Hunter 44550 Auto Save 7-Day Programmable Thermostat
Price:$41.99 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on May 16, 2007
Verified Purchase
The manual was very thorough, and the setup was a breeze. It has a ton of advertised features, I found the following VERY useful:

1. The battery replacement cover is on the front (you do not have to take out the whole unit or take screw out to replace batteries

2. The 1 touch backlight is very convenient to look things up at night

3. The ability to program the device off the wall while sitting down comfortably with the manual and pieces of paper is convenient

4. The one touch feature to tell the device that you home for the day wthout other intervention is convenient.

other than that, what can I say? it works!
Verified Purchase
'Tis the part of the year when temperatures here range between freezing and 85 degrees, sometimes during the same day. It was a continuous hassle, turning on the heat or turning on the A/C, trying to keep the kids from having pneumonia or the chinchillas passing away from the heat.

My son and I installed this thermostat in about 20 minutes. The directions are very comprehensive, and when it says read through them *before* installation, they are correct - RTFM!

As for the thermostat, it has performed well. We set a range for it to stay within, and it does that without any problem. Switches between A/C and heat as needed without our intervention. A great feature is the Home button, which allows you to move to the warmest (heat) or coolest (A/C) setting on days when you are home (or are just too darned cold). Otherwise, set it and forget it - no need for seasonal (or daily) adjustments.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 24, 2007
I purchased the model 44459 4 years ago, which essentially is the same unit. My basis for the selection was the indiglo feature. This is one that most of the other similar priced units did not have.
To my suprise, I found the energy and filter monitoring features to be most usefull. The energy monitor allowed me to track my usage in both summer and winter, and to see how much the other upgrades to the house made a difference in energy savings. The front access to the battery is also usefull, although I changed the battery this year for the first time in 4 years.
Well, this morning, I found that my heat would not turn off, and the thermostat was stuck in the on position. I performed all normal troubleshooting procedures to no avail. I spoke directly with a Hunter Tech Support agent, who agreed with me, the unit went bad. She put me on hold for about 10 minutes, and when she returned, she informed me that my unit was no longer under warranty (which I knew, just wanted to get repaired). To my supprise, she offered a one-time courtesy replacement of the unit, NO CHARGE! All they ask is that I pay for return postage of the bad unit. She even offered to expedite the order, so that I would not be without heat for very long!
Now, I am not saying that they will extend this to everybody, but I was highly impressed with the way they stand behind their product. When I looked at the specs between my unit, and this one, which they are sending to me, they are exact! Even the owner's manual is the same!
I have been very pleased with the unit, and have grown to love the features. Home Today, Hold, and ease of programming features a plus. It even has a keypad lock function to keep the kids from messing with the temp settings.
Great value and features for the price. Highly reccomended!!!
on October 15, 2007
Verified Purchase
I purchased this product following a recommendation from Consumer Reports and extensively reading consumer comments on Amazon. We are VERY pleased with the thermostat! My husband was a little bit anxious on whether he could replace the unit himself (decided to do it on a weekday so that back-up could be called if needed). He was surprised how easy it was to replace the unit.

We especially like the automatic change-over between heat and A/C. Since it's not uncommon in the fall to go from very chilly nights to very warm days, we were constantly shifting the thermostat back and forth. With this unit, you no longer have to do that. You simply set your heat temperature for wake-up, leave the house, return home, go to bed, and then do the same with your A/C temperature. The unit automatically engages the right unit at the right time -- it's amazing!

Also, the unit is very easy to program and does NOT make any noises when it turns on and off. This is an excellent choice -- you won't be disappointed!

UPDATE:
10/9/2013: Product Update - 6 years later and thermostats are still working perfectly. Batteries need replacement about once a year so that the lovely little light works when we adjust the thermostat. Have not had a single issue with them. Still a 5-Star product !!!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 4, 2007
Verified Purchase
We wanted to cut back on costs as well as use less energy, so we researched programmable thermostats and chose this one based on the good reviews. After installing the thermostat and using it for a few days, I can say that we are VERY pleased and that it lives up to the good reviews. It came with everything needed to install as well as very detailed instructions on installation and on using the many customization features. It's tedious to set all of your daily options - I mean, you have the option of setting four different programs a day! - but after it's set, it's very easy to just let it go and you only need to hit one or two buttons to override without changing your saved settings. It also doesn't reset your features if the batteries go dead, which is good to know.
on March 8, 2007
Verified Purchase
Once this unit is programmed it virtually operates itself, while saving you on your energy costs. The "Home Today" feature allows you to overide programming with the touch of a single button, keeping your home warm or cool as required for the day, when you may be home from work or school. It thens automatically reverts back to the programming cycle, with no input required from the user.

