repeating everything that has happened so far from previous books. I find myself skipping alot of these fillers. Give the readers a reward for having followed the book from the beginning.

And I agree with some of the reviewers regarding Zoey and her boyfriends. This seems to be a repeat except let's replace the dead guy with an undead. Does she has to have a boyfriend from each creature?(vampyre, undead, human, fallen angel?) And why does Zoey keep trying to convince herself that she is no "ho"/"skank" when she is clearly gets attracted to almost all the male characters in the book that is not gay (and acted on it)? Just pick one and get on with it!

I'm beginning to like the character aphrodite a whole lot more. At least she is honest.

1.0 out of 5 stars horrible!!, March 30, 2009
I picked up the first four books of this series just for something light to read. Nothing special, and I find alot of it irritating and empty, but decided to read the fifth book out of curiosity. What a waste of time. I could barely force myself to finish it. Zoey is a shallow, dense, poor excuse of a teenager. She is supposed to be intelligent and "special" but she shows none of that. Ever. She throws herself at any male that even looks her way. If it were the least bit realistic none of them would still be wasting time on such an idiotic little twit. The "boyfriends" story line is irritating and old, the same old nonsense. Another thing I really cannot stand with this series is the stereotypical way the characters are portrayed. The girls are dimwitted, silly and have no depth. The poor homosexual boys are made out in the worst light, its written like the authors have never even met someone who is gay. It's embarrassing. Kramisha, a black girl, is made to sound poorly educated and "ghetto" in a teeth-grinding pull your hair out annoying manner. If this is how Kristin Cast made the book familiar for teens and easy to relate to, she must have been raised in a box with no friends. There is nothing to these flimsy, poorly written characters who are supposedly something special. Please, both of you quit while you can and don't continue this series.

Hunted: A House of Night Novel (House of Night Novels)
Hunted: A House of Night Novel (House of Night Novels) by P. C. Cast (Paperback - March 16, 2010)
$9.99 $9.18