4.0 out of 5 stars Quiet fan moves air well, has low profile, is attractive
Published on September 13, 2008 by J. Crouch

2.0 out of 5 stars Fan works well- but this one rusts...
Published 23 months ago by Joel Robinson

4.0 out of 5 stars Quiet fan moves air well, has low profile, is attractive, September 13, 2008
This review is from: Hunter 83001 Riazzi Bathroom Fan with Light and Nightlight, Brushed Nickel (Tools & Home Improvement)
I was searching for an attractive replacement for my previous bathroom light/fan combo that had a decidedly utilitarian look. I found that Hunter makes the best selection of decorative light/fan units, and this one has the most powerful fan of all the ones they offer. I was concerned that the fan might be too loud, but I got this one anyway because I needed a fan that would really move air well since we were having trouble with condensation and mildew in the bathroom. I was pleased to find that noise is not a problem at all. The fan is actually quieter than my old fan, and it is much more powerful. When I am in the bathroom I can hear it running, but it is not loud enough to be bothersome. Outside in the hallway, I don't notice the sound. It does its job of drying out the bathroom after a shower very well.

I have two relatively minor points of criticism. (1) When the light is on, you can clearly see the shadows of brackets and other internal parts of the fan through the glass band that runs along the side of the unit. This is not aesthetically pleasing. Perhaps if the side glass was thicker, the shadows would have a fuzzier, more diffuse appearance and would be less noticeable. (2) We were not able to use the nightlight function because we only have two switches on the wall and we didn't want to run new wiring in the bathroom. Rarely do I see a bathroom with three wall switches, so I suspect others may find this to be a problem as well. We could have chosen to wire the nightlight so that it would come on with either the fan or the main light, but it was hard to see what the benefit of that would be. A nice addition would be an electronic eye that turns the nightlight on when the room is dark.

2.0 out of 5 stars Fan works well- but this one rusts..., March 10, 2013
We are on our third Hunter "Riazzi" fan. The electrical and mechanical parts work fine, are reliable, are reasonably quiet, and remove water vapor effectively. Why the 2 stars then? They rust horribly, completely, and in surprisingly little time (see attached pic). These things are the worst. The motor itself and it's housing- they do not rust at all- it's the part of the unit that is connected to the ceiling. If it's made of metal- it's rust-coated (yet elegant) brushed nickel. The only reason I am on my 3rd one is because Hunter graciously continues to send us replacement units even though their warranty does NOT cover rust. I actually went out and purchased a different brand fan, (I'll have Titanic-esque "rusticles" hanging from this thing in another month or two) but the motor unit that mounts into the ceiling was smaller than the one in the Hunter Riazzi unit currently installed, and I didn't want to have to figure out a way to make the opening in the ceiling smaller.)

We do not live near the ocean where it might see salt air. It is not installed outside, in some sort of makeshift shed, or in an environment where it would see moisture all of the time. It's a bathroom fan for goodness sakes. It was installed by a licensed contractor, It's installed correctly, and vented to the outside of my house through the attic (and there's no issues with the short tube that carries the vapor away to a vent in the soffit). It sees 20 minutes of moisture a day. It's supposed to see moisture, right? The fact that these things rust at all, let alone so quickly, is awful.

Hunter customer service was nice, and they thus far have always offered me a replacement unit (which is great and all). I always request a rust-proofed version, or a different model (I don't care what it looks like, as long as it doesn't rust in 3 months) but Hunter customer service was not able to tell me which of their other fans use the same motor "squirrel cage" (motor housing size- which is surprising and disappointing). I sent the picture that is attached to Hunter customer service, and they didn't seem to care. You'd think that this kind of problem might make its way to their engineering department.

All those who have given this unit glowing reviews- take the cover off (like you were changing a light bulb) and tell me what you see.

For the record- I have never written a review for any product here on Amazon- or any other site. I am just trying to save someone the hassle of dealing with this poorly-designed product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid Product, May 27, 2010
JB "JB" (Olney, MD USA) - See all my reviews
Fan is solid and easy to install. Works well and is reasonably quite. My only complaint is the frosted glass limits the light output. Very nice looking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful modern light/fan combo!, August 10, 2012
I chose this fan/light for our bathroom b/c I like the design and it's energy-star compliant. It's got a nice modern look and provides fairly bright light since it uses two bulbs (not included). To most people it looks just like a light, not a standard (sorta ugly) grated-ceiling fan so it's a bonus that it's a powerful fan as well. Our bathroom is medium sized but has a really high lofted ceiling that opens up into our bedroom so the power of it is great. It draws in a lot of air but is pretty quiet which is nice. It has a nightlight feature which we haven't used yet b/c we still need to buy a nightlight bulb.
A helpful note...I could not find the dimensions of the actual fan before I bought it but I read in another review that it was larger than they expected. I agree! I still really like it and b/c our ceiling is so high, it doesn't look too big for the room but it would look too big in a small bathroom. It's 15 inches in diameter.
In another review (possibly of a different Hunter fan), the person wrote that they chose a lesser-powered fan b/c they didn't want wind blowing on them. But I'm not sure how that was possible b/c the fan sucks in air up at ceiling level. We placed the fan on the 12 ft ceiling right over our shower and that isn't an issue at all.
Overall this is a powerful fan that (hopefully) uses less energy and looks great! Highly recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars Clean, quiet, good looking, October 8, 2012
This fan has alow profile, very quiet operation, yet adequate volume to easily handle the bathroom with a large shower. Installation was straightforward except for the instruction to install a cable restraint in the inlet box. This cannot be done with the light fixture overhead unless you have a third arm. It is is a nice-looking unit with good light output.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful fan, December 21, 2009
eLisa (Seattle, WA) - See all my reviews
Everyone asks us where we got this fan, its really a pretty light/fan. Very contemporary looking and holds up to the elements in the bathroom. It also has two settings, nightlight and regular light. I'm really happy with this purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect solution!, February 28, 2012
Vi (Cranbrook, BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
The Riazzi bath fan and light is simple understated elegance in the bathroom. My partner and I installed this one with a tri switch (like this one on Amazon: Broan P65W 3-Way Heater/Fan/Light Switch)and it is performing beautifully. Most bathroom fans are eyesores, but not only is this one great to look at, it is also the quietest fan I have ever been around. I love the two choices for light output, and we are planning on experimenting with colours for the night light. Light output is soft and diffused, which I like in the bathroom, and blends well with the two pendant lights we have over our vanity. Great choice, easy to install.

4.0 out of 5 stars good item, January 9, 2012
its pretty big, so you need to have a pretty big shower or bathroom. its nice that it has a night light too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best all the way around, January 4, 2012
It has the quietest exhaust fan ever. Sheds soft light. I think it is good for illuminating 100 square feet area. Has a good finish, easy to install, easy to change bulb. Has a night bulb option too. I highly recommend this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quiet fan that works great!, March 25, 2011
We bought this fan to replace a different manufacturer's fan that we had just replaced last year. The other manufacturer's motor just didn't hold up, and was much noisier than this fan. This one is quiet and really does the job of clearing the humidity out of our large bathroom. We also like the nice light and nightlight feature. We would recommend this fan. The only down side was that it was a teeny bit complicated to install (lots of wires), so we decided to call an electrician to do it. It took him less than an hour.