Keeps you comfortable, saves you money, easy to install and program and virtually hands free operation; need I say more! Well yes one more thing it costs lees than $50.00 which you will save in energy costs in about two months.
on February 1, 2007
Verified Purchase
I have had several programmable thermostats, like White, Honeywell, etc...and this one by Hunter is really good. I bought a Honeywell 2-day/5-day unit last year, and it was difficult to program, and after I programmed it, it had a mind of its own. I am a electronics tech, and am very technical. This Hunter unit is very easy to program and works great. I havn't had to touch it since I programmed it, last month. Just a graet unit, and the price is very good thru Amazon. $79 in Lowe's I think.
on April 7, 2007
Verified Purchase
I don't know why I waited so long to upgrade my home thermostats. I can already see the savings in my electricity bill. The Hunter 44550 provides excellent flexibility to maximize electrical savings for my home. I have begun to track our system usage while continuing to modify both of our air-conditioning systems, maintaining our family's comfort while providing greater efficiency. They were easy to set up and are easy to use. I am 100 % satisfied with both of my thermostats.
VINE VOICEon February 6, 2010
Verified Purchase
My boyfriend salvaged a Hunter 44550 from a property he was renovating. It sat around in his warehouse for a few years, and then got installed at home. Since it was just what happened to be on hand, I didn't really think about whether or not I liked its features. Until it gave up the ghost after about two months. Hard to know whether it quit prematurely or not, since I don't know anything about its life prior to the few years it sat in the warehouse.

Anyway, the contractor/electrician who'd done work on my house when I first bought it had recommended going with a Honeywell, so when I started researching to buy a new programmable thermostat, I was sure that's what I wanted. I hesitated after seeing the prices and the reviews, though, and so started looking further into the features of the various options.

This Hunter 44550 can do seven different programs, or just be used as a 5-2. It's waaaay cheaper than the Honeywell 7-days. I really only need 5-2, but like the flexibility should I need it in the future. It's very easy to program initially, whether you're doing it as a seven-day or as a 5-2, at least with the help of the cheat sheet printed right on the inside of the cover. I did need to refer to the manual to figure out how to do a permanent hold, but it's not complicated (hold the "Hold" button for a long time).

I think the thing that really sold me on getting this one again is the "Home Today" button. Hit it either during the wake-up interval or during the day, and thermostat is set to whatever you normally have it at when you're home. No manually setting it before the second interval starts, then realizing that it's freaking cold because the program took over at 8 o'clock anyway, or setting it and holding, then realizing in the middle of the night that the temperature never lowered again because you forgot to release the hold.

This does sort of have an energy usage function -- it'll tell you how many hours in the current day, previous day, current week, and previous week the heat has been on. I haven't used this feature except to glance at it out of curiosity every so often. I have radiators, so I've never looked into whether or not it has a filter-change reminder, and I don't have AC, so I've never used it for that.

It also has an auto-recovery function (though it can be turned off via a switch on the back). It's not clear to me if the thermostat "learns" how long it's going to take to get the house up to the desired temp at the right time, or if it just starts at some pre-set interval before the programmed time, but it does a pretty good job, although when it's very cold it doesn't always make it all the way. I may adjust back by 20 minutes or so to make up for it. (As a side note, this thing does only ten-minute increments, which is fine with me; hard to imagine that I'd ever need it to be set to the minute, and it makes scrolling through the time options much faster.)

It's pretty easy to install, as it's of the style with a plate that gets screwed on first, then the thermostat itself snaps onto that. It requires a small screwdriver, but not so small that a reasonably well-equipped homeowner wouldn't have one on hand. There are several contractor options that can be selected only via switches in the back of the thermostat (only accessible if it's removed from the wall), including increment (standard is -1/+1, alt is -1/+2), 12 hour or 24 hour time, and some others that I couldn't imagine using and so don't remember. There's also something on the back that has to be done if you're using it with a single-stage heat pump, but I don't really know what that's all about. I assume it means you can use it with a single-stage heat pump. :-)

All in all, I'm very happy with this thermostat, but I'm hesitant to recommend it without reservation since the first one I had died. That said, I'm inclined to believe that it was not indicative of the general quality of the product, so for its ease-of-use, *very* favorable price, and excellent functionality, it gets four stars.
on November 15, 2007
Verified Purchase
We purchased the Hunter 44550 a month ago to replace one of the old round non-digital thermostats and the Hunter has been very easy to use. The installation was fairly easy; I encountered a slight problem because the thermostat I was replacing did not have the wires labeled. Fortunately the Hunter installation manual had some wiring diagrams in the appendix and I was able to figure it out. Programming the thermostat is very easy - much easier than another "H-brand" digital thermostat that we have in our house. The one down side to the Hunter unit is the quality of the backing plate that mounts to the wall. The plate flexes more than it probably should, hence I am only rating it 4-stars. The thermostat we have from the other "H-brand" seems sturdier, but not as easy to program. Minor gripe aside, I would buy this Hunter thermostat again (and I plan to because we have one more thermostat to replace).

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations